[ksurf] Re: A Nice Place to Kitesurf in New England

  • Raul F Argilagos
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 28 7:20 PM
      Nice to have a beach full of whales rather than people
      investigating your setup on SouthBeach when kitesurfing!
      Raul

      On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 22:03:08 -0400 Susan M Simmons <susanal1@...>
      writes:
      >For those of you near Cape Cod:
      >The very tip of Cape Cod (above Provincetown) has a nice beach for
      >kitesurfing, especially if you also have 4 wheel drive. The beach area
      >near Race Point is fairly wide and it is federal land. If you don't
      >have
      >4 wheel drive, you can park (for a nominal fee) in the paved parking
      >lot
      >and walk upwind of the public beach to launch where there are very few
      >people. The whales sometimes come to within a quarter to half mile of
      >the beach, so you'll want to be careful to avoid being just downwind
      >of
      >the stinky, fishy whale breath!
      >Susan in Ct.

    • Peter A. Traykovski
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 29 9:03 PM
        Speaking of New England, is there anyone else besides myself, Susan and Al,
        and Nevin who is learning to kitesurf or already knows how in this part of
        the U.S? Anyone on this list, or does someone on this list know of anyone?
        Anyone from Boston or Rhode Island?

        It sure would be nice to get a few tips from someone who knew what they were
        doing, or just watch.

        -Peter from Falmouth, Cape Cod
      • Mark Frasier
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 30 5:24 AM
          At 12:03 AM 7/30/99 -0400, you wrote:
          >Speaking of New England, is there anyone else besides myself, Susan and Al,
          >and Nevin who is learning to kitesurf or already knows how in this part of
          >the U.S? Anyone on this list, or does someone on this list know of anyone?
          >Anyone from Boston or Rhode Island?
          >
          >It sure would be nice to get a few tips from someone who knew what they were
          >doing, or just watch.
          >
          >-Peter from Falmouth, Cape Cod

          Myself & my friend Curtis are learning. I'm in Bartlett, NH and Curtis is
          in Portland, ME. There's a guy named Dave Dyer who has a wipika but I'm not
          sure if he has a board yet. He lives around Boston. He's not on the net.

          Mark Frasier
        • Michel Montmigny
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 30 8:15 AM
            Hello everybody,

            About whales, I had so much emotions 2 day ago on the Saguenay Fjord.
            This is a 100 km Fjord and I leave just in face of. We have 19 feet tide and salt & cold water from St-Lawrence river come up here at high tide.
            I was kitesurfing with 9.0 WAVE in 8 knots and I had big fun to cruise with Belugas(small 15 foot white whales), about 40 of them not too far from me.
            Last time I had experience like it, it was in 1983 during a funboard session and also one time kayaking.

            I hope it happen to you one day, it's a great moment.

            This morning I MUST whrite something that for few of you will sound strange, maybe long or boring. But for me it's very important to make a point on few things!

            Since we are in the TRACTION kites business, 1991 we have worked a lot and developp a lot of new kites. We do our best to put very nice and efficient kites on the market. We are there because it's our passion and we love what we are doing.

            Our products are certainly not so bad if you look at those results:

            97 World Ice & Snow Sailing Champion in Course racing(myself) and long distance(my business partner Ben Tremblay) with the EX range, and that overall.

            97  French buggy title(France) Laurent Ness  came first with the EX range

            98  3 nd in French buggy Championship with Michel Paul

            99 2 nd  in French buggy Championship with Michel Paul

            99 World Ice and sailing Champion , course racing, long distances,
            1st, 2nd,3nd EX'S TRACTION

            99 Laurent Ness did very well with our WAVE kites in kitesurfing competition and the best will come soon.

            We developp our products in our particular Canadian conditions(3 feet of ice during winter) and they are a lot tested all around the world.
            Then we are really close from what peoples think about our kites and wich changes or ameliorations that we could bring.

            We do have our idea about life as any kite makers do and for sure we are not perfect but we work hard to reach high quality level.

