Spring Maintenance

  • Kitepower
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2001
      Having seen a few potential disasters come into the store lately I thought
      it might be worth reminding folks to check their gear for wear.
      Pigtails
      These wear out on 2 and 4 line kites, even on foils. Anywhere you attach
      lines or bridles to the kite wear out, having one break while at sea will
      almost certainly mean a kitemare and swim.
      Holes
      I've seen several kites just split during use recently and I strongly
      suspect that there were small unrepaired holes in the sails or bladders of
      these kites, Fix with clear repair film or sailcloth/clear flexible urethane
      glue for larger holes and splits.
      Leaders
      These can look fine from the outside, but salt and sand inside can wear the
      core out. Places to inspect are anywhere the leader line flexes or bends and
      where the lines attach.
      Snap shackles and Carabiners
      Make sure you test them regularly and keep them lubed with an anti corrosion
      spray. I have noticed some of the "builders" stainless carabiners people use
      here in Oz do not have a stainless spring in the gate, keep an eye on these
      they do fail.
      Trim Straps and loops
      It should be fairly obvious if something needs to be replaced in this area,
      don't forget to wax the centre line if you use a rope through the centre of
      the bar system.
      Harness's
      Surprisingly an area often overlooked both in wear and comfort. I've heard
      of several people breaking harness's this season and I suspect that it is
      because there were very few dedicated kite harnesses last couple of years.
      I have tried several brands as I have back old injuries and I can vouch for
      the comfort and strength of the new Pro-Limit Kite specific waist and seat
      harnesses.

      I've probably forgotten some things, please add to the list of things to
      check and maintain.

      Cya and
      Goodwinds
      Steve McCormack
      http://www.kitepower.com.au
      mailto:sydney@...
      126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
      Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
      Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic