Re: Conflict of Interest : Secretary Position AKSA

  • kitemanic@yahoo.co.uk
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1 2:22 AM
      Yo Steve, sounds like you got some professional computer-kite-
      slanderer-nerds on your ass! Well you said you wouldnt get caught up
      in this stuff after the last thread, so let's see you do just that.
      Like you said they're just trolling, obviously.
      lates,
      DREW

      aruzer, very warrior like name, must be tuff! :P
      if aruzer put half as much energy into writing funny posts then he'd
      probably be able to surpass tODD with ease...

      --- In kitesurf@y..., aruzer@y... wrote:
> [...]
      > >
      > > We do have strong support from a small handful of individuals in
      > some
      > > states willing to start putting things together in their local
      area
      > > to get the new structure off the ground, and to these people I
      and
      > > the committee members, I say thank you.
      > >
      > > Let me also tell you, 12 months ago when I used to send out the
      > > newsletter to all members via email, I would get NO RESPONSE from
      > 70
      > > recipients, even after a call to respond with a reply, just to
      make
      > > sure my email was working I would get 1 or 2 replies. This shows
      > the
      > > general level of apathy in the Australian kitesurfing community.
      >
      > > Typical, no one says a word or lifts a finger to help, the
      > committee
      > > work hard and then those that enjoy the fruits of the committees
      > > labour sit around whinging and accusing of conflict of interest?
      > > Wake up to yourself. Now who's credability is looking shaky?
      >
      > (R) Whats New, it's like our cricket club, but we are not whingeing.
      > At least our Chairman doesn't own the Sports Shop.
      > >
      > > Thanks and sorry to all the persons who do care and make an
      effort.

      > (R) To buy product from us.
      >
      > > My personal thanks also go out to my fellow AKSA committee
      members
      > > who are at home in the cold, not kitesurfing and still working
      > > tirelessly in my absence. My hat is off to you blokes.
      > >

      > > MAHALO!
      > >
      > > Darren Marshall
      > > Founding President, Australian Kite Surfing Association.
      > > And Owner Operator of Australian Kiteboarding School
      >
      > CHECKLIST Sec/Treasurer web site with competition with no T/C
      permit
      > Raffle on Reg premises no permit.
      > Hope the Insurance deal has no similar oversights....
      >

      > Cheers,
      > aruzer
      >

      > > --- In kitesurf@y..., aruzer@y... wrote:
      > > > Yes Darren,
      > > > But the AKSA has a credibility problem.In Australian
      > > > public sporting organisations, People
      > > > in ownership or
      > > > with a vested interest in a commercial business selling
      > > > equipment are normally barred from public office.
      > > > Is he AKSA Secretary?
      > > > It's not that Steve may be a top guy or the best man for the
      > > > job, it's just that people will say he could use his influence
      > > > as secretary for contacts for product sales.
      > > > Didn't anyone think about this when you elected him?
      > > > Look what happens to politicians with a vested interest.
      > > > Chop chop.
      > > > From what I've seen of him on this board he is an honest man
      > > > and certainly isn't a guy who would sell kites from the boot of
      > his
      > > > car. I'm sorry, In most organisations people who sell product
      > > > distance themselves from public organisations.

      Long

    • dave@machelp.com.au
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1 5:13 AM
        Yo Drew, sounds like you might put your hand up for an AKSA position.
        Maybe a position as committee member for wakeboard moves. ;-)

        Seriously though, this issue has come come up before in my experience.
        As a member of a number of sports, community and business groups, the
        fact that I run businesses that can possibly be seen as a conflict of
        interest in these groups when I take an executive position has caused a
        problem with other members. This has at least once led to those
        opposing my position to either leave the group or refuse to participate
        in its operation.

        From my perspective I would have been happy to support other capable
        persons to make themselves available for election. But as often happens
        there are few who wish to take on the positions on the executive of a
        committee knowing there is work involved. It is often easier to
        criticise the result than volunteer to work for changes you see as
        worthwhile.

