Re: [ksurf] Storing kites and bladder problems

  • Brian Erickson
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2001
      I just finished fixing 15 new holes in my 12.2 Black Tip. I'm
      getting really good at this. The holes are now showing up at the
      tips where the bladder is welded to the fabric. Obviously a defect
      in the welding techinique there. The holes I get vary from tiny
      holes to small slits. I fly the same beach with a guy on a Wipika
      and he doesn't have the same problem. hmmm?

      --- In kitesurf@y..., David San <dsa_96929@y...> wrote:

> [...]
      > > my 12.2 BT. I will
      > > > make bladder repairs re-install the repaired
      > > bladders and then
      > > > inflate the kite to test. The kite will stay
      > > inflated on my lawn for
      > > > 3-4 hours as a test. Everything seems fine.
      > > >
      > > > The next day I go to the beach and take the kite
      > > out of the bag. I
      > > > pump it up and it goes flat before I can even get
      > > my harness on and
      > > > my board out of the trunk. What is going on??????
      > > Upon inspection
      > > > (again) there are lots (6-8) of new holes in all
      > > the bladders,
      > > > leading edge and battens. The holes are not just
      > > in the seams, but
      > > > are all over the place. I have been through 4 sets
      > > of bladders
      > > > including the original set in the kite, and have
      > > ended up with the
      > > > same frustrating scenario every time. I have even
      > > taken a shop vac to
      > > > the inside of the casings to be sure there is no
      > > debris in the kite.
      > > >
      > > > There has been some discussion about the bladders
      > > being a very thin
      > > > material. Some people see this as an advantage. It
      > > looks to me like
      > > > the bladders are having small holes torn in them
      > > simply by deflating
      > > > the kite and rolling it small enough to fit in its
      > > bag. Can this
      > > > really be the case?
      > > >
      > > > I am rolling the deflated kite in from the two
      > > ends in to the center
      > > > batten. Then I fold the rolled kite to put it in
      > > the bag. Any
      > > > problems here?
      > > >
      > > > I am at a total loss.
      > > >
      > > > This group is sponsored by KiteHIGH.com
      > > > For Kitesurfers by Kitesurfers
      > > >
      > > > http://www.KiteHigh.com
      > > >
      > > > Win Board or Cabrinha Kite sweepstakes on now.
      > > >
      > > > 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA
      > > > 808 579 9849
      > > > Email:support@k...
      > > >
      > > > <<<to unsubscribe send a message to
      > > kitesurf-unsubscribe@egroups.com>>>
      > > >
      > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      > >
      > > --
      > > Peter Traykovski
      > > Applied Ocean Physics & Engineering Dept.
      > > MS#11, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
      > > Woods Hole, MA 02543
      > > ptraykovski@w... (508)-289-2638
      > > http://penguin.whoi.edu
      > >

      > > This group is sponsored by KiteHIGH.com
      > > For Kitesurfers by Kitesurfers
      > >
      > > http://www.KiteHigh.com
      > >
      > > Win Board or Cabrinha Kite sweepstakes on now.
      > >
      > > 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA
      > > 808 579 9849
      > > Email:support@k...
      > >
      > > <<<to unsubscribe send a message to
      > > kitesurf-unsubscribe@egroups.com>>>
      > >
      > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      > >
      > > I have the same problem with BT 9.4 7.0 there are
      > small leaks,seams split,all of the valves just peeled
      > off!!! is there a new bladder much more durable and

      Messenger
    • iclimbtrees@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2001
        When rolling up your kite do you fold it in half after rolling it up
        to get it to fit in the bag(zipped up)? I have been having better
        luck than the rest of the black tip flyers by just rolling it up
        after deflating it. The bag is unzipped and extended. I was
        thinking that the less I have to fold the kite the less wear on the
        struts. Hope this help a bit, An I have been told that thicker
        bladders are on their way to the distributors as I am writing this.
        They are a waranty repalcement or something like that(no charge).
        Ask your distributor, or retailer.
        cheers
        mika

      • piacenza1@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3, 2001
          erik...the best way to...get yourself an arc and forget about the
          bladers.
          they are great.
          G.J.
        • JeffSchilling@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 26, 2001
            Are the holes in the actual bladder? I have 8 pin holes in the
            leading edge fabric after only 3 sessions( I guess from the grass and
            stickers). I guess i will have to get a tarp to place under my kite
            while i rig up. Anyways what should i do to repair these timy holes?
            Thanks in advance, Jeff Schilling

          • Brian Erickson
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2001
              I'd get back to your kite shop and ask for new bladders. Cabrinha
              had some major problems with a batch of bladders and you must have
              been one of the lucky guys. I'm on my third set now that Cabrinha
              has replaced for free. The last set looks much better, the material
              is much more puncture resistant and the seams look great! Make it
              out two sessions now without any problems whereas before I'd have
              leaks after one hour.
              Brian