***ARC Wedging***

  • Pedro Manuel Osete Láiz
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 29, 2001
      Hi to all, it's Pedro from Spain.

      I've never written to the group, but I read all the messages in a digest.

      I've got a 11.2 ARC bought on july, as you will suppose, unwedged. It worx great and I'm very glad about its perfo and superb stability in all conditions, specially in gusts. Pull is gentler than others and it really work fine, damn!

      I've read a lot about wedged ARCs in the group, about its still improved perfo, and I've asked my mother about sewing it and she told me OK, but with the appropiate instructions. She don't wanna be bothered by a upset son.

      I've seen the diagrams about the new shape of a wedged ARC that clarified me a lot, and I've seen the wedge web too. I saw some webs about sail sewing too. I already know that I've got to get the upper cloth and the bottom cloth sewed separated (but not together as I thought), but I wonder about its reinforcements (if needed).

      Now, I have some questions about it. I don't wanna do something wrong that can't de undone.

      1- Do I have to sew any strap or spectra/dyneema lines along the new edge profile or I only have to sew the internal bridle surplus?
      2- Will I need my ARC get unwedged later?
      3- What about sew a zip to wedge/unwedge ARC? I read about that....
      4- What kind of thread will I need? Is polyester fine or will I need something stronger like upholstery nylon?
      5- Is a zig-zag stitch what I have to do?
      6- Do I have to glue the bent fabric before sewing?
      7- Will I need to tape/seal the sewing?
      8- What do I have to do with the central air intake?
      9- Does wedging really worth?

      I'm very scared about doing something wrong.

      Sorry for my english and thanx in advice.

      Pedro from Cartagena.

      Buenos Vientos.

    • jmullmd@home.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2001
        Hola Pedro,

        I know Mel answered you already, but I might add a different opinion or
        two.

        --- In kitesurf@y..., Pedro Manuel Osete Láiz <periku@h...> wrote:
        > Hi to all, it's Pedro from Spain.
        > 1- Do I have to sew any strap or spectra/dyneema lines along the =
        new edge profile or I only have to sew the internal bridle surplus?

        No

        > 2- Will I need my ARC get unwedged later?
        > 3- What about sew a zip to wedge/unwedge ARC? I read about that..=
        ..

        Like Mel said, you won't want to.

        > 4- What kind of thread will I need? Is polyester fine or will I n=
        eed something stronger like upholstery nylon?

        I used upholstery thread on mine.

        > 5- Is a zig-zag stitch what I have to do?

        You might want to zigzag if you choose to reinforce the internal
        Dyneema bridle. I did this, and also hand sewed some upholstery thread
        in the internal bridle for further reinforcement, but this might have
        been unnecessary.

        > 6- Do I have to glue the bent fabric before sewing?
        > 7- Will I need to tape/seal the sewing?

        No glue or tape. If you draw your lines nice and dark you will be happy
        not to have taped. Some tapes can leave a residue when removed which is
        sticky and makes sewing difficult. If you leave the tape in place, it
        might be difficult to deal with if you later notice sand or water
        weight becoming a problem. I say draw your lines and make occasional
        transverse lines across so that you ensure you are not letting one side
        of the wedge get longer than the other. Also, drawing a line straight
        down the center of the kite from the middle of the front wedge to the
        midpoint of the trailing edge might help you align things while sewing.
        Don't bother with the tape...I initially did and it's worthless and
        even counterproductive.

        > 8- What do I have to do with the central air intake?

        I sewed across the mesh exactly as if it were part of the ripstop nylon
        part of the kite...no problem. On the older ARCs with the waterfoil
        style valves, the central air intake valve will disappear into the
        wedge and you won't miss it at all.

        > 9- Does wedging really worth?

        It's great. It made my 1120 become my favorite kite; fast and easy to
        turn like the 840, but with floatier jumps.

        > I'm very scared about doing something wrong.

        Then you better get going on the wedge. You'll love it so much you'll
        find that not wedging is the wrong thing...

        > Sorry for my english and thanx in advice.

        Todo muy bien dicho...no tardes...wedgelo ahora!

        > Pedro from Cartagena.
        >
        > Buenos Vientos.

        Vale,

        John