Re: [ksurf] Storing kites and bladder problems

  • Peter Traykovski
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 27, 2001
      Maybe it's your lawn! the dune grass here is sharp enough to cut holes in
      bladders even through the casing material. hard to believe but true. People
      learn quickly not crash or even land kites on the dune grass. Maybe when you
      roll up your kite after your test on your lawn you are damaging it???? Try
      rolling it without pushing on the grass! Maybe your lawn is soft and this is
      total bs. Kites that are damaged by dune grass have exaclty what you
      describe..lots of tiny holes....I know this because I learned the hard way.

      -Peter

      kitesurfmn@... wrote:

      > I am having nothing but trouble with bladders in my 12.2 BT. I will
      > make bladder repairs re-install the repaired bladders and then
      > inflate the kite to test. The kite will stay inflated on my lawn for
      > 3-4 hours as a test. Everything seems fine.
      >
      > The next day I go to the beach and take the kite out of the bag. I
      > pump it up and it goes flat before I can even get my harness on and
      > my board out of the trunk. What is going on?????? Upon inspection
      > (again) there are lots (6-8) of new holes in all the bladders,
      > leading edge and battens. The holes are not just in the seams, but
      > are all over the place. I have been through 4 sets of bladders
      > including the original set in the kite, and have ended up with the
      > same frustrating scenario every time. I have even taken a shop vac to
      > the inside of the casings to be sure there is no debris in the kite.
      >
      > There has been some discussion about the bladders being a very thin
      > material. Some people see this as an advantage. It looks to me like
      > the bladders are having small holes torn in them simply by deflating
      > the kite and rolling it small enough to fit in its bag. Can this
      > really be the case?
      >
      > I am rolling the deflated kite in from the two ends in to the center
      > batten. Then I fold the rolled kite to put it in the bag. Any
      > problems here?
      >
      > I am at a total loss.
      >
      > This group is sponsored by KiteHIGH.com
      > For Kitesurfers by Kitesurfers
      >
      > http://www.KiteHigh.com
      >
      > Win Board or Cabrinha Kite sweepstakes on now.
      >
      > 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA
      > 808 579 9849
      > Email:support@...

      Peter Traykovski
      Applied Ocean Physics & Engineering Dept.
      MS#11, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
      Woods Hole, MA 02543
      ptraykovski@... (508)-289-2638
      http://penguin.whoi.edu
    • David San
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 28, 2001
        --- Peter Traykovski <ptraykovski@...> wrote:
> [...]
        > kitesurf-unsubscribe@egroups.com>>>
        > >
        > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        >
        > --
        > Peter Traykovski
        > Applied Ocean Physics & Engineering Dept.
        > MS#11, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
        > Woods Hole, MA 02543
        > ptraykovski@... (508)-289-2638
        > http://penguin.whoi.edu
        >

        > This group is sponsored by KiteHIGH.com
        > For Kitesurfers by Kitesurfers
        >
        > http://www.KiteHigh.com
        >
        > Win Board or Cabrinha Kite sweepstakes on now.
        >
        > 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA
        > 808 579 9849
        > Email:support@...
        >
        > <<<to unsubscribe send a message to
        > kitesurf-unsubscribe@egroups.com>>>
        >
        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        >
        > I have the same problem with BT 9.4 7.0 there are
        small leaks,seams split,all of the valves just peeled
        off!!! is there a new bladder much more durable and
        could other brands fit the BLACK TIPS?

        http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
      • Brian Erickson
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1 12:14 PM
          I just finished fixing 15 new holes in my 12.2 Black Tip. I'm
          getting really good at this. The holes are now showing up at the
          tips where the bladder is welded to the fabric. Obviously a defect
          in the welding techinique there. The holes I get vary from tiny
          holes to small slits. I fly the same beach with a guy on a Wipika
          and he doesn't have the same problem. hmmm?

          --- In kitesurf@y..., David San <dsa_96929@y...> wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > > --
          > > Peter Traykovski
          > > Applied Ocean Physics & Engineering Dept.
          > > MS#11, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
          > > Woods Hole, MA 02543
          > > ptraykovski@w... (508)-289-2638
          > > http://penguin.whoi.edu
          > >

          > > This group is sponsored by KiteHIGH.com
          > > For Kitesurfers by Kitesurfers
          > >
          > > http://www.KiteHigh.com
          > >
          > > Win Board or Cabrinha Kite sweepstakes on now.
          > >
          > > 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA
          > > 808 579 9849
          > > Email:support@k...
          > >
          > > <<<to unsubscribe send a message to
          > > kitesurf-unsubscribe@egroups.com>>>
          > >
          > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          > >
          > > I have the same problem with BT 9.4 7.0 there are
          > small leaks,seams split,all of the valves just peeled
          > off!!! is there a new bladder much more durable and

          Messenger
        • iclimbtrees@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1 2:23 PM
            When rolling up your kite do you fold it in half after rolling it up
            to get it to fit in the bag(zipped up)? I have been having better
            luck than the rest of the black tip flyers by just rolling it up
            after deflating it. The bag is unzipped and extended. I was
            thinking that the less I have to fold the kite the less wear on the
            struts. Hope this help a bit, An I have been told that thicker
            bladders are on their way to the distributors as I am writing this.
            They are a waranty repalcement or something like that(no charge).
            Ask your distributor, or retailer.
            cheers
            mika

          • piacenza1@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 3 6:14 AM
              erik...the best way to...get yourself an arc and forget about the
              bladers.
              they are great.
              G.J.
            • JeffSchilling@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 26 1:27 PM
                Are the holes in the actual bladder? I have 8 pin holes in the
                leading edge fabric after only 3 sessions( I guess from the grass and
                stickers). I guess i will have to get a tarp to place under my kite
                while i rig up. Anyways what should i do to repair these timy holes?
                Thanks in advance, Jeff Schilling

              • Brian Erickson
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 2, 2001
                  I'd get back to your kite shop and ask for new bladders. Cabrinha
                  had some major problems with a batch of bladders and you must have
                  been one of the lucky guys. I'm on my third set now that Cabrinha
                  has replaced for free. The last set looks much better, the material
                  is much more puncture resistant and the seams look great! Make it
                  out two sessions now without any problems whereas before I'd have
                  leaks after one hour.
                  Brian