[ksurf] Re: First soft foil experience (WIND RAGE for 3???)

  • srosso@bunge.com.br
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 21, 1999

    • srosso@bunge.com.br
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 21, 1999
        I'm totally confused!
        The wind range for a 3 is 14-18 knots for kitesurfing?!?

        I was confused too! I asked michel and he told me thats not what he meant.
        I suggested a wind range chart for his kites (I think he will do it, time
        permitting)

        for example the wind range for the 7.2 m wave exs is recommended by concept
        air as 8-15 knots... the 3m definitely cannot be 14 to 18...

      • Antonio Lage
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 21, 1999
          At 14:07 21-07-99 -0300, you wrote:
          >I'm totally confused!
          >The wind range for a 3 is 14-18 knots for kitesurfing?!?
          >
          >I was confused too! I asked michel and he told me thats not what he meant.
          >I suggested a wind range chart for his kites (I think he will do it, time
          >permitting)
          >
          >for example the wind range for the 7.2 m wave exs is recommended by concept
          >air as 8-15 knots... the 3m definitely cannot be 14 to 18...

          Well, I don't know about other kites, but the C.Air 3.0 in 15-18 knots of
          wind was pulling me like a truck...more than enough for kitesurfing. I went
          body-draging yesterday in 20 knots (avarege) and got lifted clear of the
          water several times...the vertical component of the pull was incredible.
          Using a C.Air 4.8 or biger in that wind would be dangerous (for my level
          of experience).

          Antonio

        • Michel Montmigny
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 21, 1999
            Robin Zwissler wrote:

            > > I am sure that when you will have few hours practicing with the EX'S
            > > WAVE, you will really fly with the 3 in 14- 18 knots.
            >
            > I'm totally confused!
            > The wind range for a 3 is 14-18 knots for kitesurfing?!?
            >
            > Robin

            > eGroups Spotlight:
            > [eGroups.com]Nat Denman Memorial Pro Se Group - Self-help, discussion
            > and education on representing yourself without a lawyer.
            > http://www.egroups.com/group/denman/info.html
            >
            > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf

            I am sorry, to put confusion on the list.

            Let me explain, I said this morning to answer a message that with more
            practice it should not be a problem to go out with 14-18 knots of wind.

            Because that at that point, my client had few problems handling that
            kind of wind with our EX'S 3 sq/m.

            That WAVE 3 sq/m will be able to make you kitesurfing from about 12
            knots to 21 knots, all depend of your skill, experience, and wich kind
            of board you are using.

            A WAVE wind range should be on our site very soon.

            Have nice breeze
            Michel
            www.conceptair.com

          • fishersfort@ibm.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 21, 1999
              | |
              | A WAVE wind range should be on our site very soon.
              |
              | Have nice breeze
              | Michel
              | www.conceptair.com

              Can we have it now? I can't wait any longer. I want to order my kite and I
              am totally confused about what the real wind range is.

            • anrmgo@hermes.ulaval.ca
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 21, 1999
                The wind range for the 3.0 is more like 20-25

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 21, 1999
                  In a message dated 99-07-21 01:10:24 EDT, alage@... writes:

                  > To Stefano... ...and thanks for the tips about
                  > sailing overpowered, I will try then tomorrow. >>
                  >
                  >Please forward Stefano's post to the list so we can all learn his tips. It
                  >also might prompt others to respond with other advice.
                  >
                  >Thanks.
                  >
                  >Tom KiteBoard@...

                  What Stefano told me (in portuguese) was basicaly this:
                  - If you are totally overpowered fly the kite high, and avoid diving the
                  kite too much. The problem with this is that it's dificult to dig a rail to
                  go upwind...
                  - If you are just a little overpowered fly the kite very low, close to the
                  water where the wind is usually lighter. But a lapse in concentration can
                  let the kite go up...

                  Ronald Kittag gave a simple tip:
                  - Fly with shorter lines.
                  I think this would be the best solution but I only have 2 sets of lines,
                  both 30 meters (1 set for backup). Where I live there is no kite shops and
                  it could take more than a month to get new lines. And I don't have the
                  ability to cut and splice the ones I have.

                  This subject came up a few months ago in this list, but this sport is
                  growing so much maybe there are new technics out there (remenber the "swith
                  stance" jibe by Pete Cabrinha...)

                  Hung Vu put together some tips on sailing underpowered...if this post
                  catches his attention maybe he has the patience to make a compilation on
                  sailing overpowered...

                  Antonio from Brazil

                • Michel Montmigny
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 22, 1999
                    fishersfort@... wrote:

                    > | |
                    > | A WAVE wind range should be on our site very soon.
                    > |
                    > | Have nice breeze
                    > | Michel
                    > | www.conceptair.com
                    > |

                    > Can we have it now? I can't wait any longer. I want to order my kite and I
                    > am totally confused about what the real wind range is.

                    > [click here]
                    > Click Here!
                    >
                    > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf

                    O.K., I am broke on the pressure...;0)

                    I promess that I will put it on the list from here to next week.

                    We are so busy that I dont even time to upgrade our websitre as I would
                    like.

                    Michel