Re: Naish Mutant

  • vide72au@yahoo.com.au
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2001
      Hendrik,

      Did you end up getting a Mutant? I just read your post from a
      month ago - and I have to say I love my Mutant. Easy board to
      ride, and rip on.

      One the weekend I rode My Mutant, a 142 wakeboard and a 166
      twin tip, and I enjoyed my Mutant the most. Everytime I ride a
      wakeboard I like it more and more - but I love having the fins on
      the Mutant for easy loading up for massive jumps.

      There is no way I can yet jump as big on a twin or wakeboard . If
      you have windsurfed and can gybe a directional OK - moving to
      gybing a two strap board is not that much of a big deal. The
      Mutant rides toe-side great, and also fins first, but I gybe mostly
      for big jumps on both tacks.

      The Mutant planes early - and does me fine as my only board
      from 13-35knots.

      This board can edge and load up like you wouldn't believe. I got
      easiliy my biggest jump in 2 years on Sat. A couple of the guys
      on the beach said the air was the biggest they had ever seen.
      One guy said it was 'Powerzone size' and I am no pro.

      I think if you like the secure feeling of fins, and like big floaty airs
      - then the mutant is great. If you dont mind bindings, want to do
      more technical tricks at lower altitude and want really smooth
      transitions with no feet changes then go a wake or twin tip.

      After Saturday - I think I will only ever ride the Mutant or a
      wakeboard from now on.

      DT
    • David Trewern
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2001
        Colin,

        Biggest kite is 13.5, and I guess low end is 13 knots? Low end though is
        getting upwind and jumping.

        DT

        > Message: 11
        > Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 10:40:50 -0400
        > From: "Colin Gowland" <colin-gowland@...>
        > Subject: Re: Re: Naish Mutant
        >
        > What size mutant do you have? What is the low end on it with your
        > biggest
        > kite and what is your biggest kite?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Colin
      • Hendrik
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 2, 2001
          DT,

          I indeed ended getting a Mutant and can't thank the people of this
          group enough that recommended me this board. It has become my all-
          condition board, which was the purpose, and sails exactly the way you
          described it. I too made my highest jumps with this board. Much
          higher than with my previous directional. I also did my first decent
          toe-side racks with it, which is a very exiting and different
          experience for a windsurfer. But what I probably like as much as its
          excelent sailing properties is the very strong (but a little heavier)
          way it is built.

          The only thing that I haven't quite figured out yet is the best way
          to jibe it, altough (but maybe also because) I have a lot of windsurf-
          jibing experience. Maybe you could help me speed up the process?

          Thanks in advance,

          hendrik

          --- In kitesurf@y..., vide72au@y... wrote:
          > Hendrik,
          >
          > Did you end up getting a Mutant? I just read your post from a
          > month ago - and I have to say I love my Mutant. Easy board to
          > ride, and rip on.
          >
          > One the weekend I rode My Mutant, a 142 wakeboard and a 166
          > twin tip, and I enjoyed my Mutant the most. Everytime I ride a
          > wakeboard I like it more and more - but I love having the fins on
          > the Mutant for easy loading up for massive jumps.
          >
          > There is no way I can yet jump as big on a twin or wakeboard . If
          > you have windsurfed and can gybe a directional OK - moving to
          > gybing a two strap board is not that much of a big deal. The
          > Mutant rides toe-side great, and also fins first, but I gybe mostly
          > for big jumps on both tacks.
          >
          > The Mutant planes early - and does me fine as my only board
          > from 13-35knots.
          >
          > This board can edge and load up like you wouldn't believe. I got
          > easiliy my biggest jump in 2 years on Sat. A couple of the guys
          > on the beach said the air was the biggest they had ever seen.
          > One guy said it was 'Powerzone size' and I am no pro.
          >
          > I think if you like the secure feeling of fins, and like big floaty
          airs
          > - then the mutant is great. If you dont mind bindings, want to do
          > more technical tricks at lower altitude and want really smooth
          > transitions with no feet changes then go a wake or twin tip.
          >
          > After Saturday - I think I will only ever ride the Mutant or a
          > wakeboard from now on.
          >
          > DT
        • David Trewern
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 2, 2001
            Henrik,

            Glad you like your Naish Mutant.

            I don't have any special tips for jybing, other than to say gybe as you
            would on a 3 strap board - and don't be too put off by not having your
            feet in straps. The mutant is a very solid ride and stable board - and
            it's surprising how well it tracks in turns even trough heavy chop -
            thanks to it's channels and fins (and maybe even weight?).

            Before I tried it, I thought gybing a two strap board would be
            impossible - but if you have the kite in the right place to keep you
            balanced, you can still crank around without feet in straps.

            I do gybe more gingerly than i used too - but trying to get more
            aggressive on each gybe. try and have at least one foot in a strap, and
            rest your other foot up against a strap for grip. When on my 'natural'
            tack I gybe in the straps and change feet as I come out of the gybe.
            When on my opposite tack, I take feet out and switch as i go into the
            turn.

            Hope this helps.

            DT

            > Message: 15
            > Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 11:55:22 -0000
            > From: "Hendrik" <h.verbeelen@...>
            > Subject: Re: Naish Mutant
            >
            > DT,
            >
            > I indeed ended getting a Mutant and can't thank the people of this
            > group enough that recommended me this board. It has become my all-
            > condition board, which was the purpose, and sails exactly the way you
            > described it. I too made my highest jumps with this board. Much
            > higher than with my previous directional. I also did my first decent
            > toe-side racks with it, which is a very exiting and different
            > experience for a windsurfer. But what I probably like as much as its
            > excelent sailing properties is the very strong (but a little heavier)
            > way it is built.
            >
            > The only thing that I haven't quite figured out yet is the best way
            > to jibe it, altough (but maybe also because) I have a lot of windsurf-
            > jibing experience. Maybe you could help me speed up the process?
            >
            > Thanks in advance,
            >
            > hendrik
            D a v i d   T r e w e r n   D e s i g n

            i.   www.dtdesign.com
            e.  david@...
            t.  +61 3 9429 2799
            f.  +61 3 9429 8706

            This email is intended for the addressee only. The information
            transmitted
            within this email may be confidential and subject to copyright. No-one
            else
            may read, print, store, copy, forward or act in reliance on all or any
            of it or
            its attachments. If you received this email in error, please immediately
            destroy it and any copies and let us know by reply email or phone. Any
            views expressed in this email are those of the author and are not
            necessarily
            shared by David Trewern Design Pty Ltd.
          • Hendrik
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 3, 2001
              thanks for the reply

              I'll give it another shot once those off shore winds here start
              turning around!!

              hendrik

            • bnow@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 18, 2001
                If anyone is interested a buddy of mine wants to sell his Naish
                Mutant for cheap $350. It looks like it is in great shape. He
                offered it to me but I just have to many boards as it is. In fact if
                anyone is interested in wakeboards, I have an O'Brien Evil Twin that
                I would sell cheap considering that it has $300 CWB Techno Vert
                bindings on it. It's yours for $175. It's a very stable board that
                holds a good edge for kiteboarding. I may even part with my almost
                new AirRush 151 carbon picklefork kiteboard. $375 for the AirRush
                board (board only no bindings). In fact while I am at it, I also
                have a 1993 Mastercraft ProStar 190 skiboat for sale too.
                E-mail me direct if you are interested in any of this stuff.

                Mark