Re: [ksurf] Rules -PASS TO PORT-

  • callum@dr.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2001
      --- In kitesurf@y..., "Greg Walsh" <gregwal@e...> wrote:
      > I called right of way once 20 years ago as a new sailboarder and
      > nearly got run over by an old bastard in his racing keel boat.
      Never
      > again. Rules suck.

      Had the same problem, But I raised the nose of my boar a little and
      put it through the hull of his boat - ohh well he was in the wrong!!
      I never changed course either!! He was pissed though..... Especially
      when I just bounced off and kept on sailing!!

      The stakes are a bit higher when your behind a kite though!!
    • Rainer Leuschke
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2001
        On Thu, 2 Aug 2001 callum@... wrote:

        > --- In kitesurf@y..., "Greg Walsh" <gregwal@e...> wrote:
        > > I called right of way once 20 years ago as a new sailboarder and
        > > nearly got run over by an old bastard in his racing keel boat.
        > Never
        > > again. Rules suck.
        >
        > Had the same problem, But I raised the nose of my boar a little and
        > put it through the hull of his boat - ohh well he was in the wrong!!
        > I never changed course either!! He was pissed though..... Especially
        > when I just bounced off and kept on sailing!!

        Read the colregs carefully!
        (http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/boating/colregs.html). You
        have no right to hit anybody. "Right of way" exists on the road and
        between sailboats that race (and even there they taken the right to hit
        somebody out of the rule book).
        Rule 16 and 17 of the colregs state pretty clearly what the two parties on
        a collision course should do. If the old bastard invokes his bigger boat
        "rule" on you, shrug and take avoiding action (17 a ii). Then turn around
        and give him the finger.
        R!
      • Rainer Leuschke
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2001
          On Thu, 2 Aug 2001 janwcoffey@... wrote:
          > The point isn't to have a rule for what to do if your far appart
          > andhave plenty of time to alter course.

          That's what the intent of the colregs is. To have a set of rules that
          makes it clear what avoiding action to take when you have plenty time to
          do so. I take avoiding action 100m or further away from another kiter on a
          collision course, much further with boats. That doesn't mean I don't get
          close to others but only once it is clear what side I'm going to pass them
          on.

          > The point is to have a rule
          > for what to do when ther isn't enough time to think about it.

          If I should find myself in that situation (and on port), I will most
          certainly not bear off to increase my speed. That's like playing russian
          roulette, as I have no idea whether the star board tacker will not bear
          off in the same instant. There are more sailors out there that have no
          clue about rules and there are plenty more that think they know the rules.
          Bearing off...no thank you I'll round up and loose as much speed as I can
          (rule 17 b btw)

          R!