Helmets - get one

  • Andre Myburgh
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2001
      > I am going to get me a helmet !

      [AM]
      After yesterday's session, I'm convinced that a helmet is an absolute must.
      Even if I weren't wearing a leash (to my harness), the wave would still have
      slammed the board to my head. This happened twice in one session - two huge
      knocks that would surely have concussed me (I know, I was once unconscious
      for 2hrs after a similar knock while playing rugby) if I weren't wearing a
      helmet. I use a Gath, but even a cheaper skateboard type would have saved me
      - all knocks have been to the back of the head.
    • pjaffe@mindless.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2001
        A helmet is a GREAT IDEA. Even as I've been getting more
        experienced, it's saved me from numerous injuries. Whether it's the
        board, a big fall, or some debris you didn't see, you'll be glad you
        had one.

      • tomclift@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 25, 2001
          Its amazing the number of guys who gash their heads with their fins
          or boards and still refuse to get helmets...

          Gath helmets, like the white one I wear, does three things.

          It's protected my head against a few knocks in heavy surf.
          It really helps with glare from the sun. I think of it like skiing -
          you don't go up in the mountains without goggles - and most often a
          beanie. When I go kiting and the winds up - then you go for as long
          as my legs can take it - and thats at least 3 hours per session if
          full australian sunlight. Gath is cool white, has a a glare visor
          which you can pull down - rather like a motorbike helmet. You can
          also use a water repellant on the screen. Works great.

          And thirdly - in the winter it keeps you really warm - seeing that a
          huge proportion of body warmth escapes from your head and feet.

          Go the helmet. Hey - they don't look that bad either.

          Tom
          If the Winds Up -
          Ride it.