Re: Conflict of Interest : Secretary Position AKSA

  • dave@machelp.com.au
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
      Yo Drew, sounds like you might put your hand up for an AKSA position.
      Maybe a position as committee member for wakeboard moves. ;-)

      Seriously though, this issue has come come up before in my experience.
      As a member of a number of sports, community and business groups, the
      fact that I run businesses that can possibly be seen as a conflict of
      interest in these groups when I take an executive position has caused a
      problem with other members. This has at least once led to those
      opposing my position to either leave the group or refuse to participate
      in its operation.

      From my perspective I would have been happy to support other capable
      persons to make themselves available for election. But as often happens
      there are few who wish to take on the positions on the executive of a
      committee knowing there is work involved. It is often easier to
      criticise the result than volunteer to work for changes you see as
      worthwhile.

      I constantly sought feedback to ensure that I didn't exploit my
      position on the committee. However I must admit that by just being on
      the executive was good for business. It gave me a higher profile and
      publicity as well as making useful contacts I would otherwise not
      easily made. But ultimately when the position became available at the
      AGM I was re-elected which I believed was a vote of support that I was
      fulfilling my obligations with due diligence.

      However the conflict of interest issue never dies and is constantly
      raised by those who disagree with the committee whether it is true or
      not. Unfortunately it is the perception of conflict of interest that is
      all that is needed to fuel the issue, not proof of its occurence. It
      can lead to general disunity right through to formation of rival groups
      all seeking the same members.

      But in support of commercial executive members, such as myself in my
      organisations and the many of the AKSA committee, they often have more
      incentive to perform than the average member as their livelihoods are
      more dependent on the success of the sport and its access to venues.
      They also tend to have extensive and varied business knowledge which is
      an essential component in running a not for profit organisation
      nowadays. (At least that's the case in Australia!) It would be ideal if
      our organisations had executive members who were competent lawyers,
      accountants, company directors etc but that's usually wishful thinking
      and just filling the main committee positions can be such a struggle
      that sometimes two positions have to be filled by one person.

      I'm sure that the AKSA and other similar organisations have the
      required mechanisms for dispute resolution by members. And Internet
      groups such as this certainly give the opportunity for greivances to be
      aired.

      However if you are would rather just complain than put your hand up to
      do the work of an executive member or offer some equally valued service
      to the organisation, don't expect a great deal of respect.

      Anyway have fun kitesurfing and yes we are short of wind in Australia
      so expect us to be a bit terse at the moment :-)

      Dave (Dr Surf Australia 02 4443 7665) COM

    • Greg Walsh
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
        Commercial operator not allowed to be office bearers in associations?
        What a concept. We'd better tell the board of the HGFA and the GFA
        and just about every other sporting association in Oz to resign.

        Pity. I'm certainly not going to volunteer to do committee work. I
        just pay my membership, get my insurance and t-shirt and get on with
        doing what I want to do. If a commercial operator wants to do all the
        work good for them. I can't think of anyone better qualified to run
        an association than someone who's living may be directly related to
        the success of the venture. Hunger and mortagages really focus the
        mind don't you think? Keep up the good work, don't rip us off and
        don't fuck up. If you do we'll exact the ultimate revenge. We'll
        ignore you and go kitesurfing.
      • darrenthepres@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
          Hey Aruzer,

          I'm sorry, I knew the wind situation in Australia was desperate, but
          jeez, I had no idea it had become so bad.

          I recommend taking two asprin and getting a flight to somewhere windy
          and spend a few days kiting, then come see me again if your pain
          doesn't go away.

          At least if you take the trip, our pain will go away. ;~)

          I pray for wind for you,

          Darren Marshall
          President AKSA

          (This is my final post on this thread)

        • aruzer@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 2, 2001
            Darren,
            Well that's right. No doubt you and the guys having had
            that situation brought to your attention will work
            to attract
            new members from a non business background.
            I would suggest you extend your committee to 12
            (appoint 6 Non Biz 6 Biz (healthy Mix)
            That's 4 more committee members. I also think that
            it should be the AKANZ.)Why not open and extend membership to
            New Zealanders?
            Could be good
            aruzer

          • TIM MELLOR
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 3, 2001
              Dear Mr RUZER,

              stop trying to stir the pot, do the smart thing at the next AGM and get you
              and all of your good mates to stand against the EVIL commercial sponsors and
              promoters of Kitesurfing in this Country. When you have suckseeded in your
              attempt then try and approach the same people for sponsorship and see how
              far you get!!!! I think you will find over time even though it may have been
              instigated and run by commercial interests others will eventually finish up
              running it, we have enough to do in running a business! Just out of interest
              who are you really? Are you a commercial operator in disguise just beating
              up your competition?

              Regards :-)))

              Tim Mellor
              Kite-House

              PS The wind here also SUCKS big time 1-3 Knots.