Re: [ksurf] Re: Arc and Quadrifoil bar

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 1, 2001
      <thorpes@...> wrote:

      > I'm sure it would work just fine

      Okay. Thanks. I'll try it after I find the ideal wedged 840 adjustment
      strap length (& then replace it with plain line).

      >- my only reservation
      > is the (small) possibility that when you need it most
      > the release mechanism may be hard to find.

      Better safe than sorry. I already have my release positioned "unsafely" at
      the top of my strap, so if anything my new idea should be safer since it'll
      be closer (I can shorten all the leaders since I won't need the extra length
      for adjustment range).

      Mel
    • Kitepower
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 1, 2001
        Steve Thorpe wrote,

        Well one day I found that my glider
        had many more tricks up its sleeve than I'd imagined and now
        I'm about 3/4 shorter. :(

        3/4 shorter = crushed vertebra?

        Cya and
        Goodwinds
        Steve McCormack
        http://www.kitepower.com.au
        mailto:sydney@...
        126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
        Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
        Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 1, 2001

          > Steve Thorpe wrote,
          >
          > Well one day I found that my glider
          > had many more tricks up its sleeve than I'd imagined and now
          > I'm about 3/4 shorter. :(
          >
          > 3/4 shorter = crushed vertebra?

          L4 & L5 :(

          Steve T.
        • Kitepower

            > had many more tricks up its sleeve than I'd imagined and now
            > I'm about 3/4 shorter. :(
            >
            > 3/4 shorter = crushed vertebra?

            L4 & L5 :(

            Steve T.

            This group is sponsored by KiteHIGH.com
            For Kitesurfers by Kitesurfers

            http://www.KiteHigh.com

            Win Board or Cabrinha Kite sweepstakes on now.

            1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA
            808 579 9849
            Email:support@...

          • Stefano Rosso
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 3, 2001

              > > ..I've NEVER felt the need to release from the leash itself,
              > > which would eliminate the need for the second snap shackle
              >
              > I've also never YET felt the need to release from the
              > leash itself, but you know the rest ...

              Has ANYONE actually ever released a snap shackle in a REAL emergency
              situation ?

              I got some friends that are getting shackle happy but in all my kitemares i
              get lifted, thrashed so damn bad that my ONLY reaction is to hang onto the
              bar... and this makes a lot of sense when i am anything over 10 feet
              up...which is normally where i find myself after i come to my senses after
              the initial GRIP of DEATH reaction !
            • Roland Andrag
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 3, 2001

                > Has ANYONE actually ever released a snap shackle in a REAL emergency
                > situation ?

                Yes, I was sailing upwind of a really ugly barbed wire fence (running into
                the water to seperate someone's property from the launching area), lost my
                egde at exactly the wrong moment, pulled the snap shackle and stopped 2 m
                from the fence. If I'd been in the chicken loop (or locked in the wipika
                loop!) I would most probably have been hurt, hitting the fence right about
                when I would have been powering up to release.

                Roland
              • thorpes@arklogic.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 3, 2001

                  Steve T. wrote:
                  > > *I've also never YET felt the need to release from the
                  > > leash itself, but you know the rest ...
                  >
                  > Has ANYONE actually ever released a snap shackle in a REAL
                  > emergency situation ?
                  >
                  > I got some friends that are getting shackle happy but in all
                  > my kitemares i get lifted, thrashed so damn bad that my ONLY
                  > reaction is to hang onto the bar...

                  My comment ( and I though Mel's too) was refering to the total kite-
                  release snap shackle - not the "leash" shackle. I definitely HAVE
                  used the leash shackle a couple of times - before I'd "mastered" the
                  downwind launch on my Arcs I used it one when I started getting
                  dragged dangerously close to a rock levee. A second time when I
                  started getting tea-bagged in suddenly overpowered conditions - in
                  about 1 ft of water! After two lucky landings I decided that pulling
                  leash shackle was a good idea.

                  As far as the total release shackle is concerned - yes I know that
                  kind of emergency is rare--crashing on to a car passing in a parking
                  lot (seen it happen) getting completely tangled in someone elses kite
                  which then takes off at full power- removing your steering AND leash
                  options in one go (seen it happen) but for a $20 shackle why take the
                  risk of being permanently and irreversibly attached to the kite?

                  Of course if you use a regular wrist or harness mounted leash you
                  don't need a "leashing" shackle and if you don't ride permenaently
                  attached to the kite you don't need a total-release shackle.

