Drift Launch (was Re: [ksurf] Re: Foils and gusty wind myth!)

  • Roland Andrag
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
      Matt, can you describe the procedure you use to drift launch your
      inflatables these days?

      Thanks

      Roland
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2001
        Hopefully Matt or others with more expertise will reply, but I had to
        learn to deal with this on an inland lake with the choice of trees or
        water for a launch area.
        I use a longhorn, slide up the leader type bar with a wrist leash
        that can be clipped to either side. Our lake has several points or
        peninsulas that stick out into a basically side shore wind.If the
        wind is coming from the right I use my leash on the right side(could
        also just wind the lines as if you had a right hand leash).I
        carefully wind my right front and rear leaders(full kite span length)
        and half hitch securely to bar. Gather all four lines and wind the
        rest of the way and half hitch. From the down wind side of the point
        I let my kite drift out,preferably just behind the wind line
        sheltered by the point. Hopefully it ends up on its side, headed out
        the direction I need, 90%, sometimes it gets onto the leading edge.
        Either way I unwind to the first halfhitch, undo and quickly undo
        last few wraps of right leader and quickly again tension right side
        or never let off the tension. This is all pretty easy when in the
        area sheltered from the direct wind and you can unwind faster than
        the kite drifts. If it does get onto the leading edge I water start
        as after a crash, sometimes I can stay on land until the kites in the
        air, sometimes the amount of pull and lack of footing in the mud
        pulls me into deeper water.
        I have done this directly in the wind from back of a boat however if
        your wraps are wrong or you dont maintain even rate of unwrapping on
        all four lines or you slip and drop the bar or, or, or, you can end
        up with a powered up kite and no way to controll. Only happened once,
        had to release a tangled mess of half unwound lines that happened to
        snag in a perfect position for full power. Ever since then I usually
        redo my line wraps from previous session before start and get in area
        sheltered from the full force of the wind. In some wind it is easier
        to keep the kite on its side as it drifts out,completely sheltered it
        will go onto the leading edge and then you need to get it back into
        the wind in order to flip it on its back.
        Had same problem as Matt with my foil kites, needed clear land to
        yank the kite into the air and hope it inflates before it crashes
        from lack of control and couldnt use the drift method without kite
        being inflated. Now have a dirt devil plug into the cigarrette
        lighter mini car vaccum with a wipika strut bladder duct taped in
        place of the regular bag. Cut off the tip of the bladder and can
        insert it into the vent of my 12 m flysurfer and inlate in 1 minute.
        Drift launch described above is even easier with my foils compared to
        AR5s. Kite stays on its trailing edge with the back lines tensioned
        until ready to be launched. M. Elliott

      • kitesurfmn@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2001
          My Drift launch method is pretty much as decribed below. I have found
          that it also works to set the kit down LE into the wind while
          unwinding as the kite drifts away. The kite will not usually spin
          until it reaches the end of the lines with some tension.

          I have had 100% success drift launching, but others in my area have
          had problems. All problems that I have seen relate to line tangles. I
          only use q-power lines, which seem to eliminate this issue.

          Matt

        • Roland Andrag
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 4, 2001
            Thanks for the two long explanations - much appreciated!

            Roland