Re: [ksurf] Recovering your board after you lose it

  • Peter Traykovski
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2001
      Fly the kite low..about 10- 20 feet above the water. this gives you the best
      angle as little lift is wasted in the vertical direction. The put one hand
      out in front side stroke style (the lower one) and turn your body on its side
      with legs straight to maximize your "edging" and minimize your drag. Use your
      other hand to hold the bar and control the kite. Try to point your free arm
      about 20-30 degrees higher upwind than the direction your kite is pulling and
      you will body drag upwind. If you are flying a 4-line inflatable let the bar
      out to depower it a bit so it flys as far as possible forward into the wind
      window. This technique has worked for me in both light and heavy conditions.
      Usually takes about one reach 50-80' away then back to get even with a loose
      board again with the board starting about 20-30' upwind. I have also used it
      with the board up against my body (sort held on edge) to get back and a
      little upwind in winds that were too light to ride.

      -Peter

      dlent@... wrote:

      > Hey all,
      > I don't want to revive the "leash or not to leash" debate but in the
      > past month I've twice had leash failure (once my fault, didn't have
      > the reel leash velcro properly attached, the second, a combination,
      > a drag after a bad landing and then the little black attachment to
      > the bungee broke) and both times I was unable to get back upwind
      > to get the board. One time I was really superpowered up and the
      > other time I was comfortably powered. Parking the kite at the top
      > of the window slowly dragged me farther and farther downwind
      > away from the board. Parking it about 45 degrees pulled me
      > downwind and away from the path of the free board. Waiting for the
      > board to drift into the shore is not a viable option because often the
      > wind is sideshore and it takes too friggin long. Is there a way to
      > body drag upwind? Lately we've had a rash of board losses from
      > seperations such as these (one dude is still looking for his almost
      > new F-One TT) so any ideas are appreciated. So far I've been
      > lucky in that my board was rescued by a kitesurfer one time and a
      > windsurfer the other.
      > Thanx,
      > Dennis
      > P.S. For a twintip the reel leash is excellent, though the brass
      > connector has a tendency to smack the deck. Anybody replaced
      > the brass or coated it with a substance to dampen the smack?
      >
      > This group is sponsored by KiteHIGH.com
      > For Kitesurfers by Kitesurfers
      >
      > http://www.KiteHigh.com
      >
      > Win Board or Cabrinha Kite sweepstakes on now.
      >
      > 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA
      > 808 579 9849
      > Email:support@...

      Peter Traykovski
      Applied Ocean Physics & Engineering Dept.
      MS#11, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
      Woods Hole, MA 02543
      ptraykovski@... (508)-289-2638
      http://penguin.whoi.edu
    • Conley, Robert
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31, 2001
        Hello,

        As long as we are on the subject, here is a warning to owners of the Da
        Kine Directional Kite Leash. On Sunday, under normal conditions, and on
        one average fall, the leash failed. The spliced portion of the 5/16 in.
        line snapped right at the intersection of the long plastic tubing and
        the short plastic tubing loop. The line snapped right in the middle of
        the splice. For owners of this leash system, you may want to consider
        beefing up your that line or buying the same line and tying a knot with
        better tensile strength than the splice.

        As far as retrieving the board went, it took awhile to get to it, but
        the "bodysurfing" method with one arm outstreched (featured in the
        "Boost" video series) seemed to work rather well. The trick was: never
        place the kite in the power zone. Keep it around the power perimeter
        when you switch body dragging directions. This worked in a medium blow,
        but may not work in light conditions.

        There's 2 cents for ya.

        Anyone tried that reel leash mechanism from NSI, that looks like a
        foofoo dog leash on steroids?

        -Rob

[...]

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Van de Mosselaer Jef
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1 8:58 AM
          Bodydragging upwind is possible. I have done it a couple of times. However
          there are a lot more occasions where I was not able to bodydrag upwind. I
          guess it is a combination of power, kiteflying skills, whether the current
          is cooperating or not, etc... I do not rely on it and always use a leash.

          Jef