Re: [ksurf] Rules (was Wipika Bridle set up for 8.5)

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31, 2001
      Tunico Lage <alage@...> wrote:

      > Acording to sailing rules, the one who has his right hand forward has the
      > right of way, the one who has his left hand forward has to pass downwind

      That's nearly correct, but not quite, & it may SEEM like an insignificant
      difference, but it really is an important detail: The one on starboard tack
      (right hand forward) is actually required to MAINTAIN HIS COURSE, and the
      other is required to avoid him (downwind OR upwind, or even jibe & go back).
      Here's one time when that detail can be important: Being on starboard tack
      does NOT give you the right to round up (alter course upwind) to try to pass
      upwind of an approaching port-tack rider. If the port tack rider has room
      to round up & pass safely upwind of you, he's well within his rights to do
      so, & you'd be in the wrong to alter course to try to "help" him pass
      downwind.

      I mention this because back when I windsurfed I upset some people when I was
      on port & rounded up to pass upwind of them, but nearly collided because
      they altered their course to try to pass upwind of me. They got upset
      because they thought they had the right to pass upwind & I was required to
      pass downwind. In reality, they only had the right to maintain course, & I
      was only required to avoid them (which I still ended up doing).

      That said, the safest thing to do if you're on starboard, & the approaching
      rider doesn't make his intentions clear, is ROUND UP. Then if he doesn't
      bear off, ROUND UP MORE. If he STILL doesn't bear off, ROUND UP EVEN MORE.
      The reason for this is that while you may be approaching a collision, at
      least you'll be slowing down (visualize the reverse situation: bearing off
      until you finally collide at full speed!)

      Mel