Re: North Rhino 12.0 m Day 3

  • petew@tpg.com.au
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 30, 2001
      So How was Sunday ?

      Surf at the Bra was very ordinary, so you should have had plenty of
      wind.

      Pete.

      > G'day
      >
      > Yesterday was a classic spring thermal Nor'easter, approx 30 kites
      out at
      > Brighton, ranging from Advance, Flexi Blade2, Arcs, Tarns Voodoo
      foils (home
      > kitemaker) and several brands of inflatables.
      > Board was the new P-Tex skinned E-Boards 1.68 TT, fitted with 2.0"
      Rainbow
      > Kite fins. Both of us who rode the board really liked it, very easy
      to hold
      > the edge, goes upwind well, can be ridden over rocks, sand etc.
      > Wind was a 12 - 15 knot Nor'easter.
      > After discussion with KW, I changed my bar and lines for a 18"
      Longhorn and
      > 2 M leaders, FLS, and 27M x 700lb Flexi Hydro line.
      > I much prefer the feel of the kite on this combination, but would
      have
      > preferred to have a bungee fitted to assist with sheeting in.
      > The kite felt more responsive and the depower felt smoother and
      faster than
      > the previous set-up (28" Longhorn 2M leaders FLS, 28M Q-Power
      lines).
      > In the stronger gusts I was amazed at my progress upwind, this kite
      really
      > pulls at the edge. Control in jumps is just a matter of adjusting
      to the
      > handling of the kite and the controls you have rigged to it.
      Hopefully today
      > we will have a bit more wind and we can test it at the upper end of
      the
      > range with the small bat and shorter lines.
      > In the lulls yesterday it was easy to keep the kite a little higher
      and just
      > milk some extra power from it by rocking the kite in a seining type
      of
      > flight path.
      > I too can vouch for the ability to bodydrag upwind with this kite
      as I
      > forgot to put my leash on for my last session, retrieved the board
      easily at
      > least 6 times.
      > Having no bungee on the bar made this easier as I could steer and
      sheet out
      > with one hand.
      >
      > Cya and
      > Goodwinds
      > Steve McCormack
      > http://www.kitepower.com.au
      > mailto:sydney@k...
      > 126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
      > Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
      > Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
      > mailto:geelong@k...
    • Kitepower
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 30, 2001
        Awesome Pete
        We had 10/12 knots by 9.00am and by 2.30pm when I got to the beach it was
        blowing 15 - 20 and increasing, I reckon it was gusting to 25 knots when I
        called it a day as I had nothing smaller than the 9.3 Rhino.
        It was an awesome session, I'm still sore!

        Cya and
        Goodwinds
        Steve McCormack
        http://www.kitepower.com.au
        mailto:sydney@...

      • bnow@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 30, 2001
          Hi Steve

          How would you compare the performance of North Rhino with the
          Wipika AirBlast? I also sent you a private e-mail on a different
          subject. Thanks.

          Mark

          unsubscribe@egroups.com>>>

          > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Kitepower
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 30, 2001
            Hi Mark
            Thats a tough call, overall I would have to say that I prefer the Rhinos
            now, they are built tougher, do not need the relaunch bridle (12.0 and 9.3)
            and come with better instructions and simpler accessories.
            In flight I think the AB's have more depower ability, but that is the only
            thing I think that is actually better on the wipi's. The Rhino's are the
            most stable inflatables I have flown.
            I managed to swing right underneath the 9.3 yesterday in a couple of wildly
            optimistic jumps yesterday, but it just drifted back and I rode away.

            Cya and
            Goodwinds
            Steve McCormack
            http://www.kitepower.com.au
            mailto:sydney@...
            Open 7 days
            126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
            Phone +61293157894

          • bseelen@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 1, 2001
              It is a tough call, but I hope for more answers. My BT 9,4 got stolen
              on Fuerte Ventura last week :-( So I am looking for a new kite. i
              flew a free air and was impressed with the quick respons. LAs heard a
              lot of guys talking about the Rhino and it reaaly seems a good kite.
              I want to decide this week; so I hope people can shed their light on
              it.

              Thanks!

            • nick@hma.att.ne.jp
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 1, 2001
                > Hi Mark
                > Thats a tough call, overall I would have to say that I prefer the
                >Rhinos now, they are built tougher, do not need the relaunch bridle
                >(12.0 and 9.3)

                But...you don't need the relaunch bridal on the AB 8.4 and below
                anyway. I have left mine on because I prefer the lighter bar feel. If
                you own a bigger kite, like the AB 11.8, it's very unlikely the wind
                will be too low to relaunch the 8.4 because you'd only be using it in
                higher winds anyway.

                > In flight I think the AB's have more depower ability, but that is
                >the only thing I think that is actually better on the wipi's.

