Re: [ksurf] Making 4 Line 2 Line

  • fishersfort@attglobal.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2001
      Wow, that Ken Winner is one clever dude. I heard about another trick
      he is using. He put NSI ramped heel pads under his wakeboard
      bindings. It ramps his heels up for insane edging. I plan to try the
      trick myself.

      Dwight

      --- In kitesurf@y..., "Bart van Oers" <B.J.vanOers@s...> wrote:
      > Hi Jeff,
      >
      > on the North Sails site (www.northkites.com) you can find a press
      release about a conversion set for
      > it's 4 line to fly them on 2 lines.
      > Perhaps that someone already has seen how this worked...
      >
      > regards,
      >
      > Bart
    • Peter Traykovski
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1, 2001
        In snowboarding people play around with all sorts of wedges..especially
        as the boots get stiffer i.e plastic race boots. The boots also have
        adjustable forward lean. Something we may want in wake board bindings
        On my snowboard I found I like wedges that push my knees together a bit.
        You could try wedges that both lift your heels and cant them in a bit.
        Remember your toeside performance will suffer!

        fishersfort@... wrote:

        > Wow, that Ken Winner is one clever dude. I heard about another trick
        > he is using. He put NSI ramped heel pads under his wakeboard
        > bindings. It ramps his heels up for insane edging. I plan to try the
        > trick myself.
        >
        > Dwight
        >

        > --- In kitesurf@y..., "Bart van Oers" <B.J.vanOers@s...> wrote:
        >
        >>Hi Jeff,
        >>
        >>on the North Sails site (www.northkites.com) you can find a press
        >>
        > release about a conversion set for
        >
        >>it's 4 line to fly them on 2 lines.
        >>Perhaps that someone already has seen how this worked...

      • Jeff Quick
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 1, 2001
          Yes I meant AoA (busy day at work today).

          Hmm that may work... this sure would be nice.

          Jeffro

        • fernmanus@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 1, 2001
            Jeffro,

            The 16.4 in 2 line mode - NO WAY! The smallest gust would pull you
            right off your edge. I find that I need the full length of the
            chicken loop (no depower strap) and a short board in order to hold an
            edge and stay upwind during gusts.

            Kenny

            --- In kitesurf@y..., "Jeff Quick" <jquick1@h...> wrote:
            > Yes I meant AoA (busy day at work today).
            >
            > Hmm that may work... this sure would be nice.
            >
            > Jeffro
            >
            > --- In kitesurf@y..., Andre Myburgh <andrem@d...> wrote:
            > > > Would be sweet to have a 16.4, 11.8, 8.4, and 6.3 Airblast in 2
            > line
            > > > mode with a preset A/R.
            > > You mean Angle of Attack (AOA), not A/R. I thought about this
            > myself, but
            > > haven't dared to try it. Wouldn't a long piece bridle line, tied
            > between the
            > > front and back connection points on the kite, with a few knots in
            > the middle
            > > of the line for AOA adjustment work? The result would be a Y
            shaped
            > bridle
            > > on each tip, and if the line is long enough (or if you have a tip
            > spar like
            > > the ARC or North kites), it shouldn't pull the connection point
            > together.
            > > Just guessing here.

            > > > I am tired of worn out equipment, and trim lines which I barely
            > use
            > > > anyway. Also, after 2 loops, the kite is so hard to steer,
            > > > its almost
            > > > dangerous. 2 Line would fix this problem.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks in advance for any info.
            > > >
            > > > Jeffro
            > > >

            > > > This group is sponsored by KiteHIGH.com
            > > > For Kitesurfers by Kitesurfers
            > > >
            > > > http://www.KiteHigh.com
            > > >
            > > > Win Board or Cabrinha Kite sweepstakes on now.
            > > >
            > > > 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA
            > > > 808 579 9849
            > > > Email:support@k...
            > > >
            > > > <<<to unsubscribe send a message to
            > > > kitesurf-unsubscribe@egroups.com>>>
            > > >
            > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            > > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Greg Walsh
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 1, 2001
              The regression continues with Dwight rediscovering low AR kites and
              people no longer using trim straps and chicken loops. Next thing you
              know we'll all be riding foils and c-quads.
            • Brad Wilson
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 1, 2001
                I've done this and it works.

                You need to attach the main lines to the back line attachment points.
                Then attach the bridal line to the front line attachment point on the
                opposite side of the kite. I think the bridal lines should be pretty
                long, about 20 ft. or so. So effectively the front lines are cross-
                bridaled. I use Caution Kites. The kite flew fine. I don't use it
                like this. I prefer 4 line kites.

                Regards, Brad.

              • Tunico Lage
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 1, 2001
                  At 01:14 02/08/01 +0000, you wrote:
                  >The regression continues with Dwight rediscovering low AR kites and
                  >people no longer using trim straps and chicken loops. Next thing you
                  >know we'll all be riding foils and c-quads.

