RE: ARC 630 Wedging was Re: [ksurf] Arc 630 FOR SALE

  • Kitepower
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 31 3:04 PM
      I got an e-mail recently from the Lach dude who is now working in NZ for
      Peter Lynn. In it he stated that they do wedge the 630, but by a lesser
      amount. I believe it gives the kite similar sheeting range as the current
      inflatables, as well as other minor benefits!
      Cya and
      Goodwinds
      Steve McCormack
      www.kitepower.com.au
      sydney@...
      126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
      Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
      Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
      geelong@...

      Subject: ARC 630 Wedging was Re: [ksurf] Arc 630 FOR SALE

      Are the 630's going to be wedged?????
      I thought only the 840's 1120's and the new 1500 would be wedged.
      What would the advantages of wedging the smaller kites be, I don't
      think anyone has ever complained about the 630 being not responsive
      enough.

      Stuart Mitchell
      N.Z

      > Hi Jason
      > I only posted our new kite price to let you know that you will be
      unlikely
      > to sell it at near new price especially if it is not wedged, we
      will wedge
      > your kite for $95, I hope it has not caused you any problems.
      > All the Arcs will be wedged soon, everything I order from NZ is
      wedged, but
      > the factory in China is only just starting to produce the wedged
      Arcs, they
      > will be easy to tell apart as the centre panel will be wedge shaped
      on the
      > production models.
      > The Arcs coming from NZ at the moment are being wedged in NZ and
      may not
      > look as clean as the production ones that will come from China in a
      month or
      > so.
      > I know that they are refining the 1500 Arc now, but I have not been
      told
      > when it will be available.
      > Cya and
      > Goodwinds
      > Steve McCormack
      > www.kitepower.com.au
      > sydney@k...
      > 126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
      > Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
      > Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
      > geelong@k...
      >

      > Subject: Re: [ksurf] Arc 630 FOR SALE
      >

      > Hi Steve,
      > Is this kite 'wedged' by the manufacturer or has is it an
      aftermarket
      > modification? Just interested to know if PL have started producing
      > their kites in the wedged mode. Do you happen to know when the Arc
      > 1500 is due to be released?
      > Jason.
      >
      > --- In kitesurf@y..., "Kitepower" <kitepower@b...> wrote:
      > > G'day
      > > Were you aware that the retail price of that kite from Kitepower
      is
      > $1049
      > > for a brand new latest wedged version, complete with lines bar bag
      > etc.

      This group is sponsored by KiteHIGH.com
      For Kitesurfers by Kitesurfers

      http://www.KiteHigh.com

      Win Board or Cabrinha Kite sweepstakes on now.

      1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA
      808 579 9849
      Email:support@...

    • Mel
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 31 4:07 PM
        <kitesurf@...> wrote:

        > Are the 630's going to be wedged?????

        I'm having mine wedged, & will report the results.

        > What would the advantages of wedging the smaller kites be, I don't
        > think anyone has ever complained about the 630 being not responsive
        > enough.

        Even I found the 630 plenty responsive (although strangely stable - usually
        mutually exclusive characteristics), but the reason I stopped using it is
        that it doesn't have enough sheeting range to handle the extreme gustiness &
        broad wind range we have here.

        Our launching/landing area is even gustier than the water, & there are big,
        jagged rocks close downwind, so it's very nice to be able to go out with an
        inflatable in 10 knots, & not have to come in overpowered when it builds to
        25. It's frequently gusting from 10-20 on the water, so it's nice to be
        able to sheet an inflatable in & out to cover that range. Hopefully a
        sufficiently wedged 630 will have the same range as a 7.5AR5 or 8.9 RRD
        (those both have about the same wind range). It would be even better if I
        could wedge an 840 so much that I could handle 25 even with it, since then
        I'd gain more low end too (stock 630 has a little less low end power than
        the 7.5 or 8.9).

        AND Kitepower <kitepower@...> wrote:

        > I got an e-mail recently from the Lach dude

        I did too, & was informed that "Lach dude" is considered derogatory. I
        apologized, & explained that here in California "dude" is more likely to be
        complimentary (as in "He's a cool dude"), but we might want to just start
        calling him Lachlan again.

        > In it he stated that they do wedge the 630, but by a lesser
        > amount.

        He suggested 120mm for an 1120, going down 20mm per size (100 for an 840, 80
        for a 630, etc.). However he also reported that somebody had wedged an 1120
        by 300mm (!) and that it increased the depowering range even more, AND gave
        higher jumps (although less floaty). Based on that I decided to have our
        repair expert ADD a 120mm wedge of cloth to the TRAILING edge ("reverse"
        wedging) on one side of the center cell, & if that works well, I'll have him
        add another to the other side of the center cell too. If that's too much, I
        can have him "wedge the wedge" by just sewing a fold in one of the wedges
        he's added.

