[ksurf] Re: Airblast Light Air Launch

  • Peter Frank
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2001
      This is so true !

      Use the front lines with a quick grab, if the kite seems to stall
      backwards in light winds (happens only if you have no flying speed).

      And as Dwight said - when leading edge up - pull the front lines way
      way in, and be prepared to let out when speed is obtained, and you
      want to steer the kite again (you lose steering control when flying
      truly on front lines only).

      If it still does not leave the water in any way - the wind might be
      too light !

      I try to avoid having the kite leading edge up in marginal conditions.
      When leading edge down - I can backwards relaunch the 16.4 and 11.8
      in only 5 knots of wind ! I was amazed the first times (In fact it
      relaunches in much less wind than it can stay "parked" in)
      BUT - if it turns leading edge up in this waaay too light wind, I
      have to swim ashore, or swim to the kite and turn it over leading
      edge down, and try not to have it "fall" down this way again.

      After some practice you can really reverse launch in almost no wind
      at all !

      But my real advice would be: Don't go out kiting in this light wind !

      You can not jump, or go upwind.

      It is no fun, is it ?

      :-) Peter Frank.

      --- In kitesurf@y..., "Dwight & Jacky" <fishersfort@a...> wrote:
      > Reach out and grab the center leader with your hand and pull it to
      you. The kite will fly leading
      > edge up with the front lines pulled way way in. Be quick and grab
      the center leader the second it
      > flips around nose up. Don't let the kite settle and sink the ribs
      because then they may fold over