Re: [ksurf] Re: Why use a loop? Direct Connect!

  • DaveTerry@c4image.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2001
      No More harness. I took the bar off, replaced it with a plastic covered
      loop like a harness loop and connect direct from the center line of my four
      line system(FLS) and use a release called a "three ring circus" adapted
      from parachutes and created about 50 years ago. The ring and ball is my
      saftey. This is attached to a SS ring on my harness. When I'm done kiting,
      I just release the 3ring circus and the kite is still attached by the
      saftey. And yes, I was kind of scared to do away with the loops, but once
      it was set up and I started playing with it in the backyard, I just
      couldn't see any reason to have the loops at all. I'm no pro..just logical.
      I believe the harness loop and hook are great for sailboard, but I have no
      need to "unhook". Try it out.You can use a snap shackle to replace the
      3ringcircus.. .

      >You do away with the harness bar entirely? What do you use to attach
      >the kite to your harness? I understand using a direct connect with a
      >ring and ball safety, but that is to cut the kite from yourself
      >totally in an emergency to save yourself? Does your system allow for
      >a depowered release like the leash system? If it works it is a
      >revelation!! Maybe I'm a pussy and I don't want to do away with my
      >leash like some guy's I kitesurf with, but when I see kids on the
      >beach downwind of me, I have to wonder what could happen even if you
      >are a "pro"?
      >Steve
      >Antigua
      >
      >--- In kitesurf@y..., DaveTerry@c... wrote:
      >> I've been using a direct connect from my handlebar to the harness
      >with no
      >> harness bar and a line which allows travel around the harness. It
      >works
      >> great. I use a ring and ball saftey which also connects to a ring
      >attached
      >> to my harness. After a week, I can see no reason to use the bar, or
      >those
      >> loops. Actually, I imagine the only reason to use a loop is to get
      >on the
      >> other side of a sail. Since I'm not sailing, the entire idea of the
      >loop
      >> seems kind of dumb. Has anyone else realized the value of a direct
      >connect
      >> to the handlebar?.
      >>
      >> Dave Terry@c...
      >> POB 321