        I constantly sought feedback to ensure that I didn't exploit my
        position on the committee. However I must admit that by just being on
        the executive was good for business. It gave me a higher profile and
        publicity as well as making useful contacts I would otherwise not
        easily made. But ultimately when the position became available at the
        AGM I was re-elected which I believed was a vote of support that I was
        fulfilling my obligations with due diligence.

        However the conflict of interest issue never dies and is constantly
        raised by those who disagree with the committee whether it is true or
        not. Unfortunately it is the perception of conflict of interest that is
        all that is needed to fuel the issue, not proof of its occurence. It
        can lead to general disunity right through to formation of rival groups
        all seeking the same members.

        But in support of commercial executive members, such as myself in my
        organisations and the many of the AKSA committee, they often have more
        incentive to perform than the average member as their livelihoods are
        more dependent on the success of the sport and its access to venues.
        They also tend to have extensive and varied business knowledge which is
        an essential component in running a not for profit organisation
        nowadays. (At least that's the case in Australia!) It would be ideal if
        our organisations had executive members who were competent lawyers,
        accountants, company directors etc but that's usually wishful thinking
        and just filling the main committee positions can be such a struggle
        that sometimes two positions have to be filled by one person.

        I'm sure that the AKSA and other similar organisations have the
        required mechanisms for dispute resolution by members. And Internet
        groups such as this certainly give the opportunity for greivances to be
        aired.

        However if you are would rather just complain than put your hand up to
        do the work of an executive member or offer some equally valued service
        to the organisation, don't expect a great deal of respect.

        Anyway have fun kitesurfing and yes we are short of wind in Australia
        so expect us to be a bit terse at the moment :-)

        Dave (Dr Surf Australia 02 4443 7665) COM

      • Greg Walsh
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 1 5:22 AM
          Commercial operator not allowed to be office bearers in associations?
          What a concept. We'd better tell the board of the HGFA and the GFA
          and just about every other sporting association in Oz to resign.

          Pity. I'm certainly not going to volunteer to do committee work. I
          just pay my membership, get my insurance and t-shirt and get on with
          doing what I want to do. If a commercial operator wants to do all the
          work good for them. I can't think of anyone better qualified to run
          an association than someone who's living may be directly related to
          the success of the venture. Hunger and mortagages really focus the
          mind don't you think? Keep up the good work, don't rip us off and
          don't fuck up. If you do we'll exact the ultimate revenge. We'll
          ignore you and go kitesurfing.
        • darrenthepres@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 1 10:32 AM
            Hey Aruzer,

            I'm sorry, I knew the wind situation in Australia was desperate, but
            jeez, I had no idea it had become so bad.

            I recommend taking two asprin and getting a flight to somewhere windy
            and spend a few days kiting, then come see me again if your pain
            doesn't go away.

            At least if you take the trip, our pain will go away. ;~)

            I pray for wind for you,

            Darren Marshall
            President AKSA

            (This is my final post on this thread)

          • aruzer@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 2 1:41 PM
              Darren,
              Well that's right. No doubt you and the guys having had
              that situation brought to your attention will work
              to attract
              new members from a non business background.
              I would suggest you extend your committee to 12
              (appoint 6 Non Biz 6 Biz (healthy Mix)
              That's 4 more committee members. I also think that
              it should be the AKANZ.)Why not open and extend membership to
              New Zealanders?
              Could be good
              aruzer

            • TIM MELLOR
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 3 1:11 AM
                Dear Mr RUZER,

                stop trying to stir the pot, do the smart thing at the next AGM and get you
                and all of your good mates to stand against the EVIL commercial sponsors and
                promoters of Kitesurfing in this Country. When you have suckseeded in your
                attempt then try and approach the same people for sponsorship and see how
                far you get!!!! I think you will find over time even though it may have been
                instigated and run by commercial interests others will eventually finish up
                running it, we have enough to do in running a business! Just out of interest
                who are you really? Are you a commercial operator in disguise just beating
                up your competition?

                Regards :-)))

                Tim Mellor
                Kite-House

                PS The wind here also SUCKS big time 1-3 Knots.