Re: Conflict of Interest : Secretary Position AKSA

  • Jeremy H
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
      Smart words from Darren!!

      The only thing he forgot to mention -
      Steve McCormack can be addressed as "PAPA KITE" as he is
      knowledgeable about all kites and kitesurfing related matters.
      He is known locally (in Sydney) by this name!

      Jeremy H

      --- In kitesurf@y..., darrenthepres@h... wrote:
> [...]
      > the committee members, I say thank you.
      >
      > Let me also tell you, 12 months ago when I used to send out the
      > newsletter to all members via email, I would get NO RESPONSE from
      70
      > recipients, even after a call to respond with a reply, just to make
      > sure my email was working I would get 1 or 2 replies. This shows
      the
      > general level of apathy in the Australian kitesurfing community.
      > Typical, no one says a word or lifts a finger to help, the
      committee
      > work hard and then those that enjoy the fruits of the committees
      > labour sit around whinging and accusing of conflict of interest?
      > Wake up to yourself. Now who's credability is looking shaky?
      >
      > Thanks and sorry to all the persons who do care and make an
      effort.
      > My personal thanks also go out to my fellow AKSA committee members
      > who are at home in the cold, not kitesurfing and still working
      > tirelessly in my absence. My hat is off to you blokes.
      >

      > MAHALO!
      >
      > Darren Marshall
      > Founding President, Australian Kite Surfing Association.
      > And Owner Operator of Australian Kiteboarding School
      >

      > --- In kitesurf@y..., aruzer@y... wrote:
      > > Yes Darren,
      > > But the AKSA has a credibility problem.In Australian
      > > public sporting organisations, People
      > > in ownership or
      > > with a vested interest in a commercial business selling
      > > equipment are normally barred from public office.
      > > Is he AKSA Secretary?
      > > It's not that Steve may be a top guy or the best man for the
      > > job, it's just that people will say he could use his influence
      > > as secretary for contacts for product sales.
      > > Didn't anyone think about this when you elected him?
      > > Look what happens to politicians with a vested interest.
      > > Chop chop.
      > > From what I've seen of him on this board he is an honest man
      > > and certainly isn't a guy who would sell kites from the boot of
      his
      > > car. I'm sorry, In most organisations people who sell product
      > > distance themselves from public organisations.
      > >

      > > --- In kitesurf@y..., kitemaster26@y... wrote:
      > > > great to hear what you have to say about steve ,Im sure he is a
      > > great
      > > > kite flyer after all he does own a kite/toy shop..
      > > >
      > > > But I have not said one word of a lie I have actually spoke to
      > you
      > > > about a kite I was looking to buy of kitepower ,you totaly
      > advised
      > > me
      > > > again'st it & said its not the right kite for me ,so I guess I
      > have
      > > > you to thank for that.. thanks dude!!
      > > >
      > > > But really who is the lier here & really who has to earn the
      > > respect
      > > > back after slagging off about bullshit to my good friends at
      > > > longreef ,the damage has been done & you cant take back what

      Delta

    • aruzer@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
        --- In kitesurf@y..., darrenthepres@h... wrote:
        > Aloha Aruzer,(Reply)Hi Darren
        >
        > Thanks for bringing this up mate. Yes you are correct, normally a
        > person with commercial interests is usually barred from holding
        > office in a public association.

        (Reply from Aruzer) That is correct.Well DO Something about it.

        Most people would do the walk of shame..But look what Steve
        posted..Instructions to Shut UP, from him
        not even the President. It looked hostile ..(brazen? Confident?
        Obviously he is in Total Control of the AKSA) and sadly you have
        allowed yourselves to become comprimised, complicit, and to accept
        the untoward situation because.........

        it's convenient,better to have something...... than nothing.

        Kinda like Like The reaction you get from a guy with from a beautiful
        wife he wants to keep when he tries to justiy her sleeping
        around. "Look !! She
        keeps the house clean. I don't have to do it and it allows me more
        time to kitesurf...." How dare you bring that up. We're not supposed
        to talk about that... or when you're caught in a gay pub by your mates
        because " I went to school with him"

        I'd hoped for something more honest than a hostile reply, may be
        something like.. "yeah it's not good is it? We made a mistake but
        that's only a short term appointment till we get the AKSA up and
        running to a level where it can be squeaky clean." Just give us time."

