RE: [ksurf] Board Dilema........

  • Kitepower
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
      G'day Callum
      What sort of board is it? What other boards have you ridden that you liked
      and could get upwind on?

      Cya and
      Goodwinds
      Steve McCormack
      http://www.kitepower.com.au
      mailto:sydney@...
      Open 7 days
      126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
      Phone +61293157894

      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
        Hi Steve,

        It's from a company in NZ called Carbon Art, they make excellent
        windsurf boards.

        When I brought the guy in the shop told me it the board blank was
        shapped by underground, then sent to carbon art for finnishing. How
        accurate that is I don't know, You can see the direct similarities
        with the undergrounds so I think it is probably true. The windsurf
        shop in NZ had asked for some carbon art kiteboards because they had
        sold alot of carbon art windsurf boards and there customers were
        asking for CA kiteboards.

        Stonker Classics are the boards I have gone upwind on, The slightly
        older glass versions - I havn't tried one of the newer ones. The
        Stonkers are a fair bit more forgiving than my board and are a bit
        floatier.

        Callum

        unsubscribe@egroups.com>>>

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • thorpes@arklogic.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
          --- In kitesurf@y..., callum@d... wrote:

          > When I brought the guy in the shop told me it the board blank was
          > shapped by underground, ...

          ...whatever you do don't mention FAKE RUBBER CHICKENS! ;-)

          Steve T.
        • Mel
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 2, 2001
            <callum@...> wrote:

            > ...the back
            > pushes downwind, and the nose shoots upwind, ...

            Maybe you're "spinning out", in which case larger fin(s) may help, as will
            riding in the trim loop.

            Mel
          • callum@dr.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 2, 2001
              --- In kitesurf@y..., Mel <kitebord@p...> wrote:
              > <callum@d...> wrote:
              >
              > > ...the back
              > > pushes downwind, and the nose shoots upwind, ...
              >
              > Maybe you're "spinning out", in which case larger fin(s) may help,
              as will
              > riding in the trim loop.
              >
              > Mel

              Thanks for the sugestion mel. I have been thinking it might be the
              opposite, Fins to big, when at speed the board gets very skippy,
              causing me to loose the edge, It has four fins in it and compared to
              other directionals I would say they are on the large side.

              I am thinking of putting the front fins in the back of the board and
              modifying some other fins to be shapped like the little twin tip fins
              and putting these in the front boxes. Hopefully that will give grip
              without producing to much lift.

              What do you think?
              Callum
            • Kitepower
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 2, 2001
                What type of fins does the board take Callum, I may have some you can borrow
                to test your theory.
                I will ask Underground about the origins of your board too.

                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 2, 2001
                  > What type of fins does the board take Callum, I may have some you
                  can borrow
                  > to test your theory.
                  > I will ask Underground about the origins of your board too.

                  Hi Steve,

                  It takes the "standard box" fins. They have a pin at the back and the
                  front has a bolt trough it which bolts into a slider bolt inside the
                  box. I'm sure you know the ones - not exactly common on kite boards
                  though :( If you have something that I could try that would be
                  great, otherwise I'm going to have to find some cheap ones somewhere
                  and take a grinder to them.

                  It would be great if you could ask underground about the board, it
                  would be good to know for sure. Was in one of the shops up here
                  yesterday, they had a second hand underground in there that to me
                  looked identical.

                  Thanks Heaps, let me know about the fins - or if you can source some
                  other cheap ones with that system - to take the grinder to!!

                  Callum
                • Tim
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 2, 2001
                    I agree that too large of fins (especially side fins) is most likely your
                    problem. A too big side fin will stall easy like a wing, and the lift from
                    the fin will fail, causing it to spin out. It's a common problem with
                    surfboards in big waves. A smaller side fin in combo with a little larger
                    trailing fin will hold much better than a larger side fin. It doesn't seem
                    true, but it is.

