Sled/foil works!

  • Hung Vu
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2001
      I rigged a very simple version of the sled/foil bridle on the Concept
      Air EX's 6.0 and it works beautifully!

      The bridle consists of the exact duplication of the original primary
      bridle at each wing tip of the kite (read my "perfect kite" post for the
      definition of the primary bridle). A "V" about 1.5 times the length
      (span) of the kite is connected to the duplicated primary bridles at the
      wing tips.

      The center of the "V" is connected to a flying line which is connected
      to a center sled/foil leader line on the bar with a strap system similar
      to the Wipika/Naish 4 line set up (the bar now has 2 center leader
      lines: the original center leader line for brake/safety release and the
      new center sled/foil leader line)

      In its neutral setting, the center sled/foil leader line has no effect
      on the shape of the kite (i.e., the kite is flying as a foil as it
      normally would).

      When the center sled/foil leader line is shortened, the wing tips are
      curved down and therefore reduce the projected surface of the kite (the
      kite starts becoming more like a sled). The more the center sled/foil
      leader line is shortened, the less the projected surface of the kite.

      Since the wind was light (10 - 12 knots), I kitesurfed with the center
      sled/foil leader line in its neutral setting. The kite behaved as it
      normally would and the new bridles did not seem to interfere with the
      kite performance in this mode.

      When I started pulling on the center sled/foil leader line, both the
      wing tips started to curve down and and the more I shortened the center
      sled/foil leader line, the more the wing tips curved down (the more the
      kite looked like a sled). The more the wing tips curved down, the more
      stable the kite became. This worked well upto a point when the wing
      tips started to collapse frequently (the reason for this collapse was
      predictable as I have yet connected the duplicated primary bridles at
      the tips to the inner primary bridles - this will be the next step).

      Even with this very simple sled/foil bridle and the limitation to how
      much "sled" I can turn the foil into, I estimate that this set up would
      make the EX's 6.0 to have the same wind range as an equivalent 4 line
      inflatable (double the wind speed wind range or 10 - 20 knots for the
      EX's 6.0 for me).

      The next experiment would be to connect the duplicated primary bridles
      at the wing tips to the inner primary bridles for more foil/sled range
      or more wind range (I may have to duplicate more inner primary bridles
      to avoid interference with the operation of the original foil bridles).

      The only issue I found so far is what to do with the the amount of
      center sled/foil lead line I had to shorten to turn the kite into a sled
      (could be upto 5' - 6').

      For the benefit of those not reading some of my previous posts: the
      advantage of the sled/foil over a 4 line inflatable is that it has the
      ability to make use the best of the foil and sled technologies (high
      performance in light wind and stability in strong wind) with potential
      of much more wind range.

      Have fun playing with your sled/foil!

      Hung.
    • Gurpreet Pandher
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3, 2001
        Another kitemare has left me with broken ribs, one week before a series of
        competitions that I have been waiting all season for.

        I mostly ride in a shallow harbour and invariably ride when it is too
        shallow. I confidently jump big and land in 8 inches of water. 2 months ago
        I broke a finger by putting my leading hand in the water to regain an edge,
        only to catch my finger in the sandy seabed. Doh!

        This weekend I landed a big triple back - (stoked) - only to see my kite
        diving hard for the water with the leader lines locked following the triple
        twist. Not wanting my precious new kite to hit the water hard, I managed to
        pull it out of the dive. Unfortunately the kite was now as powered up as it
        could be, smack in the middle of the powerzone and I had not yet set an
        edge. Consequently, I went fast downwind into shallower water. No problem -
        I sorted out the twists in my lines as I regained my edge. To help my edging
        I dipped my front hand in the water and my recently broken finger hit the
        seabed again. At this point, I still hadn't regained control of the
        situation and my square-tipped twin tip skipped out from under me with the
        rear end flipping out in front to dig into the water and the seabed. The
        front tip was proud of the water as my inertia and the pull of the kite
        impaled me on it just under the ribs. Naturally my first thoughts were for
        my board but my relief to see it in one piece was soon dampened by the
        winding pain and greater concern for my spleen, diaphragm and ribs.

        Thank God I sold my picklefork!

        Ride safe and deep, Simon.

        PS On a medical note, broken ribs may not sound too bad but do to be tempted
        to ignore the pain and ride before they have healed. Harnesses tend to crush
        the ribcage and the forces in a wipeout might be enough for a broken rib to
        'puncture' a lung.
      • mark@upnaway.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4, 2001
          G'day,
          another shallow water kitemare,
          i was riding in gusty 20-35 knot conditions with a 4-lined 5m Naish
          I landed a 4-5m high jump on an unanticipated sandbar (~1ft deep I
          was expecting ~2m), I landed hard as the 5m does not put you down
          softly. When I landed I was standing straight up with my left leg
          straight and as a consequence i ended up with a fractured pelvis and
          was off the water for 8 weeks. Even though I had ridden this spot
          many times before I did not anticipate how shallow the water was.
          So know where you surf well and take nothing for granted.
          Mark

        • james@calaba.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 5, 2001
            Hung,

            Interested to hear your sled/foil ideas. I have several foils with
            no sheeting ability and am happy to experiment on how to give them
            greater range.

            You mentioned that you duplicated the primary bridles at the
            wingtips. Why didn't you use the existing tip bridles?

            If you pull in on the sled control center line, how much load is put
            on the tip bridles? Do they need special reinforcement?

            When the tips are pulled in using a central line, do the original
            bridle lines to the tips become slack? If so, how is it possible to
            steer the kite?

            Does the center line tie direct to the tip v-lines, or do they form a
            loop and the center line attach using a pulley?

            James
          • hungvu@netcom.ca
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 5, 2001
              --- In kitesurf@y..., james@c... wrote:
              > You mentioned that you duplicated the primary bridles at the
              > wingtips. Why didn't you use the existing tip bridles?

              The primary bridles at the wing tips are pulled inward by the
              secondary bridles such that you need to duplicate them.

              > If you pull in on the sled control center line, how much load is
              put
              > on the tip bridles? Do they need special reinforcement?

              With just the duplicated primary bridles at the wingtips, the kite
              would not be come a full sled so the load on the bridles at the wing
              tips should be fairly reasonable.

              However, some re-inforcement is still recommended (the Concept Air
              EX's 6.0 has some re-inforcement at the wing tips bridle already)

              > When the tips are pulled in using a central line, do the original
              > bridle lines to the tips become slack? If so, how is it possible
              > steer the kite?

              When you pull lots of sled/foil center line, only the primary bridles
              next to the wing tip bridle may become slightly slack.

              I still need to repeat the same connection for the inner primary
              bridles (this would allow for more sled/foil range or more wind
              range).

              Steering seems fine (remember that I have a power steering line
              connecting the front secondary bridle to the trailing edge - each
              power steering line for each side). These power steering lines seem
              to steer kite more than the original bridle.

              > Does the center line tie direct to the tip v-lines, or do they form
              > loop and the center line attach using a pulley?

              From the bar, you have a system similar to the Wipika/Naish 4 line
              bar (except that the system should allow longer adjustment of the
              center leader line).

              A flying line connects the center leader line to the "V". The "V" is
              around 1.5 times the span of the kite (should be within 1.2 to 2.0
              times the span of the kite - a very long "V" is no good) and connect

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 5, 2001