Harness - waist and seat

  • Pat Morrisey
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2001
      I have used both seat and waist harnesses quite a bit and find I am able to
      adjust my style to the angle of pull with either. I prefer a seat harness
      because it does not ride up on my rib cage and chest.
      Yesterday I discovered that when riding in the power loop with my seat
      harness, I can make trim loop adjustments by bending my knees and sinking
      down towards the water/board. I had not noticed that before.
      Another observation/question! I hook into my harness when I launch the kite
      and unhook just before I get in my car to go home. I always beachstart,
      waterstart, ride, jibe, and jump hooked in to either my harness or power
      loop. How about you? BTW I am not real new and I am generally in control.
      (This does not seem too controversial, but flame on if you must.)
    • kitemanic@yahoo.co.uk
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2001
        Yeah I ride hooked in virtually the entire time too. depending on
        whether I'm using a fourline kite (in which case I'm always hooked
        in) or a two line kite (I unhook to do certain moves). Basically the
        only time I unhook is to do certain moves or to get my edge for big
        air using a two line kite. Also I've used both seat and waist and
        much prefer waist.

        On the subject of harnesses, the thing that has caused me the most
        grief is spreader bars. I must have gone through about 5 spreaders
        in the last eight months. I used to use the aluminum da kine type
        that come standard on most da kine harnesses... I soon stopped using
        those, I think wire coat hangers are stronger. I got sick of broken
        spreaders and the awkward position they put you in, especially if
        they break when you're powered on a four line kite cuz then you got
        no depowering...
        so I bought a 'reactor' spreader after being told they are bomb-proof
        by a windsurfer at a shop in Newcastle. Well it sure looked tuff,
        had to be 3.5mm thick at least, and a bolt w/ roller instead of
        hook. But it only took one decent stack about two months down the
        track to put an end to that spreader. I stacked my 11.5, still
        hooked in to chicken loop. My board was underwater and I still had
        both feet in bindings, kite went straight thru power zone, board
        acted like a sea anchor. Basically I thought I was going to be torn
        in half. I did survive this with no injury, however when I was up
        and going again I looked at my spreader, which by now more resemble a
        giant horse-shoe. So much for the bomb-proof "reactor" bar.

        After that I went and bought a stainless Neil Pryde spreader, and I'm
        currently using the same one. This spreader has taken ten times the
        beating of any other spreaders I've had, and I'll definitely be
        sticking with the stainless spreaders from now on.

        There could be some money in this topic, a kite-brand name could make
        a titanium/carbon spreader, put a name like "Kite-spank spreader" on
        it and everyone could buy them for $200. Or has it already been done?
        lates,
        DREW