These Damn Crappy Harnesses

  • darrenthepres@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2001
      Aloha all,

      In my wanderings and in my own experience, nobody seems to make a
      bomb proof harness.

      I have ripped broken and torn my way through several harnesses,
      before going back to my trusty and very old DaKine seat harness of
      about three years ago. (many patches but still works well)

      Everyone I speak to over her (Oahu) seems to be of the same opinion.
      My friend Sheldon has been through 4 DaKine kite harnesses (the new
      ones with the hook knife) in as many months.

      The Wipika harnesses seem to fall apart and be very uncomfortable
      from the reports I get from the people who wear them. To the point
      where one guy has the nastiest oozing abrasion sores,which look like
      his guts are falling out through his skin where the harness rubs.

      What is wrong with the manufacturers? Why can't someone build a
      decent seat harness? If they do they will clean up, as everyone I
      speak to who loves their seats can't find a good one.

      With regard to spreaders, don't waste your time with anything but
      Stainless Steel (speaking from experience).

      I am now using a seemingly bomb proof waist harness that has great
      fit, is comfy, and is in perfect condition after sailing almost
      everyday for a month in a variety of conditions. The humble Stonker
      Waist harness. It's doin the job right for me!

      To all other manufacturers: Please build something designed to last
      more than 2 weeks. Stop using shit quality plastic moulded buckles
      and spend a bit more time throwing a few extra stitches into the load
      bearing areas. Most of the problems I have seen come from poor
      quality control and sacrifices of quality for production speed.

      My 2 bob's worth,

      Deejay