[ksurf] Re: Arc and Quadrifoil bar

  • thorpes@arklogic.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 1, 2001

      > Steve Thorpe wrote,
      >
      > Well one day I found that my glider
      > had many more tricks up its sleeve than I'd imagined and now
      > I'm about 3/4 shorter. :(
      >
      > 3/4 shorter = crushed vertebra?

      L4 & L5 :(

      Steve T.
    • Kitepower
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 2, 2001
        Me too I used to 6'11", now I'm only 5'5" I've lost about an inch!! :-)
        T7,T8,L1,L2,L3 and L4

        Cya and
        Goodwinds
        Steve McCormack
        http://www.kitepower.com.au
        mailto:sydney@...
        126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
        Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
        Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
        > had many more tricks up its sleeve than I'd imagined and now
        > I'm about 3/4 shorter. :(
        >
        > 3/4 shorter = crushed vertebra?

        L4 & L5 :(

        Steve T.

        This group is sponsored by KiteHIGH.com
        For Kitesurfers by Kitesurfers

        http://www.KiteHigh.com

        Win Board or Cabrinha Kite sweepstakes on now.

        1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA
        808 579 9849
        Email:support@...

      • Stefano Rosso
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 3, 2001

          > > ..I've NEVER felt the need to release from the leash itself,
          > > which would eliminate the need for the second snap shackle
          >
          > I've also never YET felt the need to release from the
          > leash itself, but you know the rest ...

          Has ANYONE actually ever released a snap shackle in a REAL emergency
          situation ?

          I got some friends that are getting shackle happy but in all my kitemares i
          get lifted, thrashed so damn bad that my ONLY reaction is to hang onto the
          bar... and this makes a lot of sense when i am anything over 10 feet
          up...which is normally where i find myself after i come to my senses after
          the initial GRIP of DEATH reaction !
        • Roland Andrag
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 3, 2001

            > Has ANYONE actually ever released a snap shackle in a REAL emergency
            > situation ?

            Yes, I was sailing upwind of a really ugly barbed wire fence (running into
            the water to seperate someone's property from the launching area), lost my
            egde at exactly the wrong moment, pulled the snap shackle and stopped 2 m
            from the fence. If I'd been in the chicken loop (or locked in the wipika
            loop!) I would most probably have been hurt, hitting the fence right about
            when I would have been powering up to release.

            Roland
          • thorpes@arklogic.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 3, 2001

              Steve T. wrote:
              > > *I've also never YET felt the need to release from the
              > > leash itself, but you know the rest ...
              >
              > Has ANYONE actually ever released a snap shackle in a REAL
              > emergency situation ?
              >
              > I got some friends that are getting shackle happy but in all
              > my kitemares i get lifted, thrashed so damn bad that my ONLY
              > reaction is to hang onto the bar...

              My comment ( and I though Mel's too) was refering to the total kite-
              release snap shackle - not the "leash" shackle. I definitely HAVE
              used the leash shackle a couple of times - before I'd "mastered" the
              downwind launch on my Arcs I used it one when I started getting
              dragged dangerously close to a rock levee. A second time when I
              started getting tea-bagged in suddenly overpowered conditions - in
              about 1 ft of water! After two lucky landings I decided that pulling
              leash shackle was a good idea.

              As far as the total release shackle is concerned - yes I know that
              kind of emergency is rare--crashing on to a car passing in a parking
              lot (seen it happen) getting completely tangled in someone elses kite
              which then takes off at full power- removing your steering AND leash
              options in one go (seen it happen) but for a $20 shackle why take the
              risk of being permanently and irreversibly attached to the kite?

              Of course if you use a regular wrist or harness mounted leash you
              don't need a "leashing" shackle and if you don't ride permenaently
              attached to the kite you don't need a total-release shackle.

              Steve T.
            • Stefano Rosso
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 4, 2001

                > > I got some friends that are getting shackle happy but in all
                > > my kitemares i get lifted, thrashed so damn bad that my ONLY
                > > reaction is to hang onto the bar...
                >
                > My comment ( and I though Mel's too) was refering to the total kite-
                > release snap shackle - not the "leash" shackle.