        (R)Please tell me I'm wrong?

        > This was brought up at the First General Meeting when the committee
        > was elected at the Georges River Sailing Club almost a year ago. I
        > had very strong concerns about persons with commercial interests
        > being on the committee.

        >(R)None ever should

        > During the election of the committee, I raised this point with the
        > members who sat in and voted and it was agreed unanimously, that we
        > would allow these exceptions.

        (R)WRONG nice atmosphere,nice guys,keen to get anything going so you
        comprimise your principles... Better to have waited and found 6
        other members. Not every member is in business surely !!!! The
        groundwork for the AKSA deserved better than that.

        > Now let me tell you, when I first took over the group of members
        from
        > Ian Young some 16 or 18 months ago, there was NO support, NO
        interest
        > and NO help from anyone but a few dedicated individuals who saw the
        > importance of getting a solid, proffessional, association up and
        off
        > the ground.

        (R)Oh That was in 2000 BK (Before Kitesurfing) None existed before
        then?
        Ian and others had in fact done quite a lot.True?

        (R) Guys from WA were not even invited to Attend.
        Maybe the name should be "The AKSA (Except WA) Inc.

        There was a clear, dire need to gain PL insurance, and
        > all the committee pulled hard together to acheive the great policy
        we
        > currently enjoy. (And pay for)

        (R) Could have been contracted out to Steve, He would still have done
        it I'm sure even if he wasn't the Sec/Treasurer ????

        > The committee is made up of 8 persons, 6 of whom have commercial
        > interests in the sport including myself with my school. If we were
        > all to vacate the positions, there would be NO ASSOCIATION, nothing
        > would get done, you wouldn't have insurance, there would be no one
        > working on a judging format, contest format, minimum requirements
        for
        > schools and instructors, and the Australian Kitesurfing scene would
        > be a lost sport when it came to dealing with the authorities, like
        > the Victorian Waterways incident.

        (R)
        In dealing with organisations like waterways you should declare
        whether you are a public organisation of just a group of self seeking
        businesmen. Of course that isn't the case but if it is you should
        disband your articles of Association (You have them) and reregister
        as a private company.

        Ie. We would be a joke
        > internationally. As it stands, to my knowledge, the AKSA is the
        most
        > proffessional, most organised association of it's type in the
        world.

        (R) respect is something that is acheived not assumed. You will take
        this matter in hand and fix it. You can hardly sweep it under the
        carpet or be told to "Shut up about it" Then you will have
        credibility.

        > I can make this statement with a fair amount of certainty, after
        > speaking with the President of the HKA (Hawaiian Kitesurfing
        > Association) who believed they were well organised until I spoke to
        > them about what we had done in Oz, they were amazed at our progress
        > and organisation. Also impressed was Eric Beaudonnat from Wipika
        > when he visited us in January, he was trying to assist in setting
        up
        > a worldwide association and found we were also most organised, and
        > Eric travels the world dealing with aassociations and schools as
        his
        > job!

        > (R)Go Go eric, Standard Reply (the Commercial) follows below from
        Darren

        > People like you who sit back, doing nothing but criticise the hard
        > working efforts of others, because you have a personal grudge or
        > whatever, really should be ashamed of yourself. Steve and the rest
        > of the committee work tirelessly on the AKSA. Steve also is
        holding
        > down two positions, (Secretary and Treasurer) because our treasurer
        > never showed.

        (R) Hold Elections then

        I have been watching out for all kitesurfers to ensure
        > that there is no bias, or commercial gain coming from the
        involvement
        > of those in office who have comm. interests, and to date I have
        seen
        > nothing which would cause me concern, during my time as President.

        (R) Big Brother eh? wink wink. A lot can happen when you are
        thousands of miles away.

