Re: Waterstart w/waist harness

  • kitework@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2001
      -Thx Steven

      My main problem is in wasit deep water I can get up and go
      once I am in deep water to do a water start when I lower the bar to
      the hook it took a lot of strength cause the hook is low and once I
      hook in my body start to twist and I could not have to time to grab
      the board and position it and my body will face the other way so I
      think with the high hook would that been easier I just haven,t have
      the chance to try it yet what you think plz help thx

      -- In kitesurf@y..., "Kitepower" <kitepower@b...> wrote:
      > G'day
      >
      > Most people learn to waterstart unhooked so it does not matter
      which type of
      > harness you use, even a lot of advanced riders still waterstart
      unhooked,
      > personally sometimes I waterstart hooked in mostly I do not.
      > When learning it is best to not hook in until after you are
      standing up and
      > planing, to avoid being dragged over the board's fins/underwater if
      you get
      > things wrong.
      > The different styles of harnesses suit different riding styles and
      more
      > importantly IMO - your body shape. I have found that I have to
      stock a large
      > range of brands of both types of harnesses just to suit all the
      different
      > shapes of people we get through our stores.
      > Cya and
      > Goodwinds
      > Steve McCormack
      > www.kitepower.com.au
      > sydney@k...
      > 126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
      > Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
      > Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
      > geelong@k...
      >

      > Subject: [ksurf] Waterstart w/waist harness
      >

      > To waterstart a Directional board is it much easy with a
      > waist harness than a seatharness does it make sense plz advice
      >
      > thx
    • Kitepower
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2001
        Well, I still think a waist harness is not going to stop your body twisting.
        Your body is twisting under the kite because you are either applying uneven
        pressure to your board, or you have steered the kite too much to one side.
        Practice getting both feet onto the board (not absolutely necessary to be in
        both straps) and steer yourself and the board by applying different pressure
        with your feet. If you are being twisted to the left push on the board with
        your right foot and keep the kite overhead, and vice versa.
        Cya and
        Goodwinds
        Steve McCormack
        www.kitepower.com.au
        open 7 days
        126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
        Phone +61293157894

        Subject: [ksurf] Re: Waterstart w/waist harness

      • kitemanic@yahoo.co.uk
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2001
          Yup I agree. I remember having the same problem when I was learning,
          the best and easiest way to stop rotating in the water is to use your
          spare hand to keep your position. Just use your hand like a rudder
          and it's pretty easy to move yourself about.
          ok lates,
          DREW

          unsubscribe@egroups.com >>>

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • fishersfort@attglobal.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 2, 2001
            --- In kitesurf@y..., kitework@y... wrote:
            > -Thx Steven
            >
            > My main problem is in wasit deep water I can get up and go
            > once I am in deep water to do a water start when I lower the bar to
            > the hook it took a lot of strength cause the hook is low and once I
            > hook in my body start to twist and I could not have to time to grab
            > the board and position it and my body will face the other way so I
            > think with the high hook would that been easier I just haven,t have
            > the chance to try it yet what you think plz help thx

            I higher hook does make you more stable. When I was learning if found
            myself more unbalanced with a low hook. You will overcome this
            problem soon, so switching harnesses might not be worth the trouble.
            When I was learning I had a low hook speedseat windsurfing harness
            and a high hook wavesailing harness which I owned from my windsuring
            days. I also found longer harness lines improved my stabilty. Having
            the bar down near my chest was worse than when it was up near my face
            while trying to mount the board.
          • Roland Andrag
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 2, 2001
              > myself more unbalanced with a low hook. You will overcome this
              > problem soon, so switching harnesses might not be worth the trouble.

              I could not agree with this statement more. Give it a session or three, and
              you'll be slipping into those footstraps no problems.. Basically it comes
              down to small kite movements and using your hands/legs/board to steer
              yourself in the water.

              For example, if you have your feet in the straps, and feel yourself starting
              to turn clockwise looking from the top, move the board to your left to stop
              the rotation, and vice versa. Moving the bar does the same kind of thing (if
              you rotate clockwise, move the bar to the right), and this is one place
              where having windsurfed does help - if you can waterstart a windsurfer you
              already know how to move the sail (bar in the case of a kite) to position
              yourself. When I say 'move the bar', I do really mean move the bar (I don't
              mean steer the kite - that is a different matter).

              Roland
            • saulkite@yahoo.co.uk
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 2, 2001
                --- In kitesurf@y..., "Roland Andrag" <randrag@i...> wrote:
                > > myself more unbalanced with a low hook. You will overcome this
                > > problem soon, so switching harnesses might not be worth the
                trouble.

                > I could not agree with this statement more. Give it a session or
                three, and
                > you'll be slipping into those footstraps no problems.. Basically it
                comes
                > down to small kite movements and using your hands/legs/board to
                steer
                > yourself in the water.
                >
                > For example, if you have your feet in the straps, and feel yourself
                starting
                > to turn clockwise looking from the top, move the board to your left
                to stop
                > the rotation, and vice versa. Moving the bar does the same kind of
                thing (if
                > you rotate clockwise, move the bar to the right), and this is one
                place
                > where having windsurfed does help - if you can waterstart a
                windsurfer you
                > already know how to move the sail (bar in the case of a kite) to
                position
                > yourself. When I say 'move the bar', I do really mean move the bar
                (I don't
                > mean steer the kite - that is a different matter

                If this happens to me I simply 'swim' myself around with a few
                paddles while flying the kite with the other hand - simple but
                effective!

                Saul