Re: Twintips for less than £50 !

  • jmullmd@home.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001
      Dave,

      Just checked your pics and I think it's a beauty. One of the best
      values I've seen. Has it got you wondering about a real inexpensive way
      to make a lighter one? Suggestions with inexpensive foams?

      Great job!

      John

      --- In kitesurf@y..., "Dave Folkard" <dave@f...> wrote:
      > Maybe this is re-inventing the wheel.
      > Anyhow, it is an alternative to the 'Bolt straps onto an old surfboard su=
      ggestion' and the result is a cheapo twintip:

      > A couple of weeks ago I laminated up an all wood twin tip, just for the h=
      ell of it.
      > 3 layers of 3.6mm ply glued up, with rocker built in. (<£15)
      > Fins bolted through from the Top (These were the expensive bit ~ £30. But=
      reusable)
      > Footstraps Bolted through from the bottom with countersunk heads. (Borrow=
      ed off an old windsurfer)
      > Sharp rails + a few coats of varnish.
      > Probably less than 4 hours work.
      >
      > Similar in shape to Litewave 169 but a bit shorter and less rocker.
      >
      > Initial thoughts were it was a bit heavy and flexible compared to 'real' =
      boards.

      > How does it work?
      >
      > F***ING BRILLIANT
      >
      > Very easy to use. No unpleasant suprises. Rips upwind like nothing else.
      > Verrrrry Smooooooooth.
      >
      > This might not be the best spinny jumping machine. However, it is THE cru=
      ising board.
      > If you want to experiment with shapes & sizes or just want to see how you=
      get on with a TT its a sure cheap way to a bomproof board.
      > I'm not sure how much I fancy having BIG waves tossing this board at me. =
      But I'll just have to find out.

      > The ultra cheap option is to take plaster of Paris moulds of a fin of you=
      r choice and 'cast your own' in Resin.

    • kltorrance@ktorrance.freeserve.co.uk
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2001

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2001
          Sorry I screwed up my last message. What I mant to say is how did you
          make the deck pads or did you but them?

          Great looking board by the way.

          Keith