Re: [ksurf] leash line source needed

  • Dwight & Jacky
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2001
      I stopped using the reride leash and switched to this system (Wipika style) so I could spin the bar
      and have both hands free.

      Dwight

      > <fishersfort@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Does anybody know a source to buy the rope with a bungee hidden
      > > inside? This is the rope Naish and Wipika use for their leash line.
      >
      > Since nobody's replied yet, & I don't know a source either, have you
      > considered a "sliding bar" leash system? (since it doesn't require a long,
      > bungeed leash)
      >
      > Mel
    • Nik Goodchild
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2001
        I am trying to track down a conversion kit for my 'old style' naish
        bar to convert it to a sliding bar system. Are there any pulley
        systems I can attach to end of the bar to modify my exsisting one? I
        have seen some bars in shops with a plastic attachment on the end for
        this reason. any ideas or do i have to buy an new bar?

        Nik

        --- In kitesurf@y..., "Dwight & Jacky" <fishersfort@a...> wrote:
        > I stopped using the reride leash and switched to this system
        (Wipika style) so I could spin the bar
        > and have both hands free.
        >
        > Dwight
        >

        > > <fishersfort@a...> wrote:
        > >
        > > > Does anybody know a source to buy the rope with a bungee hidden
        > > > inside? This is the rope Naish and Wipika use for their leash
        line.

        > > Since nobody's replied yet, & I don't know a source either, have
        you
        > > considered a "sliding bar" leash system? (since it doesn't
        require a long,
        > > bungeed leash)
        > >
        > > Mel
      • Mel
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2001
          Dwight & Jacky <fishersfort@...> wrote:

          > I stopped using the reride leash and switched to this system (Wipika
          style) so I could spin the bar
          > and have both hands free.

          You can do the same thing with a reride leash to one front line (& then you
          don't need a source for bungeed leash line). Let me know if that doesn't
          make sense & I'll find the links to the file pictures for you.

          Mel
        • Dwight & Jacky
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2001
            I understand now. I'll put a ring and ball stopper near the end of my strap and let that leader
            slide through.

            Thanks,
            Dwight

            > Dwight & Jacky <fishersfort@...> wrote:
            >
            > > I stopped using the reride leash and switched to this system (Wipika
            > style) so I could spin the bar
            > > and have both hands free.
            >
            > You can do the same thing with a reride leash to one front line (& then you
            > don't need a source for bungeed leash line). Let me know if that doesn't
            > make sense & I'll find the links to the file pictures for you.
            >
            > Mel
          • Peter Traykovski
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2001
              What I have used for a leash with the slide through ring system on the front line is the thinnest
              tubular webbing I can find and then thread a bit of bungy inside. It works fine and keeps things
              out of the way. I also don't sleeve my front line and don't use a stopper one wingspan up..it
              seems to stop anyway once the kite has depowered. I hardly ever use this release system so didn't
              see the need for sleeving, but if you use it alot you may want sleeving to protect your hands.

              Dwight & Jacky wrote:

              > I understand now. I'll put a ring and ball stopper near the end of my strap and let that leader
              > slide through.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Dwight
              >
              > > Dwight & Jacky <fishersfort@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > I stopped using the reride leash and switched to this system (Wipika
              > > style) so I could spin the bar
              > > > and have both hands free.
              > >
              > > You can do the same thing with a reride leash to one front line (& then you
              > > don't need a source for bungeed leash line). Let me know if that doesn't
              > > make sense & I'll find the links to the file pictures for you.
              > >
              > > Mel
              >
              > This group is sponsored by KiteHIGH.com
              > For Kitesurfers by Kitesurfers
              >
              > http://www.KiteHigh.com
              >
              > Win Board or Cabrinha Kite sweepstakes on now.
              >
              > 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA
              > 808 579 9849
              > Email:support@...

              Peter Traykovski
              Applied Ocean Physics & Engineering Dept.
              MS#11, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
              Woods Hole, MA 02543
              ptraykovski@... (508)-289-2638
              http://penguin.whoi.edu
            • Roland Andrag
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2, 2001
                Having twice now had the stopper on the line in my pull-through leash system
                wrapping around the other three lines and make a tangle of my Q-line (would
                you believe it??! "Ten times as resistant to tangles" :-), I'm getting ready
                to remove it. What happens is that especially when launching, the front line
                with the stopper gets a sudden tug, and 'slingshots' the stopper which then
                ends up twisting in semi-random fashion around the other three lines. Sounds
                easy and quick to detangle, but I've actually had to detach the kite one of
                the two times... Not fun when the wind is dropping and you're seeing your
                remaining 45 minutes of sailing time getting eaten up by tangles.

                The stopper I use is a poly-ethylene plastic stopper.

                Note: I've previously had the rig without a stopper, and found the ring
                tends to slide all the way up to the kite when you release.

                Roland

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                > --
                > Peter Traykovski
                > Applied Ocean Physics & Engineering Dept.
                > MS#11, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
                > Woods Hole, MA 02543
                > ptraykovski@... (508)-289-2638
                > http://penguin.whoi.edu
                >

                > This group is sponsored by KiteHIGH.com
                > For Kitesurfers by Kitesurfers
                >
                > http://www.KiteHigh.com
                >
                > Win Board or Cabrinha Kite sweepstakes on now.
                >
                > 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA
                > 808 579 9849
                > Email:support@...

              • Mel
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 2, 2001
                  Dwight & Jacky <fishersfort@...> wrote:

                  To: Mel <kitebord@...>
                  > Oops, now I think it won't work. I like to jump unhooked, so I need the
                  extra long stretchiness to
                  > keep the kite from steering when I put my arms up.

                  No problem. A frontline-to-harness reride leash will still work.
                  There are at least two solutions:
                  1) get or make a short-but-extendable SlingShot "bungee inside webbing"
                  kiteleash* (I don't know if NSI has switched to metal clips yet),
                  2) just use a plain line that's barely long enough, since it's really not
                  much longer than when you're riding hooked in, so it dangles surprisingly
                  little, & since it's held up at the spreader it never gets in the way of
                  hooking in.
                  *item "C" at http://murrays.com/archive/86-87.pdf It's kind of expensive,
                  because it comes with a wrist cuff that you won't likely use & a pair of
                  long Spectra leaders, but it has nice brass clips on BOTH ends, & you can
                  extend the length if needed (while retaining the stretchiness) by just
                  adding a length of plain leader line.

                  We sell them set up with the SlingShot leash, but when I used this system I
                  just used plain line & it worked fine.

                  Mel