Re: [ksurf] Re: Arc and Quadrifoil bar

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 1, 2001
      <thorpes@...> wrote:

      > I'm sure it would work just fine

      Okay. Thanks. I'll try it after I find the ideal wedged 840 adjustment
      strap length (& then replace it with plain line).

      >- my only reservation
      > is the (small) possibility that when you need it most
      > the release mechanism may be hard to find.

      Better safe than sorry. I already have my release positioned "unsafely" at
      the top of my strap, so if anything my new idea should be safer since it'll
      be closer (I can shorten all the leaders since I won't need the extra length
      for adjustment range).

      Mel
    • thorpes@arklogic.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 1, 2001

        > Steve Thorpe wrote,
        >
        > Well one day I found that my glider
        > had many more tricks up its sleeve than I'd imagined and now
        > I'm about 3/4 shorter. :(
        >
        > 3/4 shorter = crushed vertebra?

        L4 & L5 :(

        Steve T.
      • Kitepower
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 2, 2001
          Me too I used to 6'11", now I'm only 5'5" I've lost about an inch!! :-)
          T7,T8,L1,L2,L3 and L4

          Cya and
          Goodwinds
          Steve McCormack
          http://www.kitepower.com.au
          mailto:sydney@...
          126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
          Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
          Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
          > had many more tricks up its sleeve than I'd imagined and now
          > I'm about 3/4 shorter. :(
          >
          > 3/4 shorter = crushed vertebra?

          L4 & L5 :(

          Steve T.

          This group is sponsored by KiteHIGH.com
          For Kitesurfers by Kitesurfers

          http://www.KiteHigh.com

          Win Board or Cabrinha Kite sweepstakes on now.

          1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA
          808 579 9849
          Email:support@...

        • Stefano Rosso
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 3, 2001

            > > ..I've NEVER felt the need to release from the leash itself,
            > > which would eliminate the need for the second snap shackle
            >
            > I've also never YET felt the need to release from the
            > leash itself, but you know the rest ...

            Has ANYONE actually ever released a snap shackle in a REAL emergency
            situation ?

            I got some friends that are getting shackle happy but in all my kitemares i
            get lifted, thrashed so damn bad that my ONLY reaction is to hang onto the
            bar... and this makes a lot of sense when i am anything over 10 feet
            up...which is normally where i find myself after i come to my senses after
            the initial GRIP of DEATH reaction !
          • Roland Andrag
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 3, 2001

              > Has ANYONE actually ever released a snap shackle in a REAL emergency
              > situation ?

              Yes, I was sailing upwind of a really ugly barbed wire fence (running into
              the water to seperate someone's property from the launching area), lost my
              egde at exactly the wrong moment, pulled the snap shackle and stopped 2 m
              from the fence. If I'd been in the chicken loop (or locked in the wipika
              loop!) I would most probably have been hurt, hitting the fence right about
              when I would have been powering up to release.

              Roland
            • thorpes@arklogic.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 3, 2001

                Steve T. wrote:
                > > *I've also never YET felt the need to release from the
                > > leash itself, but you know the rest ...
                >
                > Has ANYONE actually ever released a snap shackle in a REAL
                > emergency situation ?
                >
                > I got some friends that are getting shackle happy but in all
                > my kitemares i get lifted, thrashed so damn bad that my ONLY
                > reaction is to hang onto the bar...

                My comment ( and I though Mel's too) was refering to the total kite-
                release snap shackle - not the "leash" shackle. I definitely HAVE
                used the leash shackle a couple of times - before I'd "mastered" the
                downwind launch on my Arcs I used it one when I started getting
                dragged dangerously close to a rock levee. A second time when I
                started getting tea-bagged in suddenly overpowered conditions - in
                about 1 ft of water! After two lucky landings I decided that pulling
                leash shackle was a good idea.

                As far as the total release shackle is concerned - yes I know that
                kind of emergency is rare--crashing on to a car passing in a parking
                lot (seen it happen) getting completely tangled in someone elses kite
                which then takes off at full power- removing your steering AND leash
                options in one go (seen it happen) but for a $20 shackle why take the
                risk of being permanently and irreversibly attached to the kite?

                Of course if you use a regular wrist or harness mounted leash you
                don't need a "leashing" shackle and if you don't ride permenaently
                attached to the kite you don't need a total-release shackle.

