[ksurf] Re: c-quad probs

  • Mark Frasier
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 1999
      >surely the bag to contain this excellent bit of kit is some kind of
      >joke. Ive just broken the main batten (or spar?) trying to put the damn
      >thing away. Has anyone found a mod they can make to the kite to enable
      >easy(er) storage. Also the rubber mounts (the soft ones) fail on
      >crashing leading to the smaller battens poking through.(i know in the
      >hands of experienced flyers crashing is not that frequent, but you
      >gotta start somewhere..right?) Im told this is a common occurance on
      >c-quads, and its being investigated. Also is there a decent course on
      >offer in Britain anywhere?

      The newer southern hemisphere C Quads have a different fitting that is more
      resistant to impacts. I guess it is more like a capped tube on the end of
      the spine and the LE spar goes thru a hole drilled cross-wise. The So. Hemi.
      ones also now come with a spare leading edge spar. They also have kevlar
      reinforcements on the bridle wear spots and a different method of attaching
      the bridle to the kite (I think some sort of tab at the attachment points
      rather than a hole in the dacron and a wrap around the spar). I've just
      received a CQ 6.3, it just came in from Holland to Canada, then to the kite
      shop here in Maine. I was hoping it would have the new improvements but it
      doesn't. I was told that the No. Hemi. partner of Peter Lynn, Vleiger Op (or
      however that's spelled), hasn't started using the new construction methods
      yet. Bummer, eh? I've had my 2.2 a year and never had a problem with it 'til
      I let a young friend of mine fly it. I noticed he was crashing it quite bit.
      Next week or so I noticed a crack in the fitting. I'm not sure who caused
      it, but I just wrapped some ripstop nylon tape around it and I haven't had
      another poke-thru yet.

      Mark Frasier
    • Mark Frasier
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 30, 1999
        Should have mentioned, I haven't seen any of the improvements personally.
        Just heard about 'em on rec.kites & the PL website.

        Mark Frasier

      • paul_sexstone@westpac.com.au
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 1999
          the c-quads will poke through the mounts on crashing, but only after dozens of
          hard crashes.

          new joints will not poke through when crashed