                  Damm...I sold my 98 Wipika 8.5 for peanuts...
                • kitemanic@yahoo.co.uk
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 2, 2001
                    Do you do toeside tricks dwight? cuz wedges under your bindings
                    would make toeside edging even harder...
                    ok lates,
                    DREW

                    --- In kitesurf@y..., fishersfort@a... wrote:
                    > Wow, that Ken Winner is one clever dude. I heard about another
                    trick
                    > he is using. He put NSI ramped heel pads under his wakeboard
                    > bindings. It ramps his heels up for insane edging. I plan to try
                    the
                    > trick myself.
                    >
                    > Dwight
                  • Gurpreet Pandher
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 2, 2001
                      > Wouldn't a long piece bridle line, tied between the
                      >front and back connection points on the kite, with a few knots in the
                      middle
                      >of the line for AOA adjustment work? The result would be a Y shaped bridle
                      >on each tip, and if the line is long enough (or if you have a tip spar like
                      >the ARC or North kites), it shouldn't pull the connection point together.

                      Or why not put a pulley in the V line between the front and back attachment
                      points. This may give you automatic AOA adjustment giving automatic gust
                      handling. However it may give automatic power dumping just as you want to
                      power up. The exact position of the front and back attachment points may be
                      critical in getting the balance right. Thought of trying this a long time
                      ago but haven't tried it yet.

                      Simon.
                    • Dwight & Jacky
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 2, 2001
                        Hey, it takes us average kiters a lot longer to figure it out. If we all lived in Maui, maybe we'd
                        catch on quicker and be riding 2 line sooner.

                        Dwight

                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 2, 2001
                          No

                          > Do you do toeside tricks dwight? cuz wedges under your bindings
                          > would make toeside edging even harder...
                          > ok lates,
                          > DREW
                        • Jeff Quick
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 2, 2001
                            In lighter winds, you need the most effective and efficient kites
                            available. These larger, more efficient kites weren't around back in
                            the day when 2 line was still king. Also, it seemed all of the kite
                            manufacturers were making and testing kites IN and FOR big wind
                            areas...and in BIG WIND, its easier to get away with inefficiencies in
                            kite design, since big wind riders don't experience as much apparent
                            wind effects on their kites, as do lighter wind riders.

                            Remember, 4 line ORIGINALLY came out to control gusts for directional
                            boards that couldn't edge as hard as the sparingly used wakeboards.
                            Only later did people start using this 4 line AoA change for boosting
                            bigger airs, mainly via the "flash style" of riding (which I am NOT
                            knocking, its just a different technique). I find that with a
                            wakeboard, you seriously increase your gust control bigtime (via
                            serious edging), and it pretty much renders the chicken loop useless,
                            as long as you have the kite set at the optimal AoA. Since you can
                            edge even harder, you can boost close to OR as big as the directional
                            riders using chicken loops, or so I've seen. Of course alot of that
                            is rider skill too.

                            I live in a light but steady wind area, so I frequently use the 16.4
                            Airblast, though on a wakeboard. I need the 16.4's increased
                            performance for these lighter winds. I practically never use the trim
                            strap (chicken loop), yet it seems to be one of the prime areas of
                            quick wear out. Also multiple spin jumps damn near render the kites
                            incontrollable with so many twists in the lines, and I've come close
                            to serious wipeouts as a result.

                            Thats why I think alot of 4 liners may migrate back to 2 line, since
                            the technology is here for lighter wind (via the bigger more efficient
                            kites). Two line kites = less setup time, less hassle, less lines to
                            get tangled on land or water, and less things to break. A 4 line kite
                            is still a 2 line kite, only with 2 extra lines to change AoA.

                            For now, since there is no 4 line to 2 line conversion kite out, I am
                            staying 4 line, but going to build and use Lou Wainmains bar set up
                            for 4 liners. I'll also preset each kite at what I feel is the
                            optimal AoA for the bar(s). If a gust hits, I'll do what I usually
                            do, and that is edge like hell. If I still get yanked off my edge,
                            then so be it ;-)

                            Stoked,
                            Jeffro

                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 2, 2001
                              I don't see this locally. For me hooked in jumps feel constipated. I have never seen a local jump
                              higher in the chicken loop, and one of our best kiters always rides in it and he rides very powered
                              all the time on a directional. My jumps became much higher once I mastered my wakeboard and unhooked
                              jumping.

                              During my testing of monster kites I did have trouble jumping high unhooked. The chicken loop worked
                              better for me. I hope that changes with practice on the monster kites. Maybe this is the difference
                              we see between your kiters and ours. Most of our time is spent on 8.9 kites.

                              Dwight