Re: [ksurf] ARX 7.5 + 11.5 vs. ARX 9.5 + 13.5

  • Roland Andrag
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
      Mike, I think that depends on whether you are getting a third kite in the
      loooong term. If you are, then 7.5, 11.5, 15.5/AB11.8 make a very nice
      series. With the 9.5 + 13.5 you end up adding either a very large kite
      (considering your weight) or a very small kite.

      If you'll only ever have the two then 9.5 + 13.5 would be better, or maybe
      even 7.5 + 13.5, although that is quite a jump.

      One more thing: the 7.5, 11.5 seems to be more compatible with the wipika
      series, although with the current flood of new manufacturers this is
      probably not a consideration. What I mean is that both the 7.5 and 11.5 are
      pretty close to currently available Wipika sizes in both the Freeair and
      Airblast ranges, so you can switch between manufacturers:

      7.5: 2000 FA 6.5 or AB6.3
      11.5: 2000 FA 8.5 or AB 8.4
      15.5: AB 11.8, dont know about FreeAir.

      If you are only buying one right now, I'd say get the 11.5 or equivalent (my
      FreeAir 8.5 is by FAR my most used kite). My order of purchase would then
      be: 11.5, 15.5, 7.5 if you have more light wind days than otherwise.

      Roland

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
        Thx your quick reply.

        Yes, I do plan to buy a 3rd kite but not this year.

        Also, isn't the ARX 15.5 too big? I don't want to get too much into
        light wind k/surfing.

        Also the kites have to be ARX (I got a good deal)

        Thanks
        Mike

        unsubscribe@egroups.com >>>

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • kitemanic@yahoo.co.uk
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
          ARX15.5 too big? I dunno bout u but I just got a 17.5 which I expect
          to be ripping it up in 12-17knots, which there's a hell of a lot of
          in QLD summer.
          lates,
          DREW

        • Mel
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2001
            <mikeiacovides@...> wrote:

            > I'm facing the following dilemma :
            >
            > Buy ARX 7.5 + 11.5,
            > OR ARX 9.5 + 13.5 ???
            >
            > The facts:
            > My weight is 61kg
            > My board is a 6'6'' directional
            > Winds most of the time: 11-16 knots (4 bft)
            > Winds quite often: 7-10 knots or 17-21 knots (3 or 5 bft)
            > Winds occasionally: upto 25/30 knots (6-7 bft)

            I'm about 62 kg, & used to ride a 6'6 (Naish), but switched to a 6' (Naish,
            then Fanatic), & have spent a LOT of time with my only kite (7.5AR5) in
            similar conditions, as well as a 13.5 I had for a short time.
            The facts:
            7.5 is too big for us in 30 (barely hanging on), but 25 is barely okay.
            9.5 is too big for us in 25
            7.5 is big enough for us in 11
            13.5 is no good in 7 (too slow to be able to "work" it)*
            7.5 & 13.5 ranges overlap

            Personally, if I wanted to ride in under 10 knots, I'd want to try an 11.5,
            to see if it's not too big & slow to "work" it in those light winds, OR a
            15.5, since even though I know I couldn't "work" it, at least it would
            "park" in less.

            Hope this helps.

            Mel