Re: Small fear of SHARKS

  • smh8d@virginia.edu
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2001
      Concerning sharks. People say that you have a better chance of being struck by lightning than you do of being eaten by a shark. Sure, that may be true but how are you getting that number? I would assume taking the amount of people that live in the United States and dividing that number by how many people are struck per year. With shark attacks I would bet the numbers are compiled the same way. So your chances of being bit are one in millions. But how many of those people (factored into the equation) are actually out in the ocean swimming around, bobbing up and down like a lure and swimming in looking like a wounded seal after a wipe out? Not many. With kiting you are in the water for hours at a time unlike the typical swimmer or tourist playing in the ocean for say only 20minutes. I don't want to scare anyone but I just think the chances of running into a shark are greater than being struck by lightning. Maybe about the same odds as being struck by lightning while playing golf in a lightning storm. Anyway, maybe I am just a little concerned because I was kiteboarding in the ocean in Avon, NC September 3rd when two people were eaten by a shark, one fatally. I was teaching a friend how to body drag and was in the water all day. I crashed my kite in the ocean about a mile out and I swam in from 4 to 4:45pm and the attacks happened at the exact spot around 5:30. Pretty scary scene the next day seeing about two dozen news crews parked in the parking lot and filming the ocean where you kite. But why bitch, kiteboarding is worth the risk. Its just to much fun to let some minor detail like sharks get in the way of the unbelievable experience of kiteboarding. Kite on.

      {