            Why I am breaking your ears with our personnal story today is that since a while, I shout my mouth on very bad and untrue things that few kites makers spread around.

            Did somebody eard Concept Air say something very bad about one or other kites on that planet???
            I dont think so.

            We only take care about our business and it's enough work.

            I eard that aparently we CONCEPT AIR copyed F-ONE kites...
            Let me have a big smile about it, because not too much people know that, but in fall 97 Ben and me we spend 2 weeks in France as kite makers and manufacturers talking about kitesurf and kites with Laurent Ness and Raphael Salles.(I have videos and nice pictures of it)
            At that time Raphael was looking to find a kitemakers to make business with.
            I dont need to tell that during those 2 weeks, we had few brainstorming about wich development could be the best for having nice kites for kitesurfing.

            So to make it shorter, let me ask you wich is the "inventor" ;0) of the TRACTION kites with flap and net on the leading edge????????????????
            I have seen it for the first time on my paraglider , long time ago.

            And from an other hand, I will ask from a very polite way to others that have nothing else  to say or do , to stop saying stupid things about Concept Air kites.

            If there is need I will give name.

            Why even if we are in some business competition could we not having a fair and honest attitude between manufacturers?
            This is my best wish!!!

            To all of you , sorry if I took so much space on the list this morning.

            Have very nice and fly safe.

            Michel Montminy
            http://www.conceptair.com
            201 bld Tadoussac
            Canton-Tremblay, Qc
            G7H 5A8

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 30 11:46 AM

              << I was kitesurfing with 9.0 WAVE in 8 knots and I had big fun >>

              Hi Michel,
              Is that wave 9.0 a prototype or are they available.
              Are you already overpowered in 8 knots or is it
              still ok? One last question, what is the max wind
              people (70 kgs) take the 6.0 in?

              Incidentally, I only hear bad strories about Raphael
              Salles, whether from pros in Hawaii or good friends
              of Laurent Ness..........

              Take care.
              Rony
              P.S: what is roughly, the wind range of a WAVE 3.8
              for a guy my weight?
            • Michel Montmigny
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 30 1:28 PM
                Hello Rony,

                The 9.0 WAVE si still as a prototype. But it seems that in the conditions we are using it, it seem to want well relaunche.
                My weight is 70-72 kg and yesterday in the perfect steady wind 10 knots I was riding very fast on flat water.
                And  at 11 knots, I should say that I have to put the kite very high to slowdown a bit.
                The 3.8 make me plane at about 12 knots if it's very steady and fresh breeze, but go upwind at 13-14

                Michel Montminy
                http://www.conceptair.com
                201 bld Tadoussac
                Canton-Tremblay, Qc
                G7H 5A8
                << I was kitesurfing with 9.0 WAVE in 8 knots and I had big fun >>

                Hi Michel,
                Is that wave 9.0 a prototype or are they available.
                Are you already overpowered in 8 knots or is it
                still ok? One last question, what is the max wind
                people (70 kgs) take the 6.0 in?

                Incidentally, I only hear bad strories about Raphael
                Salles, whether from pros in Hawaii or good friends
                of Laurent Ness..........

                Take care.
                Rony
                P.S: what is roughly, the wind range of a WAVE 3.8
                for a guy my weight?

                click here
                Click Here!
              • F.ONE
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 30 3:29 PM
                  Rony ,
                  you email adress , Peace Surf , do not fit with the way you have of
                  talking about people that you don't even know !

                  You should better talk with people instead of talking about people !

                  I don't think that is the purpose of this egroup ?
                  Raphaël Salles

                  ><< I was kitesurfing with 9.0 WAVE in 8 knots and I had big fun >>
                  >
                  >Hi Michel,
                  >Is that wave 9.0 a prototype or are they available.
                  >Are you already overpowered in 8 knots or is it
                  >still ok? One last question, what is the max wind
                  >people (70 kgs) take the 6.0 in?
                  >
                  >Incidentally, I only hear bad strories about Raphael
                  >Salles, whether from pros in Hawaii or good friends
                  >of Laurent Ness..........
                  >
                  >Take care.
                  >Rony
                  >P.S: what is roughly, the wind range of a WAVE 3.8
                  >for a guy my weight?

