Re: Conflict of Interest : etc etc etc

  • Greg Walsh
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
      Commercial operator not allowed to be office bearers in associations?
      What a concept. We'd better tell the board of the HGFA and the GFA
      and just about every other sporting association in Oz to resign.

      Pity. I'm certainly not going to volunteer to do committee work. I
      just pay my membership, get my insurance and t-shirt and get on with
      doing what I want to do. If a commercial operator wants to do all the
      work good for them. I can't think of anyone better qualified to run
      an association than someone who's living may be directly related to
      the success of the venture. Hunger and mortagages really focus the
      mind don't you think? Keep up the good work, don't rip us off and
      don't fuck up. If you do we'll exact the ultimate revenge. We'll
      ignore you and go kitesurfing.
    • darrenthepres@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
        Hey Aruzer,

        I'm sorry, I knew the wind situation in Australia was desperate, but
        jeez, I had no idea it had become so bad.

        I recommend taking two asprin and getting a flight to somewhere windy
        and spend a few days kiting, then come see me again if your pain
        doesn't go away.

        At least if you take the trip, our pain will go away. ;~)

        I pray for wind for you,

        Darren Marshall
        President AKSA

        (This is my final post on this thread)

        --- In kitesurf@y..., aruzer@y... wrote:
> [...]
        > >
        > > We do have strong support from a small handful of individuals in
        > some
        > > states willing to start putting things together in their local
        area
        > > to get the new structure off the ground, and to these people I
        and
        > > the committee members, I say thank you.
        > >
        > > Let me also tell you, 12 months ago when I used to send out the
        > > newsletter to all members via email, I would get NO RESPONSE from
        > 70
        > > recipients, even after a call to respond with a reply, just to
        make
        > > sure my email was working I would get 1 or 2 replies. This shows
        > the
        > > general level of apathy in the Australian kitesurfing community.
        >
        > > Typical, no one says a word or lifts a finger to help, the
        > committee
        > > work hard and then those that enjoy the fruits of the committees
        > > labour sit around whinging and accusing of conflict of interest?
        > > Wake up to yourself. Now who's credability is looking shaky?
        >
        > (R) Whats New, it's like our cricket club, but we are not whingeing.
        > At least our Chairman doesn't own the Sports Shop.
        > >
        > > Thanks and sorry to all the persons who do care and make an
        effort.

        > (R) To buy product from us.
        >
        > > My personal thanks also go out to my fellow AKSA committee
        members
        > > who are at home in the cold, not kitesurfing and still working
        > > tirelessly in my absence. My hat is off to you blokes.
        > >

        > > MAHALO!
        > >
        > > Darren Marshall
        > > Founding President, Australian Kite Surfing Association.
        > > And Owner Operator of Australian Kiteboarding School
        >
        > CHECKLIST Sec/Treasurer web site with competition with no T/C
        permit
        > Raffle on Reg premises no permit.
        > Hope the Insurance deal has no similar oversights....
        >

        > Cheers,
        > aruzer
        >

        > > --- In kitesurf@y..., aruzer@y... wrote:
        > > > Yes Darren,
        > > > But the AKSA has a credibility problem.In Australian
        > > > public sporting organisations, People
        > > > in ownership or
        > > > with a vested interest in a commercial business selling
        > > > equipment are normally barred from public office.
        > > > Is he AKSA Secretary?
        > > > It's not that Steve may be a top guy or the best man for the
        > > > job, it's just that people will say he could use his influence
        > > > as secretary for contacts for product sales.
        > > > Didn't anyone think about this when you elected him?
        > > > Look what happens to politicians with a vested interest.
        > > > Chop chop.
        > > > From what I've seen of him on this board he is an honest man
        > > > and certainly isn't a guy who would sell kites from the boot of
        > his
        > > > car. I'm sorry, In most organisations people who sell product
        > > > distance themselves from public organisations.

        Long

      • aruzer@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 2, 2001
          Darren,
          Well that's right. No doubt you and the guys having had
          that situation brought to your attention will work
          to attract
          new members from a non business background.
          I would suggest you extend your committee to 12
          (appoint 6 Non Biz 6 Biz (healthy Mix)
          That's 4 more committee members. I also think that
          it should be the AKANZ.)Why not open and extend membership to
          New Zealanders?
          Could be good
          aruzer

        • TIM MELLOR
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 3, 2001
            Dear Mr RUZER,

            stop trying to stir the pot, do the smart thing at the next AGM and get you
            and all of your good mates to stand against the EVIL commercial sponsors and
            promoters of Kitesurfing in this Country. When you have suckseeded in your
            attempt then try and approach the same people for sponsorship and see how
            far you get!!!! I think you will find over time even though it may have been
            instigated and run by commercial interests others will eventually finish up
            running it, we have enough to do in running a business! Just out of interest
            who are you really? Are you a commercial operator in disguise just beating
            up your competition?

            Regards :-)))

            Tim Mellor
            Kite-House

            PS The wind here also SUCKS big time 1-3 Knots.