                The depower ability is the ONLY thing better! For many people
                (including me) depower ability is everything. It's because of the
                great range from the ABs that I've only needed 2 kites and one board
                for the last 6 months (but borrowed a friends 7m when the occassional
                typhoon came through!).

                Nick
              • Kitepower
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 1, 2001
                  Since I have had the 9.3 and the 12.0 Rhino's we have been out everyday the
                  wind was on except one I think and I was just too stuffed to go that day.
                  Each time I ride the Rhino's I like them more, yesterday I was using the
                  12.0 again and I found if I edged really hard in the gusts and kept the kite
                  close to the water I could handle anything that came through, I think the
                  gusts were in the 17-18 knot range yesterday.
                  Wipika Airblasts are great kites no one argues that, but there is a new kite
                  out there and it is better IMO, test fly a Rhino soon, check out the
                  bombproof construction, this is a kite that has NO MYLAR laminated material,
                  and seams that lay flat and are stronger, PLUS you can pump the kite up hard
                  and not worry about damaging bladders, the kite performs better when pumped
                  hard IMO ( 2 days ago a mate pumped the 12, I could feel the difference)
                  Enjoy your AB's, however I think they will be well dead and buried while a
                  Rhino will outlast any other inflatable on the market by at least double
                  IMO.

                  Cya and
                  Goodwinds
                  Steve McCormack
                  http://www.kitepower.com.au
                  mailto:sydney@...
                  126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
                  Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
                  Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
                  > Thats a tough call, overall I would have to say that I prefer the
                  >Rhinos now, they are built tougher, do not need the relaunch bridle
                  >(12.0 and 9.3)

                  But...you don't need the relaunch bridal on the AB 8.4 and below
                  anyway. I have left mine on because I prefer the lighter bar feel. If
                  you own a bigger kite, like the AB 11.8, it's very unlikely the wind
                  will be too low to relaunch the 8.4 because you'd only be using it in
                  higher winds anyway.

                  > In flight I think the AB's have more depower ability, but that is
                  >the only thing I think that is actually better on the wipi's.

                  The depower ability is the ONLY thing better! For many people
                  (including me) depower ability is everything. It's because of the
                  great range from the ABs that I've only needed 2 kites and one board
                  for the last 6 months (but borrowed a friends 7m when the occassional
                  typhoon came through!).

                  Nick

                • Tim
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 1, 2001
                    I just found out that the new 2002 Airblasts won't have the external mylar
                    in the struts and leading edge. Just some info

                    Tim

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 1, 2001
                      Some manufacturers seem to be just turning the material inside out like RRD.
                      This will lead to other problems, I prefer a kite without that type of
                      laminate, it has been proven to not work well in the bladders of inflatable
                      kites.

                      Cya and
                      Goodwinds
                      Steve McCormack
                      http://www.kitepower.com.au
                      mailto:sydney@...
                      126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
                      Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
                      Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
                      I just found out that the new 2002 Airblasts won't have the external mylar
                      in the struts and leading edge. Just some info

                      Tim

                      >Since I have had the 9.3 and the 12.0 Rhino's we have been out everyday the
                      wind was on except one I think and I was just too stuffed to go that day.
                      Each time I ride the Rhino's I like them more, yesterday I was using the
                      12.0 again and I found if I edged really hard in the gusts and kept the kite
                      close to the water I could handle anything that came through, I think the
                      gusts were in the 17-18 knot range yesterday.
                      Wipika Airblasts are great kites no one argues that, but there is a new kite
                      out there and it is better IMO, test fly a Rhino soon, check out the
                      bombproof construction, this is a kite that has NO MYLAR laminated material,
                      and seams that lay flat and are stronger, PLUS you can pump the kite up hard
                      and not worry about damaging bladders, the kite performs better when pumped
                      hard IMO ( 2 days ago a mate pumped the 12, I could feel the difference)
                      Enjoy your AB's, however I think they will be well dead and buried while a
                      Rhino will outlast any other inflatable on the market by at least double
                      IMO.

                      Cya and
                      Goodwinds
                      Steve McCormack
                      http://www.kitepower.com.au
                      mailto:sydney@k...
                      126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
                      Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
                      Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
                      mailto:geelong@k...<

                    • Mel
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 2, 2001
                        Kitepower <kitepower@...> wrote:

                        > Some manufacturers seem to be just turning the material inside out like
                        RRD.
                        > This will lead to other problems, I prefer a kite without that type of
                        > laminate, it has been proven to not work well in the bladders of
                        inflatable
                        > kites.

                        Just to clarify: only a very few of the first RRDs have "inside out mylar"
                        (including mine, which I've had no problem with). To check for mylar on the
                        inside, just open the Velcro where the LE bladder goes in.

                        Mel