[ksurf] Re: Honolulu Star-Bulletin kite surfing article

  • rick@nuttingengineers.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 1999
      Hung Vu wrote:

      > > An article & great picture of Robbie Naish getting some air...
      >
      > http://starbulletin.com/1999/07/27/features/story3.html
      >
      > Bob
      >

      > I had a look at the article and both flattered and disappointed at the
      > same time. The editor had obviously read my site and even used some of
      > the original phrases or sentences (with very minor modifications) such
      > as:

      Hello Hung,

      I hear you on the 10 knot and whitecap kitesurfing guideline. They seem
      to have had a big typo in that one, otherwise nobody would be
      kitesurfing in parts of Hawaii. They have had very strong trade winds
      out there these days. Last week in Maui the winds were typically 20-30
      mph with one day ranging from 30-45 mph along certain parts of the North
      Coast. On any given day I would guess that 30 folks would be out
      kitesurfing at various times between Sprecks and Kahana Beach. It is
      interesting that once I gave up trying to use a 5.0 m Wipika for all but
      the lighter wind range that things started to come together and became
      enjoyable. Prior to that time I thought that I had forgotten how to
      kitesurf! The 3.5 m (actually 3.0 m ?) and new 4.0 m Wipikas worked
      pretty well up to about 40 mph. I had a tendency to get launched (170#),
      in the 40 mph+ gusts even with the 3.5 m!

      The have some incredible riders off Sprecks most afternoons with
      inflatables and a few soft foil kites, jumping like crazy and staying
      upwind for the entire session. About half are on wakeboards and the
      rest on kitesurfing boards. Aside from beach launching and jibing
      techniques the performance of the two board types seemed similar. I
      suspect that the similar performance had more to do with the high skill
      levels of Flash Austin , Don Montague, Rush Randle, Chris Gilbert and
      many others as opposed to the type of board. I used both types of boards
      and generally ended up well down wind between dealing with gusts and
      dodging reefs. There are quite a few Naish and Wipika kites in use. I
      suspect the Naish kites belong to team riders and associates as they are
      still not shipped for purchase on the island. I am not sure why more
      soft foils were not in use as they seem to be gaining favor quickly in
      other parts of the world.

      High wind kitesurfing provides quite a constrast to the light Florida
      winds that we have had this summer so far. I get excited when we have
      sustained 13 mph+ winds in Florida and can go out and power up with a
      soft foil. In these conditions my Wipika 8.5 m stays in the closet and
      the F one 6.5 m goes out on the water.

      Good winds!
      Rick
    • o1withwind@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 1999
        hi there,
        I've been here in Honolulu for the past ten days flying with the Naish
        guys. They tell me that the Naish kites will be available very soon as
        well as some great boards which I got the opertunity to try both of.
        The first production run of Naish kites to come in are 7m and 5m kites
        and they are very impresive kites. I got to hang out with Randy Naish
        at the shop Yesterday and watch some of the construction of a new
        kiteboard for Don Montague. It was a 6'2" slalom board. Randy naish
        says he see the kitesurf boards getting shorter in the future. Most of
        the Naish kites out there right now are owned by hawaii locals as they
        are not shiping yet but you can get one if you come and get it
        personaly. The kitesurfing at Kailua Bay is great and I learned better
        how to jump while I've been here. The Naish kites are great for
        jumping with their higher aspect ratio.
        Watch for posts about my new Website to be launched in about two weeks
        - www.kitesurf-reviews.com The first reviews will be the Naish
        kites and boards which I demoed while I've been here. Much thanks to
        Des of Naish kites for his time and kites.
        PEACE&WIND
        Josh Young<o1withwind@...>

        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=3977

      • srosso@bunge.com.br
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 1999
          From the article in the Star

          Kite surfing rules

          1. Don't kite surf in winds stronger than 10 knots.
          <snip>
          14. Wear a helmet in strong wind (25+ knots) and choppy water.

          What rules are these ?? not only do they contradict but ideal kitesurfing
          wind is probably in the 10-20 knot range !
        • Cat-thief
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 1999