[ksurf] Re: Honolulu Star-Bulletin kite surfing article

  • Hung Vu
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 1999

      > An article & great picture of Robbie Naish getting some air...

      http://starbulletin.com/1999/07/27/features/story3.html

      Bob

      I had a look at the article and both flattered and disappointed at the
      same time. The editor had obviously read my site and even used some of
      the original phrases or sentences (with very minor modifications) such
      as:

      "A kite surfer stands on a board with foot straps and uses the power of
      the kite to propel him and the board across the water. The body is the
      only connection between the kite and the board and both must be
      controlled at the same time"
      "A kite generates lift like an airplane wing. Since lift is proportional
      to the size of a kite, some kite flyers realized if you make a kite big
      enough it would generate enough power to propel a vehicle on land, snow,
      ice or water. This is called a traction kite."
      "The introduction of the multiple line controllable kite allowed the
      flyer to actually pilot the kite in the sky"
      "As soon as the traction kite was introduced, a number of kite flyers
      started thinking of using kites to replace conventional sails in water
      sports like windsurfing"
      " learning how to kite surf is actually easier and takes less time than
      learning how to windsurf."
      "Do not kite surf without a dead-man safety release system that allows
      you to disable the kite at any moment."
      "Never kite surf near power lines or airports"
      "Flying lines can cut. Never let yourself or others have a chance of
      getting tangled up in flying lines."
      "Wear a life jacket."
      "Wear a helmet in strong wind (25+ knots) and choppy water"
      "Make sure there is a "friendly" beach downwind from where you start"

      I wish the editor had at least sent me a note to mention that he
      intended to do so! I would have been flattered and thanked him! On the
      other hand, I am not sure where he got the idea of:

      "Don't kite surf in winds stronger than 10 knots."
      "Avoid white cap conditions."

      Wind more than 10 knots and white cap conditions sounds very much like
      kitesurfing paradise to me!

      Hung.
    • rick@nuttingengineers.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 1999
        Hung Vu wrote:

        > > An article & great picture of Robbie Naish getting some air...
        >
        > http://starbulletin.com/1999/07/27/features/story3.html
        >
        > Bob
        >

        > I had a look at the article and both flattered and disappointed at the
        > same time. The editor had obviously read my site and even used some of
        > the original phrases or sentences (with very minor modifications) such
        > as:

        Hello Hung,

        I hear you on the 10 knot and whitecap kitesurfing guideline. They seem
        to have had a big typo in that one, otherwise nobody would be
        kitesurfing in parts of Hawaii. They have had very strong trade winds
        out there these days. Last week in Maui the winds were typically 20-30
        mph with one day ranging from 30-45 mph along certain parts of the North
        Coast. On any given day I would guess that 30 folks would be out
        kitesurfing at various times between Sprecks and Kahana Beach. It is
        interesting that once I gave up trying to use a 5.0 m Wipika for all but
        the lighter wind range that things started to come together and became
        enjoyable. Prior to that time I thought that I had forgotten how to
        kitesurf! The 3.5 m (actually 3.0 m ?) and new 4.0 m Wipikas worked
        pretty well up to about 40 mph. I had a tendency to get launched (170#),
        in the 40 mph+ gusts even with the 3.5 m!

        The have some incredible riders off Sprecks most afternoons with
        inflatables and a few soft foil kites, jumping like crazy and staying
        upwind for the entire session. About half are on wakeboards and the
        rest on kitesurfing boards. Aside from beach launching and jibing
        techniques the performance of the two board types seemed similar. I
        suspect that the similar performance had more to do with the high skill
        levels of Flash Austin , Don Montague, Rush Randle, Chris Gilbert and
        many others as opposed to the type of board. I used both types of boards
        and generally ended up well down wind between dealing with gusts and
        dodging reefs. There are quite a few Naish and Wipika kites in use. I
        suspect the Naish kites belong to team riders and associates as they are
        still not shipped for purchase on the island. I am not sure why more
        soft foils were not in use as they seem to be gaining favor quickly in
        other parts of the world.

        High wind kitesurfing provides quite a constrast to the light Florida
        winds that we have had this summer so far. I get excited when we have
        sustained 13 mph+ winds in Florida and can go out and power up with a
        soft foil. In these conditions my Wipika 8.5 m stays in the closet and
        the F one 6.5 m goes out on the water.

        Good winds!
        Rick
      • o1withwind@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 1999
          hi there,
          I've been here in Honolulu for the past ten days flying with the Naish
          guys. They tell me that the Naish kites will be available very soon as
          well as some great boards which I got the opertunity to try both of.
          The first production run of Naish kites to come in are 7m and 5m kites
          and they are very impresive kites. I got to hang out with Randy Naish
          at the shop Yesterday and watch some of the construction of a new
          kiteboard for Don Montague. It was a 6'2" slalom board. Randy naish
          says he see the kitesurf boards getting shorter in the future. Most of
          the Naish kites out there right now are owned by hawaii locals as they
          are not shiping yet but you can get one if you come and get it
          personaly. The kitesurfing at Kailua Bay is great and I learned better
          how to jump while I've been here. The Naish kites are great for
          jumping with their higher aspect ratio.
          Watch for posts about my new Website to be launched in about two weeks
          - www.kitesurf-reviews.com The first reviews will be the Naish
          kites and boards which I demoed while I've been here. Much thanks to
          Des of Naish kites for his time and kites.
          PEACE&WIND
          Josh Young<o1withwind@...>

          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=3977

        • srosso@bunge.com.br
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 1999
            From the article in the Star

            Kite surfing rules

            1. Don't kite surf in winds stronger than 10 knots.
            <snip>
            14. Wear a helmet in strong wind (25+ knots) and choppy water.

            What rules are these ?? not only do they contradict but ideal kitesurfing
            wind is probably in the 10-20 knot range !
          • Cat-thief
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2, 1999