                Steve T.
              • Stefano Rosso
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 4, 2001

                  > > I got some friends that are getting shackle happy but in all
                  > > my kitemares i get lifted, thrashed so damn bad that my ONLY
                  > > reaction is to hang onto the bar...
                  >
                  > My comment ( and I though Mel's too) was refering to the total kite-
                  > release snap shackle - not the "leash" shackle.

                  Me too !

                  > I definitely HAVE
                  > used the leash shackle a couple of times - before I'd "mastered" the
                  > downwind launch on my Arcs I used it one when I started getting
                  > dragged dangerously close to a rock levee. A second time when I
                  > started getting tea-bagged in suddenly overpowered conditions - in
                  > about 1 ft of water! After two lucky landings I decided that pulling
                  > leash shackle was a good idea.
                  >
                  > As far as the total release shackle is concerned - yes I know that
                  > kind of emergency is rare--crashing on to a car passing in a parking
                  > lot (seen it happen) getting completely tangled in someone elses kite
                  > which then takes off at full power- removing your steering AND leash
                  > options in one go (seen it happen) but for a $20 shackle why take the
                  > risk of being permanently and irreversibly attached to the kite?

                  I agree totally... but i have some friends that are getting too confident
                  because they now have shackles (leash, loop whatever)

                  seems to me that the most sensible thing is not to ride upwind of barbed wire
                  !! doesnt matter if you have a shackle or not !
                • Roland Andrag
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 4, 2001
                    > seems to me that the most sensible thing is not to ride upwind of barbed
                    wire
                    > !! doesnt matter if you have a shackle or not !

                    I agree fully with that statement. Basically I was making it back to the
                    landing area in a fading wind, and had lost a lot of ground on the way in,
                    hence did not have the 200 m buffer normally kept. I had the choice of
                    stopping before the fence or after, and wrongly decided to push on past it
                    (since I was going well and it was the home stretch of 30 m), very dumb.
                    Gust hits, edge goes, water spraying everywhere, did not know where the
                    fence was until I had stopped, having pulled the leash shackle. Was glad I
                    had the shackle. Also shackle played no role in my deciding to pass the
                    fence (although if I didn't have a shackle I would probably have unhooked
                    from the chicken loop, since I was fully aware I was doing something
                    stupid).

                    Roland
                  • thorpes@arklogic.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 4, 2001
                      --- In kitesurf@y..., "Roland Andrag" <randrag@i...> wrote:

                      >... Also shackle played no role in my deciding to pass
                      > the fence ...

                      >...I was fully aware I was doing something stupid.

                      I guess this is what differentiates good kitesurfers from
                      bad - the bad ones don't know when they're doing something
                      stupid ;-)

                      Steve T.
                    • jmullmd@home.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 4, 2001
                        --- In kitesurf@y..., thorpes@a... wrote:
                        > --- In kitesurf@y..., "Roland Andrag" <randrag@i...> wrote:
                        >
                        > >... Also shackle played no role in my deciding to pass
                        > > the fence ...
                        >
                        > >...I was fully aware I was doing something stupid.
                        >

                        > I guess this is what differentiates good kitesurfers from
                        > bad - the bad ones don't know when they're doing something
                        > stupid ;-)
                        >
                        > Steve T.

                        Sometimes the more foolish ones are easily identified by the
                        bandages, casts, duct tape, cervical halos, staples, clips and joint
                        immobilizers they are wearing at the beach...the kind of thing our
                        buddy Traig wears around nearly every day of his injury-prone life.

                        John
                      • Mel
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 5, 2001
                          <thorpes@...> wrote:

                          > I definitely HAVE
                          > used the leash shackle a couple of times ... A second time when I
                          > started getting tea-bagged in suddenly overpowered conditions - in
                          > about 1 ft of water! After two lucky landings I decided that pulling
                          > leash shackle was a good idea.

                          Once again, better to hover low (away from land in this case!), then you
                          just get dragged instead of lifted. I launch inflatables in thigh deep
                          water, & if I get lifted I fly the kite out, so I land planing on the water,
                          instead of a hard surface (like shallow water).

                          > As far as the total release shackle ...
                          > getting completely tangled in someone elses kite ...

                          Oh yeah! Thanks. I hadn't thought about that in a while, even though I try
                          to remember to use that as an example of why to use a leash (for those who
                          think they don't need it just because THEY have good skills).

                          > if you don't ride permenaently
                          > attached to the kite you don't need a total-release shackle.

                          I guess, but in order to be equally safe, you'd still need a trim loop
                          shackle.

                          Mel