        Mel
      • Colin Gowland
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 31 4:09 PM
          <snip>
          > Our launching/landing area is even gustier than the water, & there are
          big,
          > jagged rocks close downwind, so it's very nice to be able to go out with
          an
          > inflatable in 10 knots, & not have to come in overpowered when it builds
          > 25. It's frequently gusting from 10-20 on the water, so it's nice to be
          > able to sheet an inflatable in & out to cover that range. Hopefully a
          > sufficiently wedged 630 will have the same range as a 7.5AR5 or 8.9 RRD
          > (those both have about the same wind range). It would be even better if I
          > could wedge an 840 so much that I could handle 25 even with it, since then
          > I'd gain more low end too (stock 630 has a little less low end power than
          > the 7.5 or 8.9).
          <snip>

          Hey Mel,

          If you go with a wake or wakestyle kiteboard, you'll be able to handle a
          stock 840 in 25 knots and a wedged 840 in 25 knots easily. If we're talking
          MPH here, then you should be able to handle a wedged 840 in 25 MPH with your
          directional. I can use the stock 840 at it's top end around 25 kn. with a
          Liquid Force 142. My wedged one is on the way and I'm giving the 1120 with
          flares and 100mm wedge a shot tomorrow in around 10-20 kn. I weigh 145 lbs.

          Colin
        • Mel
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 31 5:17 PM
            Colin Gowland <colin-gowland@...> wrote:

            > Hey Mel,
            >
            > If you go with a wake or wakestyle kiteboard, you'll be able to handle a
            > stock 840 in 25 knots and a wedged 840 in 25 knots easily.

            Thanks for the advice, & while I'm sure you'd be correct in normal
            circumstances, I doubt it in my case, for a number of reasons:
            1) I'm only about 62kg (136 lbs). Although I just read below that you're
            only about 10lbs more.
            2) It's SO gusty on shore & the first few hundred feet of water, that even
            an ARC will luff, & requires attention to keep it stable (can't just hook
            into the front lines & ignore it while entering bindings).
            3) I need a board that will also keep me going in the 10 knot lulls & 10
            knot days, which can still suddenly become 25.
            4) I can't handle the required "back leg severely bent" stance, since my
            knees are too screwed up from cycling all my life in too high a gear, &
            windsurfing 10 years with the straps too far forward (the 5 years prior I
            wasn't in straps & the 5 years after I'd figured it out & got aft inserts
            installed).
            5) I greatly prefer directional characteristics for jibing (& jumping,
            although they may be equal with sufficient practice).

            > If we're talking
            > MPH here, then you should be able to handle a wedged 840 in 25 MPH with
            your
            > directional.

            I'm actually talking knots, but I still hope a sufficiently wedged 840 will
            work for me on my directional in 25 KNOTS. That would be even more range
            than an inflatable, & would then be superior.

            > I can use the stock 840 at it's top end around 25 kn. with a
            > Liquid Force 142. My wedged one is on the way and I'm giving the 1120
            with
            > flares and 100mm wedge a shot tomorrow in around 10-20 kn. I weigh 145 lb.

            Okay, but can you stay up in 10 knot lulls on the 840/142? (since you're a
            little heavier, it would likely be okay for me in 10 knots if you can even
            do 12).

            Mel
          • Kitepower
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 31 5:28 PM
              G'day Mel Dude

              I'm probably just imagining that you seem to like to correct(even minute
              details) anyone else who posts regularly a lot of useful info (like me -
              Steve Dude).?
              group, he was the one who started calling himself "The Lach Dude".
              The reason I refer to him that way is so that people recognise it is him,
              not some other Lach or Lachlan!
              When Lachlan tells me to not refer to him that way anymore then he is the
              one I will listen too, but thanks for sharing.
              The prize you will definitely win on this newsgroup is most excessive
              poster.
              As far as I am concerned, you win, you are always right, and I am not in any
              competition with you.
              I hope they find a cure for detailitis one day ;-)

              Cya and
              Goodwinds
              Steve McCormack
              www.kitepower.com.au
              open 7 days
              126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
              Phone +61293157894

              Subject: Re: ARC 630 Wedging was Re: [ksurf] Arc 630 FOR SALE

            • jmullmd@home.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 31 6:12 PM
                McC Dude,

                You always (what I meant to say was "nearly always") crack me up.

                Agreed on our friend who introduced himself to us as "The Lach Dude"
                and still has (helpful) files as such...

                Mel should keep being Mel, even if this includes excessive energy spent
                correcting all of us. Otherwise he could gain 10kg, and by his
                (actually Hung Vu's) own formula, would need a new kite of a projected
                area 72/62 times as big (assuming no change in aspect ratio of course)
                and this would be quite costly.

                Detailitis cannot be cured, as all those who seek to find cures have
                this affliction and think it is an asset ;-)

                Cheers,

                The Mull Dude