Re: Helmets - get one

  • pjaffe@mindless.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2001
      A helmet is a GREAT IDEA. Even as I've been getting more
      experienced, it's saved me from numerous injuries. Whether it's the
      board, a big fall, or some debris you didn't see, you'll be glad you
      had one.

    • tomclift@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 25, 2001
        Its amazing the number of guys who gash their heads with their fins
        or boards and still refuse to get helmets...

        Gath helmets, like the white one I wear, does three things.

        It's protected my head against a few knocks in heavy surf.
        It really helps with glare from the sun. I think of it like skiing -
        you don't go up in the mountains without goggles - and most often a
        beanie. When I go kiting and the winds up - then you go for as long
        as my legs can take it - and thats at least 3 hours per session if
        full australian sunlight. Gath is cool white, has a a glare visor
        which you can pull down - rather like a motorbike helmet. You can
        also use a water repellant on the screen. Works great.

        And thirdly - in the winter it keeps you really warm - seeing that a
        huge proportion of body warmth escapes from your head and feet.

        Go the helmet. Hey - they don't look that bad either.

        Tom
        If the Winds Up -
        Ride it.