Re: [ksurf] leash line source needed

  • Nik Goodchild
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2001
      I am trying to track down a conversion kit for my 'old style' naish
      bar to convert it to a sliding bar system. Are there any pulley
      systems I can attach to end of the bar to modify my exsisting one? I
      have seen some bars in shops with a plastic attachment on the end for
      this reason. any ideas or do i have to buy an new bar?

      Nik

      --- In kitesurf@y..., "Dwight & Jacky" <fishersfort@a...> wrote:
      > I stopped using the reride leash and switched to this system
      (Wipika style) so I could spin the bar
      > and have both hands free.
      >
      > Dwight
      >

      > > <fishersfort@a...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > Does anybody know a source to buy the rope with a bungee hidden
      > > > inside? This is the rope Naish and Wipika use for their leash
      line.

      > > Since nobody's replied yet, & I don't know a source either, have
      you
      > > considered a "sliding bar" leash system? (since it doesn't
      require a long,
      > > bungeed leash)
      > >
      > > Mel
    • Mel
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2001
        Dwight & Jacky <fishersfort@...> wrote:

        > I stopped using the reride leash and switched to this system (Wipika
        style) so I could spin the bar
        > and have both hands free.

        You can do the same thing with a reride leash to one front line (& then you
        don't need a source for bungeed leash line). Let me know if that doesn't
        make sense & I'll find the links to the file pictures for you.

        Mel
      • Dwight & Jacky
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2001
          I understand now. I'll put a ring and ball stopper near the end of my strap and let that leader
          slide through.

          Thanks,
          Dwight

          > Dwight & Jacky <fishersfort@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I stopped using the reride leash and switched to this system (Wipika
          > style) so I could spin the bar
          > > and have both hands free.
          >
          > You can do the same thing with a reride leash to one front line (& then you
          > don't need a source for bungeed leash line). Let me know if that doesn't
          > make sense & I'll find the links to the file pictures for you.
          >
          > Mel
        • Peter Traykovski
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2001
            What I have used for a leash with the slide through ring system on the front line is the thinnest
            tubular webbing I can find and then thread a bit of bungy inside. It works fine and keeps things
            out of the way. I also don't sleeve my front line and don't use a stopper one wingspan up..it
            seems to stop anyway once the kite has depowered. I hardly ever use this release system so didn't
            see the need for sleeving, but if you use it alot you may want sleeving to protect your hands.

            Dwight & Jacky wrote:

            > I understand now. I'll put a ring and ball stopper near the end of my strap and let that leader
            > slide through.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Dwight
            >
            > > Dwight & Jacky <fishersfort@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > I stopped using the reride leash and switched to this system (Wipika
            > > style) so I could spin the bar
            > > > and have both hands free.
            > >
            > > You can do the same thing with a reride leash to one front line (& then you
            > > don't need a source for bungeed leash line). Let me know if that doesn't
            > > make sense & I'll find the links to the file pictures for you.
            > >
            > > Mel
            >
            > This group is sponsored by KiteHIGH.com
            > For Kitesurfers by Kitesurfers
            >
            > http://www.KiteHigh.com
            >
            > Win Board or Cabrinha Kite sweepstakes on now.
            >
            > 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA
            > 808 579 9849
            > Email:support@...

            Peter Traykovski
            Applied Ocean Physics & Engineering Dept.
            MS#11, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
            Woods Hole, MA 02543
            ptraykovski@... (508)-289-2638
            http://penguin.whoi.edu
          • Roland Andrag
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2001
              Having twice now had the stopper on the line in my pull-through leash system
              wrapping around the other three lines and make a tangle of my Q-line (would
              you believe it??! "Ten times as resistant to tangles" :-), I'm getting ready
              to remove it. What happens is that especially when launching, the front line
              with the stopper gets a sudden tug, and 'slingshots' the stopper which then
              ends up twisting in semi-random fashion around the other three lines. Sounds
              easy and quick to detangle, but I've actually had to detach the kite one of
              the two times... Not fun when the wind is dropping and you're seeing your
              remaining 45 minutes of sailing time getting eaten up by tangles.

              The stopper I use is a poly-ethylene plastic stopper.

              Note: I've previously had the rig without a stopper, and found the ring
              tends to slide all the way up to the kite when you release.

              Roland

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              > --
              > Peter Traykovski
              > Applied Ocean Physics & Engineering Dept.
              > MS#11, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
              > Woods Hole, MA 02543
              > ptraykovski@... (508)-289-2638
              > http://penguin.whoi.edu
              >

              > This group is sponsored by KiteHIGH.com
              > For Kitesurfers by Kitesurfers
              >
              > http://www.KiteHigh.com
              >
              > Win Board or Cabrinha Kite sweepstakes on now.
              >
              > 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA
              > 808 579 9849
              > Email:support@...

            • Mel
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2, 2001
                Dwight & Jacky <fishersfort@...> wrote:

                To: Mel <kitebord@...>
                > Oops, now I think it won't work. I like to jump unhooked, so I need the
                extra long stretchiness to
                > keep the kite from steering when I put my arms up.

                No problem. A frontline-to-harness reride leash will still work.
                There are at least two solutions:
                1) get or make a short-but-extendable SlingShot "bungee inside webbing"
                kiteleash* (I don't know if NSI has switched to metal clips yet),
                2) just use a plain line that's barely long enough, since it's really not
                much longer than when you're riding hooked in, so it dangles surprisingly
                little, & since it's held up at the spreader it never gets in the way of
                hooking in.
                *item "C" at http://murrays.com/archive/86-87.pdf It's kind of expensive,
                because it comes with a wrist cuff that you won't likely use & a pair of
                long Spectra leaders, but it has nice brass clips on BOTH ends, & you can
                extend the length if needed (while retaining the stretchiness) by just
                adding a length of plain leader line.

                We sell them set up with the SlingShot leash, but when I used this system I
                just used plain line & it worked fine.

                Mel