Best place to kitesurf!

  • Hung Vu
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 26, 2001
      From http://www.surfasia.com/vietnam/index.html it sounds like Phan
      Thiet is one of the best place to kitesurf ("From November to May, the
      wind blows from N-NE often 25 knots, sometimes up to 40. The rest of the
      year is S-SW 15 knots sometimes 25"). N-NE and S-SW are side-shore winds
      at Phan Thiet.

      As far as I can remember when I was a kid, Phan Thiet has the best
      warm-water, wide, long, empty beach in the world (as you can see in some
      of the pictures)

      I am thinking of forgetting about my career, kiteskiing and go there to
      start a kitesurfing club/school! Will you guys come?

      Hung.
    • David
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 27, 2001
        Will the Mekong become the "gorge" of Indochine ?
        I'll go kite Nam seasonally. What a rush !! There
        could be a lotta naturals with the kite thing and
        all going on...

      • jmullmd@home.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 27, 2001
          --- In kitesurf@y..., Hung Vu <hungvu@n...> wrote:
          > As far as I can remember when I was a kid, Phan Thiet has the best
          > warm-water, wide, long, empty beach in the world (as you can see in some
          > of the pictures)
          > I am thinking of forgetting about my career, kiteskiing and go there to start a kitesurfing club/school! Will you guys come?
          > Hung.

          Hung...
          Sounds great, but I've got a job, family, commitments, plans,
          roots...oh what the hell, when do we leave? John
        • Kinsley@XtremeBigAir.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 27, 2001
            John,
            Better put in request for vacation soon my friend. We need to upgrade
            you to KLS level 3 anyway.

            I have news for you and Hung and everyone: I am working on setting up
            Xtreme Big Air Kitesurfing VietNam Xpedition for December 2001.
            December 30 is fullmoon so a week before and a week after will forsure
            get us some great wind at Phan Thiet. Ofcourse we will celebrate new
            year 2002 there.

            Anyway, I am going to invite other friends from the major magazine
            such as STANCE or Kiteboarding.de ...

            If this does not work out, we will have the Xpedition to Grenadines as
            the wind also great during December.

            Go Xtreme,
            Kinsley Wong
            http://XtremeBigAir.com

          • hungvu@netcom.ca
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 27, 2001
              John, Kinsley and everyone else,

              Sound very good Kinsley!

              I still have a few emails and phone calls to make before making the
              final plan.

              If things are OK as planned, I will likely make a trip to Phan Thiet
              the end of the year or early next year to check out the condition and
              explore the feasibility of turning this area into a "kitesurfing
              paradise" with resorts/clubs/schools etc. Vitenamese people love
              kites and kitesurfers will be more than welcome there.

              Anyone interested in this project please email me.

              Hung.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 27, 2001
                Everything is right near Saigon! The kite/paraglider factory, good
                food, great beach, good wind...
                I will keep everyone updated about our upcoming xpedition trip there..

                Go Xtreme,
                Kinsley Wong
                http://XtremeBigAir.com

              • Kitepower
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 27, 2001
                  NOT Sydney/NSW today unless you have a death wish, strongest gust so far,
                  recorded at Kurnell in Botany Bay was 43knots SW, it's going to be a busy
                  weekend for repairs. I just hope everyone is careful and sensible on Botany
                  Bay and the other spots where the desperate ones try to have a go.
                  Weather is forecast to worsen over today, up to 60 knots is predicted - see
                  the report below.

                  Synoptic Situation
                  A 994 hPa low is located approximately 120 nautical miles east of
                  Newcastle.
                  Warning
                  Storm Warning south of Port Macquarie:
                  S/SW winds 35/45 knots reaching 50/60 knots at times.
                  Seas 4 to 6 metres rising to 9 to 14 metres at times. Swell increasing to
                  3 metres

                  Gale Warning between Port Macquarie and Wooli:
                  S/SW winds 25/35 knots winds increasing to 35/45 knots at times.
                  In squalls, winds may reach storm force.
                  Seas 2 to 4 metres reaching 4 to 6 metres at times. Swell increasing to 3
                  metres.

                  Strong Wind Warning north of Wooli:
                  W/SW winds 25/33 knots chiefly in the south..
                  Seas rising to 3 to 4 metres. Swell 2 to 3 metres.

                  Ahh, I love the sound of wind howling in the morning
                  Cya and
                  Goodwinds
                  Steve McCormack
                  www.kitepower.com.au
                  sydney@...
                  126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
                  Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
                  Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
                  geelong@...
                • kitesrfer@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 27, 2001
                    Steve,

                    I second that! High winds can be fun and a challenge, until you get caught
                    by a sudden, really high gust, are hooked in or maybe not and go flying into
                    something hard. It doesn't happen everyday but for guys that go out in the
                    squally stuff, it happens often enough to make a difference. It is hard to
                    sit on the beach when the high squall winds come but if you are in it for the
                    long haul, it is a good idea to wait until stable, managable winds return.

                    Fly safe,
                    Rick

                  • dave@machelp.com.au
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 28, 2001
                      Yes it's all of that and more south of Sydney. We've got huge seas,
                      wind so strong that you can't open your car door against it, trees and
                      branches falling all round the streets and that's just in the lulls.
                      Had to make sure that the dog was on a leash otherwise he'd be blown
                      away!

                      Even Drew hasn't gone out, though I'm sure it would be a thrill with
                      the blade in 60 knots.

                      This is real Southern Hemisphere wind, not the FAKE, INFERIOR, COPY
                      wind that you find in the northern hemisphere.

                      Anyway gotta go and lash the house down and remove anything that could
                      get blown about the yard like cars and engine blocks.

                      Hangin' onto everything, Dave, (Dr Surf Australia COM)

                      > NOT Sydney/NSW today unless you have a death wish, strongest gust so far,
                      > recorded at Kurnell in Botany Bay was 43knots SW, it's going to be a busy
                      > weekend for repairs. I just hope everyone is careful and sensible on Botany
                      > Bay and the other spots where the desperate ones try to have a go.
                      > Weather is forecast to worsen over today, up to 60 knots is predicted - see
                      > the report below.
                      >
                      > Synoptic Situation
                      > A 994 hPa low is located approximately 120 nautical miles east of
                      > Newcastle.
                      > Warning
                      > Storm Warning south of Port Macquarie:
                      > S/SW winds 35/45 knots reaching 50/60 knots at times.
                      > Seas 4 to 6 metres rising to 9 to 14 metres at times. Swell increasing to
                      > 3 metres
                      >
                      > Gale Warning between Port Macquarie and Wooli:
                      > S/SW winds 25/35 knots winds increasing to 35/45 knots at times.
                      > In squalls, winds may reach storm force.
                      > Seas 2 to 4 metres reaching 4 to 6 metres at times. Swell increasing to 3
                      > metres.
                      >
                      > Strong Wind Warning north of Wooli:
                      > W/SW winds 25/33 knots chiefly in the south..
                      > Seas rising to 3 to 4 metres. Swell 2 to 3 metres.
                      >
                      > Ahh, I love the sound of wind howling in the morning
                      > Cya and
                      > Goodwinds
                      > Steve McCormack
                      > www.kitepower.com.au
                      > sydney@k...
                      > 126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
                      > Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
                      > Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
                      > geelong@k...
                    • TIM MELLOR
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 29, 2001
                        Hi Dave,

                        can you send us about half of that to sunny calm Victoria under 5 knots for
                        about 10 days now :-((( All we get to do is Surf and watch the Whales in
                        the Bay and drink Guinness!

                        Regards

                        Tim Mellor
                        Kite-House