Re: [ksurf] Beginners Beware ... and experienced guys be careful!

  • kitesrfer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1 5:59 AM
      Hey Jeff,

      Well said, and I second that in spades. I just heard an interesting story
      yesterday from a kitesurfer in Southern California. Following a series of
      misadventures, he ended up getting pulled through the water head first by
      some spectra kite line looped around his neck until his kite crashed and
      depowered long enough for him to deal with the situation. Fortunately, he
      didn't suffer any cuts, amazingly enough. He had relatively short leader
      lines. Those long leader lines, not only are helpful in dealing with sleds
      with long leading edges but come in handy on occasion in other ways! He also
      swore to resume wearing a cutting tool, hook knife, etc.

      Fly safe,
      Rick

      << To all of you beginners and soon to be kiteboarders... Remeber that
      newsgroups like this one "can" be a wonderful source of information.
      I've learned a lot of good info here myself! Also Beware, and
      realize that the people that have the most free time on their hands
      to reply to questions are not "necessarily" experts. Some of the
      comments here are great, and some... "not" so great. When making a
      buying or rigging decision, go with "safety" and "ease of use" -
      first. Example: center "leader lines" may not be necessary, but in
      my experience they do offer an additional safety buffer. If you ever
      get a thin "flying line" around your arm, you will truly understand!
      The futher those thin slicing lines are away from your body... the
      better. Lessons are a smart idea when it comes to learning how to
      handle your new kite safely and avoid common mistakes. Read, watch,
      listen, learn, think, and Beware....even the person writing this post
      may be a true professional or... just another wanna-be.

      Jeff Weiss
      Kitemare.com / 904-742-6955
      "Learn fast, kite safe, get amped, go huge,
      and share the stoke!"

    • Mel
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1 12:15 PM
        <kitesrfer@...>

        > Well said, and I second that in spades.

        Yes. Keep in mind if reading any of my suggestions (such as short or no
        leaders & no release from the leash) that not only have I got nearly 670
        hours on the water, but I wear gloves* & there's NO motorized traffic
        downwind of where I ride.

        Still, I ALWAYS use a depower release & a leash that's ATTACHED (not one I'd
        have to try to grab).

        *Ronstan 3-fingers from Murray's, because my girlfriend hates the tan lines
        & calouses.

        > ...he ended up getting pulled through the water head first by
        > some spectra kite line looped around his neck until his kite crashed

        Any idea HOW he got in that position?

        Mel
      • kitesrfer@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2 8:46 PM
          In a message dated 9/1/01 7:14:39 PM !!!First Boot!!!, kitebord@...
          writes:

          << <kitesrfer@...>

          > Well said, and I second that in spades.

          Yes. Keep in mind if reading any of my suggestions (such as short or no
          leaders & no release from the leash) that not only have I got nearly 670
          hours on the water, but I wear gloves* & there's NO motorized traffic
          downwind of where I ride.

          Still, I ALWAYS use a depower release & a leash that's ATTACHED (not one I'd
          have to try to grab).

          *Ronstan 3-fingers from Murray's, because my girlfriend hates the tan lines
          & calouses.

          > ...he ended up getting pulled through the water head first by
          > some spectra kite line looped around his neck until his kite crashed

          Any idea HOW he got in that position?

          Mel >>

          I think that he was passing the kite overhead, had a bad lull, stalled the
          kite and down came the line. Once some of the line had fallen over him the
          wind picked up and up went the kite, a bad situation. I have come close to
          that happening before but fortunately, not that close.

          Rick