Re: [ksurf] Risky Business / "blind" Online shopping carts

  • alan.linsley@ca.pwcglobal.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2001
      Interesting thread,

      Here in Vancouver, many of the local instructors offer deals with certain
      shops. The costs of the lessons come off the price of the kite at certain
      shops.
      This way, someone can take a lesson, get aquainted with the kite, its
      power, and safety precautions with someone who is at least reasonably
      experienced. Or, conversely, if someone walks in and wants a kite, the
      dealer can say, sure, lessons are included, call so-and-so.

      This can take $150 out of the margin a dealer gets on Kite+Board, which
      could discourage dealers from pushing the lesons.

      To solve this, I'd like to see local retailers offer a morning workshop on
      a regular basis. You could show new purchasers of kites how to rig, setup,
      land and launch, as well as some key safety rules. It wouldn't be as
      valuable as a series of lessons, but for those people who insist on
      learning by trial and error, it could save some disasters at the beach.
      The retailers would be out of pocket the price of one or two persons'
      salaries for a morning, and develop some good customer relationships.

      This does not help in the used marketplace/online.

      Alan
      computer.
    • Kitepower
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2001
        Personally I see no difference in the responsibility between the retailer
        and the non retailer selling new or used gear.
        Whether you define your responsibility as conscience or duty bound is
        irrelevant, if private sellers take no responsibility, they are making a
        major contribution towards a limited future for this sport.
        I know retailer bashing is a global sport now, but everyone really must take
        personal responsibility for making a difference in their world.
        Otherwise wear an ostrich costume and act appropriately!!! ;-)

        Cya and
        Goodwinds
        Steve McCormack
        http://www.kitepower.com.au
        mailto:sydney@...
        Open 7 days
        126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
        Phone +61293157894