Re: [ksurf] Beginners Beware ... and experienced guys be careful!

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1 12:15 PM
      <kitesrfer@...>

      > Well said, and I second that in spades.

      Yes. Keep in mind if reading any of my suggestions (such as short or no
      leaders & no release from the leash) that not only have I got nearly 670
      hours on the water, but I wear gloves* & there's NO motorized traffic
      downwind of where I ride.

      Still, I ALWAYS use a depower release & a leash that's ATTACHED (not one I'd
      have to try to grab).

      *Ronstan 3-fingers from Murray's, because my girlfriend hates the tan lines
      & calouses.

      > ...he ended up getting pulled through the water head first by
      > some spectra kite line looped around his neck until his kite crashed

      Any idea HOW he got in that position?

      Mel
    • kitesrfer@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2 8:46 PM
        In a message dated 9/1/01 7:14:39 PM !!!First Boot!!!, kitebord@...
        writes:

        << <kitesrfer@...>

        > Well said, and I second that in spades.

        Yes. Keep in mind if reading any of my suggestions (such as short or no
        leaders & no release from the leash) that not only have I got nearly 670
        hours on the water, but I wear gloves* & there's NO motorized traffic
        downwind of where I ride.

        Still, I ALWAYS use a depower release & a leash that's ATTACHED (not one I'd
        have to try to grab).

        *Ronstan 3-fingers from Murray's, because my girlfriend hates the tan lines
        & calouses.

        > ...he ended up getting pulled through the water head first by
        > some spectra kite line looped around his neck until his kite crashed

        Any idea HOW he got in that position?

        Mel >>

        I think that he was passing the kite overhead, had a bad lull, stalled the
        kite and down came the line. Once some of the line had fallen over him the
        wind picked up and up went the kite, a bad situation. I have come close to
        that happening before but fortunately, not that close.

        Rick