                    Tim

                  • DaveTerry@c4image.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 2, 2001
                      At 9:15 PM 10/2/01, Tim wrote:
                      >I agree that too large of fins (especially side fins) is most likely your
                      >problem. A too big side fin will stall easy like a wing, and the lift from
                      >the fin will fail, causing it to spin out. It's a common problem with
                      >surfboards in big waves. A smaller side fin in combo with a little larger
                      >trailing fin will hold much better than a larger side fin. It doesn't seem
                      >true, but it is.
                      This stuff really gets me going! It's a drag...but I must explain.
                      The process of edging is considerably different than that of planeing..A
                      windsurfer is designed to plane on the smallest area possible,stabalized by
                      a ventral vertical wing(the fin) which is about six times smaller than the
                      dorsal sail(wing).. A kiteboard is designed to hold a grip(traction) on the
                      kite. The kite is flying because you're a drag. Remember standing on the
                      ground? The kite flies because of your mass. The edge of a kiteboard is
                      like the brushes between the core and magnetic field of electricity. You
                      need to get a grip on the water and this brings us back to the side fin of
                      your board.
                      When the edge is one long line, water wants to flow along this line, which
                      is good for speed. This slips and you move to either side on a wake
                      board, litterally planeing on the edge. The little tail fins on the wakey's
                      are like vector points the pilot uses to carve on, feeling the drag
                      flowing off this last point of attachment on the board. Now, you go and
                      stick a big wing on this thing and you're going to experience some very
                      different dynamics.
                      I ride a 5' Extreme Sports Little Bugga. It came with two 4 inch rear fins
                      and 2 canards located on the sides between my feet. When I first started
                      using this great little surfboard type directional, I loved those little
                      canards. Then I tried a couple of larger canards, which were actually
                      little fins instead of the cresent shaped canards. These sucked! What was
                      wrong? The board was feeling heavier and the turns were ...well, it sure
                      didn't feel like a surfboard! I checked out some underwater footage of Rob
                      Naishs board (I'm a cameraman.) passing a camera and saw the effect. The
                      little canards worked fine as long as the board was going at the correct
                      angle, but as soon as the water started flowing down and around these
                      canard fins(sliding sideways to the direction of motion), they were just
                      boiling with drag, spraying bubbles and useless. The effect of these fins
                      is to extend the turn by adding lift which actually wants to roll the board
                      flat again. This is like shooting pool with a broom to make certain you hit
                      the ball!
                      To extend the turn on a fluid plane, dig more of the rail into the water.
                      You'll need to carve along the waves and get in sync with the speed of your
                      ass flying over the sea. This is why the wakeys work. It's all rail. One
                      problem with trying to use the rail, is when you're going thirty in a gale,
                      on a rounded rail, you'll never have enough mass to grip the fluid, as you
                      slide down into the powerzone, wishing you were at home sipping a good cup
                      of hot tea.And I could go on and on...
                      Well...The end result of this discourse is to simply say, learn to use
                      whatever board you have and if your can learn to adjust the fins to your
                      needs, it's to your advantage. You make it go. It's just a tail for your
                      mass to plane up on.

                      Dave Terry@...
                      POB 321
                      Haiku, Hi. 96708
                      phonefax-808-573-9120
                    • Kitepower

                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 2, 2001
                          That'd be cool steve. Do you have any of the NSI real leashes in
                          stock?

                          > I have some of those fins here that you can have, they were
                          leftover from an
                          > Underground, before they switched their fin mounting system.
                          >
                          > Cya and
                          > Goodwinds
                          > Steve McCormack
                          > http://www.kitepower.com.au
                          > mailto:sydney@k...
                          > Open 7 days
                          > Phone +61293157894

                        • Decay
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 3, 2001
                            I only just been able to reply to this post, but David has covered it below.

                            Your front two fins are too large, they are causing so much turblence your
                            rear fins are basically running in a mix of air and water. As the fins don't
                            hold very well in this mix your tail will spin out soon as you start to load
                            it up.