                  Steve T.
                • Stefano Rosso
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 4, 2001

                    > > I got some friends that are getting shackle happy but in all
                    > > my kitemares i get lifted, thrashed so damn bad that my ONLY
                    > > reaction is to hang onto the bar...
                    >
                    > My comment ( and I though Mel's too) was refering to the total kite-
                    > release snap shackle - not the "leash" shackle.

                    Me too !

                    > I definitely HAVE
                    > used the leash shackle a couple of times - before I'd "mastered" the
                    > downwind launch on my Arcs I used it one when I started getting
                    > dragged dangerously close to a rock levee. A second time when I
                    > started getting tea-bagged in suddenly overpowered conditions - in
                    > about 1 ft of water! After two lucky landings I decided that pulling
                    > leash shackle was a good idea.
                    >
                    > As far as the total release shackle is concerned - yes I know that
                    > kind of emergency is rare--crashing on to a car passing in a parking
                    > lot (seen it happen) getting completely tangled in someone elses kite
                    > which then takes off at full power- removing your steering AND leash
                    > options in one go (seen it happen) but for a $20 shackle why take the
                    > risk of being permanently and irreversibly attached to the kite?

                    I agree totally... but i have some friends that are getting too confident
                    because they now have shackles (leash, loop whatever)

                    seems to me that the most sensible thing is not to ride upwind of barbed wire
                    !! doesnt matter if you have a shackle or not !
                  • Roland Andrag
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 4, 2001
                      > seems to me that the most sensible thing is not to ride upwind of barbed
                      wire
                      > !! doesnt matter if you have a shackle or not !

                      I agree fully with that statement. Basically I was making it back to the
                      landing area in a fading wind, and had lost a lot of ground on the way in,
                      hence did not have the 200 m buffer normally kept. I had the choice of
                      stopping before the fence or after, and wrongly decided to push on past it
                      (since I was going well and it was the home stretch of 30 m), very dumb.
                      Gust hits, edge goes, water spraying everywhere, did not know where the
                      fence was until I had stopped, having pulled the leash shackle. Was glad I
                      had the shackle. Also shackle played no role in my deciding to pass the
                      fence (although if I didn't have a shackle I would probably have unhooked
                      from the chicken loop, since I was fully aware I was doing something
                      stupid).

                      Roland
                    • thorpes@arklogic.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 4, 2001
                        --- In kitesurf@y..., "Roland Andrag" <randrag@i...> wrote:

                        >... Also shackle played no role in my deciding to pass
                        > the fence ...

                        >...I was fully aware I was doing something stupid.

                        I guess this is what differentiates good kitesurfers from
                        bad - the bad ones don't know when they're doing something
                        stupid ;-)

                        Steve T.
                      • jmullmd@home.com
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 4, 2001
                          --- In kitesurf@y..., thorpes@a... wrote:
                          > --- In kitesurf@y..., "Roland Andrag" <randrag@i...> wrote:
                          >
                          > >... Also shackle played no role in my deciding to pass
                          > > the fence ...
                          >
                          > >...I was fully aware I was doing something stupid.
                          >

                          > I guess this is what differentiates good kitesurfers from
                          > bad - the bad ones don't know when they're doing something
                          > stupid ;-)
                          >
                          > Steve T.

                          Sometimes the more foolish ones are easily identified by the
                          bandages, casts, duct tape, cervical halos, staples, clips and joint
                          immobilizers they are wearing at the beach...the kind of thing our
                          buddy Traig wears around nearly every day of his injury-prone life.

                          John
                        • Mel
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 5, 2001
                            <thorpes@...> wrote:

                            > I definitely HAVE
                            > used the leash shackle a couple of times ... A second time when I
                            > started getting tea-bagged in suddenly overpowered conditions - in
                            > about 1 ft of water! After two lucky landings I decided that pulling
                            > leash shackle was a good idea.

                            Once again, better to hover low (away from land in this case!), then you
                            just get dragged instead of lifted. I launch inflatables in thigh deep
                            water, & if I get lifted I fly the kite out, so I land planing on the water,
                            instead of a hard surface (like shallow water).

                            > As far as the total release shackle ...
                            > getting completely tangled in someone elses kite ...

                            Oh yeah! Thanks. I hadn't thought about that in a while, even though I try
                            to remember to use that as an example of why to use a leash (for those who
                            think they don't need it just because THEY have good skills).

                            > if you don't ride permenaently
                            > attached to the kite you don't need a total-release shackle.

                            I guess, but in order to be equally safe, you'd still need a trim loop
                            shackle.

                            Mel