Re: [ksurf] Re: How to avoid getting lofted?

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2001
      <mikeiacovides@...> wrote:

      > I'm definitely going to fit one of those snapshakles... anywhere I
      > can see a photo of the whole snapshakle setup in the internet??

      It's not on www.NorthShoreInc.com yet, but since the photo is in their
      latest ad (page 85 of Fall 2001 KiteBoarding magazine) maybe they can e-mail
      you a copy, or maybe somebody with a scanner can put it in our group files.
      They use a U-bolt to attach the fixed end of a Tylaska* to a Reactor bar
      (easier to just use a tiny plain shackle to attach it to a plain spreader
      hook) & "snap" the opening end through the plastic covered trim loop.
      *See www.wichard.com for their # 2653. The very similar, but larger 2655 is
      available from www.westmarine.com

      Because the trim loop might not be slippery enough, & it might still get
      pulled in enough to reduce releasing consistency, I think it would be better
      to cut the tubing off the trim loop (very carefully!), & use the remaining
      line or webbing loop to larks head around an o-ring (yes, it can be done,
      just feed the loop through far enough to loop it all the way over the end of
      the ring), which the shackle is more sure to release from.

      I also think it would be better to have a line to release, so you can attach
      a "grab ball" or even a line to a wrist strap (for those who don't spin, &
      want to be extra safe). Wichard has a # 2673 with a release line built in.
      You'll need to cut & paste this link (or work your way through from
      www.wichard.com):
      http://www.wichard.com/catalogue/catalogue_en.php?FAMILLE=8.0&SSFAMILLE1=8.0
      &SSFAMILLE2=1.0&SSFAMILLE3=0.0&REFERENCE=2673

      You could also do the same "trim loop larks head" around the FIXED end of a
      snap shackle & just "snap" the opening end onto a plain spreader hook (no
      need to add a U-bolt to a Reactor). Just make sure you put it on so the
      opening swings out, away from the other side of the hook.

      On the other hand, if you attach the fixed end to the spreader, you can
      attach a kite leash to the opening just above the release mechanism. That
      way it will spin along with everything else, so there's NO EXCUSE not to use
      a leash (unless you're doing handle passes). That orientation also allows
      for a release line to a wrist cuff, although that eliminates the spinning
      ability.

      Let me know if any of that doesn't make sense.

      Mel