                            Also most people don't have enough strength in their ankles to push against
                            the lift of 4 large fins and angle the board.

                            First move would be to remove the front fins completely - plenty of large UG
                            directional riders ride these boards like that and quite like the better
                            steering this gives. If you want a bit more directional stability than this
                            gives, replace the fronts with 1.5" to 2" cut down fins, these can have a
                            nice long base, but any deeper than about 2.5" and you are likely to run
                            into spin out problems again.

                            Decay

                            > I ride a 5' Extreme Sports Little Bugga. It came with two 4 inch rear fins
                            > and 2 canards located on the sides between my feet. When I first started
                            > using this great little surfboard type directional, I loved those little
                            > canards. Then I tried a couple of larger canards, which were actually
                            > little fins instead of the cresent shaped canards. These sucked! What was
                            > wrong? The board was feeling heavier and the turns were ...well, it sure
                            > didn't feel like a surfboard! I checked out some underwater footage of
                            Rob
                            > Naishs board (I'm a cameraman.) passing a camera and saw the effect. The
                            > little canards worked fine as long as the board was going at the correct
                            > angle, but as soon as the water started flowing down and around these
                            > canard fins(sliding sideways to the direction of motion), they were just
                            > boiling with drag, spraying bubbles and useless. The effect of these fins
                            > is to extend the turn by adding lift which actually wants to roll the
                            board
                            > flat again. This is like shooting pool with a broom to make certain you
                            hit
                            > the ball!
                          • Kitepower
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 3, 2001
                              Bugga boards are actually rebadged Undergrounds, the fins supplied with the
                              board should work fine. Fronts are usually 2.5" Surf Dogs (Wakestyle fins)
                              and the rears are FCS ranging from Gl to G5 single or double foil.
                              Many riders here use all FCS.

                              Cya and
                              Goodwinds
                              Steve McCormack
                              http://www.kitepower.com.au
                              mailto:sydney@...
                              126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
                              Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
                              Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
                              I only just been able to reply to this post, but David has covered it below.

                              Your front two fins are too large, they are causing so much turblence your
                              rear fins are basically running in a mix of air and water. As the fins don't
                              hold very well in this mix your tail will spin out soon as you start to load
                              it up.

                              Also most people don't have enough strength in their ankles to push against
                              the lift of 4 large fins and angle the board.

                              First move would be to remove the front fins completely - plenty of large UG
                              directional riders ride these boards like that and quite like the better
                              steering this gives. If you want a bit more directional stability than this
                              gives, replace the fronts with 1.5" to 2" cut down fins, these can have a
                              nice long base, but any deeper than about 2.5" and you are likely to run
                              into spin out problems again.

                              Decay

                              > I ride a 5' Extreme Sports Little Bugga. It came with two 4 inch rear fins
                              > and 2 canards located on the sides between my feet. When I first started
                              > using this great little surfboard type directional, I loved those little
                              > canards. Then I tried a couple of larger canards, which were actually
                              > little fins instead of the cresent shaped canards. These sucked! What was
                              > wrong? The board was feeling heavier and the turns were ...well, it sure
                              > didn't feel like a surfboard! I checked out some underwater footage of
                              Rob
                              > Naishs board (I'm a cameraman.) passing a camera and saw the effect. The
                              > little canards worked fine as long as the board was going at the correct
                              > angle, but as soon as the water started flowing down and around these
                              > canard fins(sliding sideways to the direction of motion), they were just
                              > boiling with drag, spraying bubbles and useless. The effect of these fins
                              > is to extend the turn by adding lift which actually wants to roll the
                              board
                              > flat again. This is like shooting pool with a broom to make certain you
                              hit
                              > the ball!

                            • Kitepower
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 3, 2001
                                We have had a shipment go astray, but will have replacement stock by the end
                                of next week - that is what I was promised yesterday.
                                So, yes we normally do have reel leashes, but at this moment in time I am
                                out of stock.