Re: Risky Business / "blind" Online shopping carts

  • dave@machelp.com.au
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2001
      This issue of inexperienced people buying kites was shown to me again
      recently.

      As a kite retailer I avoid sales to those who can't after purchase come
      with me to the beach in under 10 knots and be shown safely how to
      control their powerful new toy, or go to a proper instructor for
      lessons. However while down the beach a few days ago I came across a
      kitesurfer with an 11.5m 4 line kite setting up. The wind was 15 to 20
      knots and I asked if he'd been out in this strength of wind before. He
      said he had not but had practised body dragging in lighter wind and
      claimed he had a good understanding of kite control. So in assistance I
      helped him launch. The kite was airborne for about 5 seconds each
      launch with the inevitable crash preceded by a massive drag or lift on
      the fortunately soft sand which left this kiter somewhat bruised.

      Each time the kite launched this kiter was apparently not able to
      carefully bring the kite to the zenith via the window edge. Instead the
      kite would careen across the powerzone with no control evident, with
      the kiter just hanging on.

      After these events the kiter decided wisely to stop. Fortunately the
      beach was relatively deserted otherwise things could have got worse.

      I'm not sure exactly where he purchased his kite from, it was possibly
      a friend who said it was easy to learn.

      Anyway, although it may not be possible to stop beginners buying a kite
      with no lessons but the ability to harm themselves, others and our
      sport there is something most kitesurfers can do. Even if the person on
      the beach says he had some experience, (and you don't really know how
      much), check his setup and help him to launch safely in a safe place
      and see if he can control the kite. Then if he looks like he can't
      really control the kite offer the assistance of someone who can to help
      him learn.

      I would have followed this person up further but there was another
      kiter in trouble in the building wind and by the time I'd helped him
      the first kiter had gone.

      It could be a wild summer in Australia if we aren't careful so please
      take care and help others to do likewise.

      And have fun, Dave (Dr Surf Australia 02 4443 7665) COM