Re: Water Launch - beginner Q

  • thorpes@arklogic.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2001
      --- In kitesurf@y..., vytas.cijunelis@d... wrote:

      > So when you launch, you DON'T pull on the bar or you stall
      > the kite? If true, that probably saved me some learning time!

      All this only applies if you are starting with front lines
      attached to your harness - either permanently shackled, like
      John and I ride, or by means of a "chicken loop".

      If you start off not hooked in then you have no "on-the-fly"
      adjustment so if you're adjuster strap is set so the kite
      doesn't stall overhead then you won't stall it by pulling
      in during the water start - the angle of attack (AoA) never
      changes.

      If you are hooked in the chicken loop or shackled to the
      front lines then any movement of the bar changes the angle
      of attack of the kite and too much pull on the bar will
      stall it. If you don't have some kind of stop (or hang-strap,
      like I use) to prevent pulling in too far you can't pull on
      the bar to get out of the water. I know theoretically how
      John does it with his "free bar" - I tried it and managed
      a few times but mostly stalled the kite. He generates enough
      power with his start up dive that the kite will drag him out
      by the harness - so he does not need to pull on the bar.
      But I am 205lb and uncoordinated so I always want to get
      the better leverage afforded by pulling myself up with my
      arms. So long as my stop is set nicely sheeted out I can
      do my water-start pull-ups without stalling.

      Hope that explains it - I know it all sound so confusing
      now but you'll soon be designing your own snazzy custom
      bar and line set-ups and generating another years record
      profits for West Marine ;-)

      Steve T.