Re: [ksurf] YES KITEBOARDING @ Belmont,Calif. July 4th?

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2001
      <LA2WNDSRF@...> wrote:

      > I'm not happy about it and I am going to RANT...
      >
      > wow, we really know how to tell ourselves 'NO!"
      >
      > Good thing I have a trip planned out of town
      > i think it is prejudicial of these lifeguards - WE HAVEN'T HURT ANYONE.
      >
      > What about the JETSKI'S ???!!!
      > - they have a track record of killing people in Long Beach-
      > but they aren't banned on the 4th, what's up with this?

      What's up is that jetskis "only" kill people who are in the water*, which is
      not much more crowded on the 4th than any summer weekend. On the other
      hand, the beach is MUCH more crowded on the 4th, & we kiteboarders have a
      greater potential for injuring somebody on the beach, compared to a jetski.
      I feel that unless we get a kiting area set aside for "no bystanders",
      kiting on the 4th is not going to happen.
      *not including slow death by air & water pollution

      > KEEP TELLING AND SHOWING THEM HOW SAFE WE ARE TO OTHERS

      I agree with that 110%. That's a very good plan.

      > we must stand UP for our Right to Exist since WE aren't creating the
      problem.

      Who is creating the problem, the innocent bystanders who come to the beach
      on their holiday? We can't expect the masses to yield to us.

      Mel