[ksurf] Kitesurf board?

  • evisser@clear.co.nz
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 28 3:03 PM
      Hiya,
      I walked into a sport swap shop last week to discover a skurf
      board(skurfer
      = ski + surfer) being sold for nearly nothing at all. It is a plastic
      injection molded board with a foam core, footstraps and a long fin(about
      350mm long and 125mm deep along the board that's about 1.65m long) that
      can
      easily be retrofitted with something a little more suitable or
      interchangable. I'll be working on some modifications during the rest of
      winter.... changing footstraps and position, fin, leash and strapfor
      holding
      on to get feet into straps....

      It was too intrigueing to leave and I bought it at discount. Haven't
      tried
      it yet but seeing as this board is the unidirectional forefather of the
      wakeboard which are used by many kitesurfers I couldn't let the
      oppertunity
      slip. The boancy is a little on the low side and the rails aren't as
      shrp as
      I want them to be. Otherwise it has a good 'rock' and it has a peculiar
      flow
      channel along the centre of the base that would make up for the rail
      issue.
      Worth a try... whadya think? I've nearly completed my R&D on some
      single skin hybrid prototypes. As soon as I have proven the concept
      I'll be making me a 6-7sq.m. kite for use this comming summer. There
      are a few more things I need to research, one of which is water
      lauchability.

      At the moment it's way to cold to even consider getting anywhere close
      water. Went buggying last weekend and the thought of just hitting the
      edge
      of the surf and the resulting cold spray made getting stuck in soft sand
      worth it. On another front(an even colder one), we'll be hitting the
      skislopes in mid August and I'll be trying my hand at some powerkite
      assisted snowboarding in preperation of the next kitesurf season. Both
      new
      mediums to explore... I rather like the idea of not paying to use a
      ski-lift
      and being able to get to unused areas of snow especially the flat
      parts. ;-)

      Ciao,
      --
      Just fishing for angels!
      ====================================
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 28 3:03 PM
        Hiya,

        Thanks Mark in future I'll post these here rather than rec.kites.

      • jquick1@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 30 11:06 AM
          WoW! I been trying to find Skurf Boards for a long time now! Let me
          know your results with this board. Wakeboards seem to be awesome as
          well, but I think a Skurfboard would be the best.

          Let me know ASAP! (my skurfboard search ended up blank)

          Thanks,
          Jeff

          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=3922

        • Eugene Visser
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 1999
            Hiya,
            Sorry... Will have to wait about another month or so. It was so damn
            freezing last weekend that we did not even think to go windsurfing. Flying
            in the park was near uncomfortable, nearly though I'd lost my nose and
            fingers. Instead we are going to the skislopes in another two weeks time.
            C-quads and snowboards.... ;-)

            Yep, I couldn't leave the skurfer in the shop. I'ts a little narrower than a
            rough water wakeboard but nearly a foot longer. I'll have to change the fin
            though. The positioning is not that bad but it's way to short to be
            effective at lower speeds or when attempting to go upwind.

            I did however see a Peter Lynn Kitesurfboard blank on Saturday and it was
            really great. Though a bit much for my budget at NZ$600. I'd rather buy an
            old surfboard and modify it for my first board.

            Ciao,