                Me too !

                > I definitely HAVE
                > used the leash shackle a couple of times - before I'd "mastered" the
                > downwind launch on my Arcs I used it one when I started getting
                > dragged dangerously close to a rock levee. A second time when I
                > started getting tea-bagged in suddenly overpowered conditions - in
                > about 1 ft of water! After two lucky landings I decided that pulling
                > leash shackle was a good idea.
                >
                > As far as the total release shackle is concerned - yes I know that
                > kind of emergency is rare--crashing on to a car passing in a parking
                > lot (seen it happen) getting completely tangled in someone elses kite
                > which then takes off at full power- removing your steering AND leash
                > options in one go (seen it happen) but for a $20 shackle why take the
                > risk of being permanently and irreversibly attached to the kite?

                I agree totally... but i have some friends that are getting too confident
                because they now have shackles (leash, loop whatever)

                seems to me that the most sensible thing is not to ride upwind of barbed wire
                !! doesnt matter if you have a shackle or not !
              • Roland Andrag
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 4, 2001
                  > seems to me that the most sensible thing is not to ride upwind of barbed
                  wire
                  > !! doesnt matter if you have a shackle or not !

                  I agree fully with that statement. Basically I was making it back to the
                  landing area in a fading wind, and had lost a lot of ground on the way in,
                  hence did not have the 200 m buffer normally kept. I had the choice of
                  stopping before the fence or after, and wrongly decided to push on past it
                  (since I was going well and it was the home stretch of 30 m), very dumb.
                  Gust hits, edge goes, water spraying everywhere, did not know where the
                  fence was until I had stopped, having pulled the leash shackle. Was glad I
                  had the shackle. Also shackle played no role in my deciding to pass the
                  fence (although if I didn't have a shackle I would probably have unhooked
                  from the chicken loop, since I was fully aware I was doing something
                  stupid).

                  Roland
                • thorpes@arklogic.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 4, 2001
                    --- In kitesurf@y..., "Roland Andrag" <randrag@i...> wrote:

                    >... Also shackle played no role in my deciding to pass
                    > the fence ...

                    >...I was fully aware I was doing something stupid.

                    I guess this is what differentiates good kitesurfers from
                    bad - the bad ones don't know when they're doing something
                    stupid ;-)

                    Steve T.
                  • jmullmd@home.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 4, 2001
                      --- In kitesurf@y..., thorpes@a... wrote:
                      > --- In kitesurf@y..., "Roland Andrag" <randrag@i...> wrote:
                      >
                      > >... Also shackle played no role in my deciding to pass
                      > > the fence ...
                      >
                      > >...I was fully aware I was doing something stupid.
                      >

                      > I guess this is what differentiates good kitesurfers from
                      > bad - the bad ones don't know when they're doing something
                      > stupid ;-)
                      >
                      > Steve T.

                      Sometimes the more foolish ones are easily identified by the
                      bandages, casts, duct tape, cervical halos, staples, clips and joint
                      immobilizers they are wearing at the beach...the kind of thing our
                      buddy Traig wears around nearly every day of his injury-prone life.

                      John
                    • Mel
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 5, 2001
                        <thorpes@...> wrote:

                        > I definitely HAVE
                        > used the leash shackle a couple of times ... A second time when I
                        > started getting tea-bagged in suddenly overpowered conditions - in
                        > about 1 ft of water! After two lucky landings I decided that pulling
                        > leash shackle was a good idea.

                        Once again, better to hover low (away from land in this case!), then you
                        just get dragged instead of lifted. I launch inflatables in thigh deep
                        water, & if I get lifted I fly the kite out, so I land planing on the water,
                        instead of a hard surface (like shallow water).

                        > As far as the total release shackle ...
                        > getting completely tangled in someone elses kite ...

                        Oh yeah! Thanks. I hadn't thought about that in a while, even though I try
                        to remember to use that as an example of why to use a leash (for those who
                        think they don't need it just because THEY have good skills).

                        > if you don't ride permenaently
                        > attached to the kite you don't need a total-release shackle.

                        I guess, but in order to be equally safe, you'd still need a trim loop
                        shackle.

                        Mel