RE: [ksurf] back pain :-(

  • Jorge Madden
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2001
      Hi Dave!

      From my own experience and studies, i just can tell you that lot's of the
      mid-low back aches are produced by the legs. Your muslces are fixed to the
      basis of your vertebral column, and if you tight them in a wrong position,
      or without proper stretching before and after, they can pull from your back,
      making you think you have back problems when it's all abaout stretching a
      little bit.

      My recomendation is, to everyone having little aches, stretch and warm up
      before kiting, and stretch again after practising. I hope this helps. If you
      still have problems, go to a phisioterapist and let him see what's
      happening. I don't recomend traumatologists in any case as a first option,
      they will tell you have dissaligned vetebral column or any other
      barbarities...

      Cheers!

      Jorge Madden - jorge@...

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2001
        Hi Dave

        You could look at trying a different height hook, but in my
        experience there is not really a set formula to go higher or lower.

        Some people solve the problem by going to a High Back Waist harness
        (Maybe with a seat attachment), while others prefer a lower hook. The
        Pro Limit Kiteseat is kind of in the middle of these two (try moving
        the pillow up or down, it may help). I think it depends on where and
        what kind of back pain it is.

        Another possible solution is doing lower abdominal and lower back
        strengthening routines & stretches, as with kiting you often get
        yanked around (well I do) and this can aggravate an existing injury.

        I guess the best advise is to see a doctor, but I am sure you have
        considered that.

        Good Luck

        Clint

      • nick@hma.att.ne.jp
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2001
          Definitely don't go to a waist harness. It'll make things worse. If
          you go for a lower hook position you'll find more of the kites power
          is supported by the legs when edging. A friend made an interesting
          observation a couple of weeks ago when riding a little underpowered
          in a waist harness. After one session he complained that his back was
          aching and attibuted it to the fact that he was working the kite a
          lot. This may indicate that you should ride powered up enough to park
          the kite, lean gently back with your whole body (which is easier with
          a lower hook position), and hold a comfortable edge. Just an idea.
          Hope it helps...

          Nick

        • ericandholly@gorge.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2001
            I have had lower back problems for years--8 years of crew. I have
            found the following to be really helpful.

            1. Consider riding a thin, edgy 4-fin directioanl. You can set the
            edge by rotating the hips, rather than bending at the waist.
            2. 4-line is a must. You can spill the gust with the kite, load the
            edge harder under lighter load then reapply the power.
            3. A seat harness is great

            All of these have kept me back pain free all season, and I kite in
            the gusty Gorge 4 days a week. I have had two short sessions on a
            true TT. It was a total blast and you can hold more kite for sure.
            But, there seems to be a bent at the waist stance inherent in these
            boards which made my back really sore after just an hour both times.
            I will continue to experiment with TT's, but only slowly and in
            controlled doses. TT's are way cooler right now, but I think many
            may come back to the "lock and load" of small directionals. But hey,
            what do I know? I am a jibing directional rider who wears a HELMET,
            still uses a leash, safety, has two kids and LOVES his mini-van. Did
            I mention that I teach math?:)

            I hope all this helps.

            regards,
            Eric

            I hope this helps

          • dkurtz@hypernexinc.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 3, 2001
              --- In kitesurf@y..., merlinhobnob@y... wrote:

              > I used to get back problems - ache in the small of the back - from
              > downhauling my windsurfing sails (putting my feet against the bottom
              > of the mast and pulling like hell to get the sail tensioned). But
              I'm
              > not bothered about that anymore since I've discovered kitesurfing.
              >
              > But now I'm starting to get the same pain from kitesurfing!
              >
              > Help! I don't want to have to give up this sport in my first season!
              >
              > Anyone else had lower back ache from ksurfing? Any good tips? Would
              > different (lower) harness help?. I'm currently using a prolimit
              > kiteseat, which has a waist-heigh hook.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Dave

              I strongly agree with the seat harness advice. My fusion works great
              and takes significant load off my low back. I had low back surgery 15
              years ago and had several episodes after. Major back strengthening
              and stretching (with proper training) makes a big difference. Kiting
              is less stressfull on my back than windsurfing

              DK
            • jeff@kitemare.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 3, 2001
                Stretch and strengthen.... Exercises: Back extenions, Abdominal
                crunches. Back pain can came from a variety of reasons:
                Tight: Psoas, hamstrings, glutes. Muscles strength imbalances,
                Compression from gravity, running, jumping. Fat Bellies, bad posture,
                etc. I've found that the combo of strengthening and stretching both
                the abs and low back do the trick. My favorite stretch is hanging
                upside down with Gravity Boots from a chin-up bar.
                Jeff
                Kitemare.com and..... Certified personal Trainer (A.C.E.)

              • thorpes@arklogic.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 3, 2001
                  --- In kitesurf@y..., dkurtz@h... wrote:

                  > --- In kitesurf@y..., merlinhobnob@y... wrote:
                  > I strongly agree with the seat harness advice. My fusion
                  > works great and takes significant load off my low back.

                  I agree - I occasioally get a bit of pain from my crushed vertebrae
                  (like when hiking a a fifty pound paraglider pack up a 2000ft hill)
                  but never yet when kitesurfing with my Fusion harness.

                  Steve T.