[ksurf] Re: Wind Range & Quiver

  • Ed Tack
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 26, 1999
      Antonio:

      I am not sure that this has anything to do with the topic, but I was
      curious how your 8.5 works for you?
      I just ordered my first kite and I ordered a Wipica 8.5.
      I am 250 pounds and 6'8 inches tall. I have never kiteboarded before,
      but I am an avid windsurfer.

      Ed Tack

      --- Antonio Lage <alage@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I'v seen all this talk about wind range. I am still
      > a beginner but I agree
      > with Collette that this is not a one kite sport.
      > Even when one progresses,
      > I think there is still a place for a "beginer type"
      > kite (Wipika/Naish) in
      > everyones quiver, epecially for light wind and/or
      > dangerous situations
      > where the certainity of relaunch is more inportant
      > then performance. I have
      > an 8.5 Wipika and don't plan to replace it for a
      > more "advanced" kite of
      > similar size. For stronger winds advanced kites are
      > ok because the strong
      > wind will make the relaunch easier.
      > Hope I'm not saying something stupid...
      >
      > Antonio from Brazil

    • Michael Kassal
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 26, 1999
        Hey Ed!

        Someone else that is my size!....you are about 10lbs heavier than me right now.
        All I have to say is weight is an incredible player in the wind range.  Add at least 5-8 Kts to the wind range and thats what kind of wind that you will be looking for.

        If you have any more questions... :     mkassal@...

        --- Antonio Lage <alage@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I'v seen all this talk about wind range. I am still
        > a beginner but I agree
        > with Collette that this is not a one kite sport.
        > Even when one progresses,
        > I think there is still a place for a "beginer type"
        > kite (Wipika/Naish) in
        > everyones quiver, epecially for light wind and/or
        > dangerous situations
        > where the certainity of relaunch is more inportant
        > then performance. I have
        > an 8.5 Wipika and don't plan to replace it for a
        > more "advanced" kite of
        > similar size. For stronger winds advanced kites are
        > ok because the strong
        > wind will make the relaunch easier.
        > Hope I'm not saying something stupid...
        >
        > Antonio from Brazil

        click here
        Click Here!
      • Antonio Lage
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 26, 1999
          At 10:55 26-07-99 -0400, you wrote:
          >Antonio:
          >
          >I am not sure that this has anything to do with the topic, but I was
          >curious how your 8.5 works for you?
          >I just ordered my first kite and I ordered a Wipica 8.5.
          >I am 250 pounds and 6'8 inches tall. I have never kiteboarded before,
          >but I am an avid windsurfer.
          >
          >Ed Tack

          Hi Ed,

          My Wipika 8.5 works great...it's a bit slow to react to input, but this
          gives me time to think and correct errors in my stance and board positioning.
          Here in Brazil I don't have any instruction so my progress has been slow,
          but I'm getting there! I am also an avid windsurfer...or was, because now
          all my available time I spend triyng to learn kitesurfing!
          My advice to you is to find someone to teach you...if this is not
          possible, go for it yourself and use this list to ask questions...I do it
          all the time. If I have made any progress I have to thank all the people in
          this list. As a windsurfer you will find kitesurfing very
          "complicated"...but once you get your first run I bet you will be hooked!

          Hope this will help...

          Antonio