                • Raphaël
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 30 6:26 PM
                    I think that if Raphael Salles reputation is ternished around Laurent Ness and his friends or with Concept Air or their employees and team riders, it is not a real issue for us and even the rest of the world.

                    I have been working with him for more than 2 years and none of the pros I spoke or speak with had anything to complain about.
                    They actually have a lot of respect for his ethic and his work.  I am sure there is always an exception but I still have not find it.

                    You are a Concept Air customer, are you also a team rider or do you work for them?
                    Or are you just hoping to get a better price on your next buy!

                    It is easy to criticize anonymously and without any type of proof or reference.

                    Hoping not to meet you on the water, looser!!!

                    Raphael Baruch
                    +1 (305) 373-5378
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 30 7:17 PM
                      Wise thinking use it next time!

                      Having your email private would have avoided this public response and we would all have appreciated...

                      As for your friend Laurent, he has so much good think to say about F-One that he is even advertising our own brand (that he does not carry) hoping to lure customers in his shop to better sell the Concept Air on which he has higher margin (as the distributor and only dealer).

                      You obviously did want the attention - you got it...

                      As you say any further messages should be out of the list and private, although I do not think it is necessary.

                      Raphael Baruch
                      +1 (305) 373-5378

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 31 12:19 AM
                          Hello Michel ,
                          I send you a direct E mail yesterday because this not the purpose of the E group , unless someone write something to you directly .

                          I would like to precise that you should clealy write what is you concern exactly ?
                          Reading between the lines I might understand that the problem is coming from our argument saying that we are the first company to have develop and sell the kite with valves .
                          Its for sure not our invention because it was use in paragliding , but its also clear that F.ONE was the first kite maker to adatp it to kitesurfing and to put it on the market in December 98 .

                          I used Concept Air in the past and I like it , I also use a lot of other kites , like Wipika also and they are not coming back all the time with the fact that I use their kites ?
                          I think that before to produce my own kite I did a lot of promotion for Concept Air and Wipika  by using them around the world . How  many pages of magazines and TV I did  with your kites ??
                          Our relations where also good because you where the F.ONE board distributor in Canada .

                          Now I have my own design , build the way I want it for kitesurfing and our relations change a lot !

                          I don't understand why you always coming back after me , our companies are totaly different :
                          You are producing and designing your kite yourself in your sail loft since many years , your kites are more like a custom production really close to your customers .You have in all France only one dealer.

                          I'm working with a paragliding designer that is equip with a computer program , the prototypes are made by a French factory according to the computer design . The production kites are made outside France by a paragliding factory . Our distribution is made worlwide by distributors that are working with dealers.

                          There is nothing bad in our two differents organisation ?
                          They are differents on all these points but something that we have in comon is that we are both actively practicing our sport at a  high level !
                          We love to work into the sport that is our passion , we love to create new products that will give us more pleasure on the water or snow . Our customers can feel all this when they touch our kites !
                          And we are lucky that we are abble to live from it !

                          I respect your work and your way of going .
                          We are small fish that open a new incredible sport and market but there is some  big sharks looking at it now . Be carefull that we are not trying to eat each other before they eat us !

                          I realy hope that our relations goes a nicer way in the future , maybe we should talk directly more offen?
                          Sorry for all of your guys from the  E group .

                          Amicaly
                          Raphaël Salles

                          writes:
                          >For those of you near Cape Cod:
                          >The very tip of Cape Cod (above Provincetown) has a nice beach for
                          >kitesurfing, especially if you also have 4 wheel drive. The beach area
                          >near Race Point is fairly wide and it is federal land. If you don't
                          >have
                          >4 wheel drive, you can park (for a nominal fee) in the paved parking
                          >lot
                          >and walk upwind of the public beach to launch where there are very few
                          >people. The whales sometimes come to within a quarter to half mile of
                          >the beach, so you'll want to be careful to avoid being just downwind
                          >of
                          >the stinky, fishy whale breath!
                          >Susan in Ct.