        > Do you know that each and every committee member devotes around 3
        hrs
        > of their own personal time, to meetings EVERY WEEK, so that people
        > like you can enjoy the benefits of their work? This time is just
        the
        > time for meetings. Steve also takes time out of his commercial day
        > to go to the bank, run errands, visit government authorities, and
        > along with Paul C, made a trip to Victoria to sort out the mess
        made
        > by others so that people they have never met,
        can enjoy their beach
        > access, in places where they never kitesurf.

        (R) You have done this for me? Darren now gets upwind (Below)

        > You and people like you really make me angry. What have you done
        for
        > the sport of kitesurfing? I don't recall seeing you putting up
        your
        > hand at any meetings to devote your personal time to help the sport
        > grow in a controlled and proffessional manner. I apologise for my
        > unproffessional outburst, but see it from our point of view.
        >
        > We are putting together state chapters, which can then run their
        own
        > affairs and we can then bow out of the national association, which
        > will be made up of spokespersons from each state. Does this sound
        > fair to you? Each state chapter will be the group unto which local
        > clubs will join to speak about their local issues. This is the
        most
        > unbiased and democratic structure we can put together so that every
        > persons voice is heard and the structure is in place to push the
        > sport into the next ten years and further.
        >
        > We do have strong support from a small handful of individuals in
        some
        > states willing to start putting things together in their local area
        > to get the new structure off the ground, and to these people I and
        > the committee members, I say thank you.
        >
        > Let me also tell you, 12 months ago when I used to send out the
        > newsletter to all members via email, I would get NO RESPONSE from
        70
        > recipients, even after a call to respond with a reply, just to make
        > sure my email was working I would get 1 or 2 replies. This shows
        the
        > general level of apathy in the Australian kitesurfing community.

        > Typical, no one says a word or lifts a finger to help, the
        committee
        > work hard and then those that enjoy the fruits of the committees
        > labour sit around whinging and accusing of conflict of interest?
        > Wake up to yourself. Now who's credability is looking shaky?

        (R) Whats New, it's like our cricket club, but we are not whingeing.
        At least our Chairman doesn't own the Sports Shop.

        > Thanks and sorry to all the persons who do care and make an effort.

        (R) To buy product from us.

        > My personal thanks also go out to my fellow AKSA committee members
        > who are at home in the cold, not kitesurfing and still working
        > tirelessly in my absence. My hat is off to you blokes.
        >

        > MAHALO!
        >
        > Darren Marshall
        > Founding President, Australian Kite Surfing Association.
        > And Owner Operator of Australian Kiteboarding School

        CHECKLIST Sec/Treasurer web site with competition with no T/C permit
        Raffle on Reg premises no permit.
        Hope the Insurance deal has no similar oversights....

        Cheers,
        aruzer

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
          ---Jeremy, thanks for braving the embargo
          No this is not about whether Steve is well liked.
          I'm sure he is
          It's about the foundations of kitesurfing in Australia being built on
          foundations that we can all respect.
          To have our peak association enjoying total credibility
          Surely Darren and all the committee members
          AND MEMBERDS
          we would all like that

          Aruzer

        • kitemanic@yahoo.co.uk
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
            Yo Steve, sounds like you got some professional computer-kite-
            slanderer-nerds on your ass! Well you said you wouldnt get caught up
            in this stuff after the last thread, so let's see you do just that.
            Like you said they're just trolling, obviously.
            lates,
            DREW

            aruzer, very warrior like name, must be tuff! :P
            if aruzer put half as much energy into writing funny posts then he'd
            probably be able to surpass tODD with ease...

          • dave@machelp.com.au
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
              Yo Drew, sounds like you might put your hand up for an AKSA position.
              Maybe a position as committee member for wakeboard moves. ;-)

              Seriously though, this issue has come come up before in my experience.
              As a member of a number of sports, community and business groups, the
              fact that I run businesses that can possibly be seen as a conflict of
              interest in these groups when I take an executive position has caused a
              problem with other members. This has at least once led to those
              opposing my position to either leave the group or refuse to participate
              in its operation.

              From my perspective I would have been happy to support other capable
              persons to make themselves available for election. But as often happens
              there are few who wish to take on the positions on the executive of a
              committee knowing there is work involved. It is often easier to
              criticise the result than volunteer to work for changes you see as
              worthwhile.

