[ksurf] Re: FW: Quick Release

  • Maskrey, Kenneth E (MSMAIL)
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 1998
      Susan,
      Someone else also mentioned this system, I think it may be the new
      quick release system that Hawaiian Proline is providing. But I'll
      describe the one I saw and am setting up on my rig:
      The shockcord is the stretchy kind, like a bungee but thinner. The
      length is maybe 6 feet. The bungee is attatched to one end of the bar..
      .same end as the quick release and wrist leash. the other end attaches
      to the kite string via, I believe, the usual Larkshead knot. The end
      that attches to the kite line goes into the quick release with all the
      shockcord being stuffed into the small bag.

      Yes, I was using a Wipika in Maui. Since the kite was in the water,
      rather than pulling in the shockcord, I swim to the cord, keeping
      slack in the other end. Then immediately reconnect the quick release
      and refly the kite. Once in the neutral position, control the kite
      with the left hand and stuff the shockcord back in the bag with the
      right. The bag is on the left so, as I control the kitebar with my
      left hand, a finger or two holds the bag still so I can stuff with the
      right hand. I did this around noon with about a 15 - 20 knot wind
      (guess), maybe 30-40 degrees of dead downwind. Different angles and/or
      windspeed will obviously make this more or less difficult.

      Some other ideas might be to have a rubber band around the bar on the
      same side as the quick release. Then you could quickly loop the
      shockcord into a diameter of 4-6 inches or so. Then quickly stuff it
      under the band. It would probably cut ten seconds off the bag stuffing
      method.

      I wouldn't carry a knife on my leg because of already strapping a
      board to my feet and having too many hard objects around and attached
      to my legs in this sport makes me nervous. If you use a PFD, there are
      small knives that attach to the shoulder strap, I have a similar one
      that attaches to my BCD while diving. It's right there, much easier to
      get to (above water). River rafter knives might be ideal, though I
      don't carry one myself.

      Ken
      >Ken,
      >I like the idea of not becoming totally detached from the kite and
      then
      >having to swim after a floaty in the water to retrieve the line. How
      >long is your shockcord? Is it the coiled kind or just stretchy? How
      do
      >you attach it to the kite line? How do you avoid problems of the kite
      >trying to relaunch itself when you pull in the shock cord (I'm
      assuming
      >you're using a Wipika)?
      >Susan in Ct.
      >P.S. And I'm wondering if anyone out there carries a knife when
      >kitesurfing, perhaps like the diving ones that are strapped to your
      leg?