                          click here
                          Click Here!
                        • PeaceSurf@aol.com

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 31 2:21 PM
                              After buggying and waterskiing I'm now learning to kitesurf. I'll be making
                              a do-or-die effort on South Dennis beach and around Chapin in Dennis the
                              last 2 weeks of August. Do you buggy? If not wanna try? I'd think it
                              would help with kite handling skills for kitesurfing. There are terrific
                              sand flats off Chapin at low tide. E-mail me if you want to hook up.

                              Dave

                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 1, 1999
                                I can insure you Raph that my biggest wishes concerning both of us is that very soon we can ride the same WAVE( I'll try to follow you;0))  and have nice talk about it after.
                                That is things that will encourage the sport.

                                Michel Montminy
                                http://www.conceptair.com
                                201 bld Tadoussac
                                Canton-Tremblay, Qc
                                G7H 5A8
                                Tél : (418) 545-8368

                                writes:
                                >For those of you near Cape Cod:
                                >The very tip of Cape Cod (above Provincetown) has a nice beach for
                                >kitesurfing, especially if you also have 4 wheel drive. The beach area
                                >near Race Point is fairly wide and it is federal land. If you don't
                                >have
                                >4 wheel drive, you can park (for a nominal fee) in the paved parking
                                >lot
                                >and walk upwind of the public beach to launch where there are very few
                                >people. The whales sometimes come to within a quarter to half mile of
                                >the beach, so you'll want to be careful to avoid being just downwind
                                >of
                                >the stinky, fishy whale breath!
                                >Susan in Ct.

                                click here
                                Click Here!
                                click here
                                Click Here!
                              • F.ONE
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 1, 1999
                                  Hey Michel !
                                  Do you mean the same wave or the same WAVE your model ?

                                  When you come to Montpellier to visit your French distributor , call me !

                                  @+
                                  Raphaël

                                  writes:
                                  >For those of you near Cape Cod:
                                  >The very tip of Cape Cod (above Provincetown) has a nice beach for
                                  >kitesurfing, especially if you also have 4 wheel drive. The beach area
                                  >near Race Point is fairly wide and it is federal land. If you don't
                                  >have
                                  >4 wheel drive, you can park (for a nominal fee) in the paved parking
                                  >lot
                                  >and walk upwind of the public beach to launch where there are very few
                                  >people. The whales sometimes come to within a quarter to half mile of
                                  >the beach, so you'll want to be careful to avoid being just downwind
                                  >of
                                  >the stinky, fishy whale breath!
                                  >Susan in Ct.

                                  click here
                                  Click Here!
                                  click here
                                  Click Here!

                                  click here
                                  Click Here!
                                • Michel Montmigny
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 2, 1999
                                    No, No! the same liquid WAVE   :0)

                                    Michel Montminy
                                    http://www.conceptair.com
                                    201 bld Tadoussac
                                    Canton-Tremblay, Qc
                                    G7H 5A8
                                    Tél : (418) 545-8368

                                    writes:
                                    >For those of you near Cape Cod:
                                    >The very tip of Cape Cod (above Provincetown) has a nice beach for
                                    >kitesurfing, especially if you also have 4 wheel drive. The beach area
                                    >near Race Point is fairly wide and it is federal land. If you don't
                                    >have
                                    >4 wheel drive, you can park (for a nominal fee) in the paved parking
                                    >lot
                                    >and walk upwind of the public beach to launch where there are very few
                                    >people. The whales sometimes come to within a quarter to half mile of
                                    >the beach, so you'll want to be careful to avoid being just downwind
                                    >of
                                    >the stinky, fishy whale breath!
                                    >Susan in Ct.

                                    click here