              I constantly sought feedback to ensure that I didn't exploit my
              position on the committee. However I must admit that by just being on
              the executive was good for business. It gave me a higher profile and
              publicity as well as making useful contacts I would otherwise not
              easily made. But ultimately when the position became available at the
              AGM I was re-elected which I believed was a vote of support that I was
              fulfilling my obligations with due diligence.

              However the conflict of interest issue never dies and is constantly
              raised by those who disagree with the committee whether it is true or
              not. Unfortunately it is the perception of conflict of interest that is
              all that is needed to fuel the issue, not proof of its occurence. It
              can lead to general disunity right through to formation of rival groups
              all seeking the same members.

              But in support of commercial executive members, such as myself in my
              organisations and the many of the AKSA committee, they often have more
              incentive to perform than the average member as their livelihoods are
              more dependent on the success of the sport and its access to venues.
              They also tend to have extensive and varied business knowledge which is
              an essential component in running a not for profit organisation
              nowadays. (At least that's the case in Australia!) It would be ideal if
              our organisations had executive members who were competent lawyers,
              accountants, company directors etc but that's usually wishful thinking
              and just filling the main committee positions can be such a struggle
              that sometimes two positions have to be filled by one person.

              I'm sure that the AKSA and other similar organisations have the
              required mechanisms for dispute resolution by members. And Internet
              groups such as this certainly give the opportunity for greivances to be
              aired.

              However if you are would rather just complain than put your hand up to
              do the work of an executive member or offer some equally valued service
              to the organisation, don't expect a great deal of respect.

              Anyway have fun kitesurfing and yes we are short of wind in Australia
              so expect us to be a bit terse at the moment :-)

              Dave (Dr Surf Australia 02 4443 7665) COM

            • Greg Walsh
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
                Commercial operator not allowed to be office bearers in associations?
                What a concept. We'd better tell the board of the HGFA and the GFA
                and just about every other sporting association in Oz to resign.

                Pity. I'm certainly not going to volunteer to do committee work. I
                just pay my membership, get my insurance and t-shirt and get on with
                doing what I want to do. If a commercial operator wants to do all the
                work good for them. I can't think of anyone better qualified to run
                an association than someone who's living may be directly related to
                the success of the venture. Hunger and mortagages really focus the
                mind don't you think? Keep up the good work, don't rip us off and
                don't fuck up. If you do we'll exact the ultimate revenge. We'll
                ignore you and go kitesurfing.
              • darrenthepres@hotmail.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
                  Hey Aruzer,

                  I'm sorry, I knew the wind situation in Australia was desperate, but
                  jeez, I had no idea it had become so bad.

                  I recommend taking two asprin and getting a flight to somewhere windy
                  and spend a few days kiting, then come see me again if your pain
                  doesn't go away.

                  At least if you take the trip, our pain will go away. ;~)

                  I pray for wind for you,

                  Darren Marshall
                  President AKSA

                  (This is my final post on this thread)

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 2, 2001
                    Darren,
                    Well that's right. No doubt you and the guys having had
                    that situation brought to your attention will work
                    to attract
                    new members from a non business background.
                    I would suggest you extend your committee to 12
                    (appoint 6 Non Biz 6 Biz (healthy Mix)
                    That's 4 more committee members. I also think that
                    it should be the AKANZ.)Why not open and extend membership to
                    New Zealanders?
                    Could be good
                    aruzer

                  • TIM MELLOR
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 3, 2001
                      Dear Mr RUZER,

                      stop trying to stir the pot, do the smart thing at the next AGM and get you
                      and all of your good mates to stand against the EVIL commercial sponsors and
                      promoters of Kitesurfing in this Country. When you have suckseeded in your
                      attempt then try and approach the same people for sponsorship and see how
                      far you get!!!! I think you will find over time even though it may have been
                      instigated and run by commercial interests others will eventually finish up
                      running it, we have enough to do in running a business! Just out of interest
                      who are you really? Are you a commercial operator in disguise just beating
                      up your competition?

                      Regards :-)))

                      Tim Mellor
                      Kite-House

                      PS The wind here also SUCKS big time 1-3 Knots.